2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

Ford's death reminded me of a book I read a couple of different times in my teens.  Love them or hate them, this is a fantastic book about the Yankees between 1949 and 1964.

It was my Dad's book, but I took ownership of it after he passed.   Now, I don't know where it's at.  It was in pretty bad shape with a broken spine and stuff like that. May have boxed it up or even purged it at some point.

I had a hankering to read it again after hearing about Whitey.

Anyway, here it is on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Dynasty-Yankees-1949-1964-Dover-Baseball/dp/0486477363

Edit:

Original Hardback from 1975.

https://www.amazon.com/Dynasty-New-York-Yankees-1949-1964/dp/0132223236/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

To me today we see way more injuries to pitchers than we did back then

That'd be hard to qualify. There were plenty of pitchers from the 60s, 70s, and 80s who suffered career altering or ending injuries...Bouton, McDowell, Nolan, and pretty much the whole As pitching staff from the early 80s...

54 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That'd be hard to qualify. There were plenty of pitchers from the 60s, 70s, and 80s who suffered career altering or ending injuries...Bouton, McDowell, Nolan, and pretty much the whole As pitching staff from the early 80s...

I guess my point was that I don't think how they baby pitchers today has helped lower injuries which is what I thought they were trying to do.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Billy Martin pitched those A's to death.

52 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess my point was that I don't think how they baby pitchers today has helped lower injuries which is what I thought they were trying to do.

Hang on a tad there.  We went from 4 man rotations to 5.  They started "babying" pitchers back in the '80's.

23 minutes ago, rico said:

Hang on a tad there.  We went from 4 man rotations to 5.  They started "babying" pitchers back in the '80's.

Maybe in amount of starts but the starters still went deep in the games and they did not worry about pitch counts.  Also remember in playoffs even in 7 game series the top pitcher usually pitched in 3 games if it went 7 games.  Usually teams went with 3 starters in the playoffs.  I know in 90 Rio pitched in game 1 and 4 and would have pitched in game 7 if it went that far.

What a pitchers duel tonight between the Rays and the Yankees. But unfortunately, Aroldis Chapman served up the game winning homer, just like he did last year against the Asstrohs and that midget! Heartbreak city here. At least the Yankees made the Rays earn the W, and didn't lay down after being down 2 games to 1. Cole did what he could and he is the ace of the staff.

Next year could be good for the Yanks as they should have a full pitching staff with Severino and German coming back.

In spite of having a lot of injuries early on the Yanks had a great year.

4 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

What a pitchers duel tonight between the Rays and the Yankees. But unfortunately, Aroldis Chapman served up the game winning homer, just like he did last year against the Asstrohs and that midget! Heartbreak city here. At least the Yankees made the Rays earn the W. Cole did what he could and he is the ace of the staff.

Next year could be good for the Yanks as they should have a full pitching staff with Severino and German coming back.

In spite of having a lot of injuries early on the Yanks had a great year.

Tough luck 2B...great series.

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe in amount of starts but the starters still went deep in the games and they did not worry about pitch counts.  Also remember in playoffs even in 7 game series the top pitcher usually pitched in 3 games if it went 7 games.  Usually teams went with 3 starters in the playoffs.  I know in 90 Rio pitched in game 1 and 4 and would have pitched in game 7 if it went that far.

Playoff baseball is playoff baseball.  That doesn't count.  The fact that teams went to a 5 man rotation tells you that teams were realizing the pitch count effect.  The pitchers needed another day of rest.

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Had not watched much baseball this year.  It just didn't feel 'right.  But I did watch the last 3 innings of the Rays / Yanks game last night, and it reminded me what a great game baseball is.

Helluva game and yes it is.

On 10/9/2020 at 4:02 PM, 5fouls said:

came over here figuring this had already been posted.  Whitey Ford died today.  Never saw him pitch, but I read a lot of baseball history in my youth and knew all about Whitey.

Dang, it's been a tough year.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30078282/hall-famer-whitey-ford-new-york-yankees-all-wins-leader-dies-age-91

Ummm... I did 

In response to all of the baseball legends passing away, I typed in one of the threads last week that it will really hit home when a member of the Big Red Machine passes away.  Never thought I would experience that less than a week later,

Damn 2020.  I hope we never see the likes of you again.

RIP Joe...best 2nd baseman I ever saw...

The Reds stole him from the Astros. Traded a 1st baseman they didn't need, a washed up 2nd baseman, and a guy named after an actor, for a HOFer, a good starting pitcher, a starting centerfielder, a starting 3rd baseman, and a guy who would spark a World Series controversy...

I also enjoyed Joe as a color guy with John Miller...

Renteria fired by White Sox. Interesting move that they want to fire a guy for not holding players accountable by bringing in a guy (Hinch) who was fired for cheating and not holding guys accountable. 

Hopefully Renteria can find a spot somewhere again. White Sox (much like the Cubs) know the window is open and they want to cash in with a vet manager who knows how to win a title.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Renteria fired by White Sox. Interesting move that they want to fire a guy for not holding players accountable by bringing in a guy (Hinch) who was fired for cheating and not holding guys accountable. 

Hopefully Renteria can find a spot somewhere again. White Sox (much like the Cubs) know the window is open and they want to cash in with a vet manager who knows how to win a title.

I thought I heard the dreaded "mutual agreement" but it didn't make sense to me. 2nd time Rich has gotten the short end of the stick from a Windy City baseball team...

And it sure didn't take long for Cora and Hinch to serve their sentences, did it?

Here's the trade I was talking about...

Joe Morgan was traded by the Houston Astros with Ed Armbrister, Jack Billingham, Cesar Geronimo and Denis Menke to the Cincinnati Reds for Tommy Helms, Lee May and Jimmy Stewart.

Only to be topped by getting George Foster from the Giants for for Frank Duffy and Vern Geishert.

Good God...

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I thought I heard the dreaded "mutual agreement" but it didn't make sense to me. 2nd time Rich has gotten the short end of the stick from a Windy City baseball team...

And it sure didn't take long for Cora and Hinch to serve their sentences, did it?

Mutual was what was released. Cora and Hinch are very good coaches....I imagine they and several will look at the Sox job. So much talent in that offense. Who wouldn't want to coach a team that will average 8. 

Archived