2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

Good ending tho the Rays/ Astros game.  Astros had cut it to 4-2 and had the bases loaded and two outs but Bregman flew out to center to end the game.  Astros defense killed them because with two outs and a slow grounder to second Altuve made a bad throw and the runner was safe. With runners on first and third the  next batter hit a 3 run homer.  What would upset me as a Astros fan is that if Altuve was playing a normal 2nd base it would have been an easy out. Instead he was out in short right field and had to come in and rush a throw.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Here's the trade I was talking about...

Joe Morgan was traded by the Houston Astros with Ed Armbrister, Jack Billingham, Cesar Geronimo and Denis Menke to the Cincinnati Reds for Tommy Helms, Lee May and Jimmy Stewart.

Only to be topped by getting George Foster from the Giants for for Frank Duffy and Vern Geishert.

Good God...

I would love to know what the beat writers said on moves like this. I know I'm going revisionist history but Good Lord! Besides my games at Wrigley I was always a big George Foster fan....and to this day I think it was because my Grandfather and I sat in the "Red" seats upper deck and Foster hit one just below us into I believe the 2nd deck at old Riverfront which were green.....

Anyway I can work a George Foster reference into my day is good by me. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

I would love to know what the beat writers said on moves like this. I know I'm going revisionist history but Good Lord! Besides my games at Wrigley I was always a big George Foster fan....and to this day I think it was because my Grandfather and I sat in the "Red" seats upper deck and Foster hit one just below us into I believe the 2nd deck at old Riverfront which were green.....

Anyway I can work a George Foster reference into my day is good by me. 

Yeah, I saw him hit one in old Busch Stadium in St Louis the year he hit 52 (77?). I was with 3 friends that are still Reds fans and they were all giddy...

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, I saw him hit one in old Busch Stadium in St Louis the year he hit 52 (77?). I was with 3 friends that are still Reds fans and they were all giddy...

Between him and Kingman those were the earliest days of my memory of power guys....and both probably weighed 175 max. Haha. 

58 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

What's 40 points between friends?

Different subject. What's the feeling in Houston about Astros and scandal from last year? I must admit the further they advance in playoffs the less I think about it. Sure it will always be known historically but is it water under the bridge to most fans?

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Different subject. What's the feeling in Houston about Astros and scandal from last year? I must admit the further they advance in playoffs the less I think about it. Sure it will always be known historically but is it water under the bridge to most fans?

It damn sure is to Astros fans...To be honest, they never cared anyway..."If you ain't cheatin', you ain't competin'!"

Went out yesterday and it seemed everyone besides me and my wife had Astros gear on...Cashier at the place we had lunch at even asked if we were going to watch the game tonight..."Uh, no."

44 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It damn sure is to Astros fans...To be honest, they never cared anyway..."If you ain't cheatin', you ain't competin'!"

Went out yesterday and it seemed everyone besides me and my wife had Astros gear on...Cashier at the place we had lunch at even asked if we were going to watch the game tonight..."Uh, no."

One of my best friends is from Chicago but grew up an Astros fan for 2 reasons. Their uniforms and JR Richard. Calls Katy home now and he's like nothing even happened. Haha.

I was so disappointed when the Reds traded Lee May. Of course i was only 13 or14 when it happened.  Joe fixed that disappointment pretty quick.  It is to bad that Tolan hurt his knee.  A healthy Tolan together with Morgan. wow.  Not that they didn't plenty of firepower.  Geronimo was a such a great CFer defensively.

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

One of my best friends is from Chicago but grew up an Astros fan for 2 reasons. Their uniforms and JR Richard. Calls Katy home now and he's like nothing even happened. Haha.

Saw JR pitch a 1-hit shutout in the Astrodome in 1977 v. Montreal.  He could throw smoke.

24 minutes ago, slojoe said:

Saw JR pitch a 1-hit shutout in the Astrodome in 1977 v. Montreal.  He could throw smoke.

The Astros had another flamethrower earlier on...Don Wilson...He could really bring it...Tragically died of asphyxiation  when he passed out at the wheel of his car after closing his garage door...

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

The Astros had another flamethrower earlier on...Don Wilson...He could really bring it...Tragically died of asphyxiation  when he passed out at the wheel of his car after closing his garage door...

And I thought you were gonna say Mike Cuellar...never mind. I will pillage myself a Colt .45 from your fridge and show myself the door

4 minutes ago, rico said:

And I thought you were gonna say Mike Cuellar...never mind. I will pillage myself a Colt .45 from your fridge and show myself the door

Colt 45? Very clever!

No, you'd get the good stuff! Olde English 800! 😁 

And wasn't Cuellar a screw baller?

Archived