2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

NL Central Champs and early exit. Seems like a trend. 9 outs left for Cubs. I'm usually not a self defeatist type but this was brutal today. So many chances to score and nada and Darvish makes one mistake and ball game to this point. 

It has been a great game, we need some runs!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, rico said:

It has been a great game, we need some runs!

Fine by me! The low strike on KS when it was bases loaded and 2-0 count changed the entire at bat. Oh well. Broken record for 3 years. The numbers we've discussed on here and tv has shown today.....says one thing. This core isn't good. Numbers never lie eventually. 

29 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

NL Central Champs and early exit. Seems like a trend. 9 outs left for Cubs. I'm usually not a self defeatist type but this was brutal today. So many chances to score and nada and Darvish makes one mistake and ball game to this point. 

Sounds familar

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

Can’t stand Contreras. I remember a few years back when he said he was going to be better than Molina. 

Between him and Rizzo they both get hit a lot because they stick theor elbows out to ge thit.  They did to allow all the elbow pads because it allows the players to get hit without it hurting them.  Even last year I hated when of our own players did the same thing in Dietrich.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Contreas gets hit and thinks the Marlins pitcher was throwing at him.  Why would the pitcher try to hit yu in a 2-0 playoff game in the 8th inning.

Just FYI....this wasn't about him being hit or thrown at....something else was said. Of course a pitcher wouldn't being trying to hit someone. It was personal....not the play. I'll let you and Boiler figure out the obvious.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Just FYI....this wasn't about him being hit or thrown at....something else was said. Of course a pitcher wouldn't being trying to hit someone. It was personal....not the play. I'll let you and Boiler figure out the obvious.

I don't care what the reason is because he looked stupid getting upset in that situation.  I have not watched much of the game but turned it on in the 7th so something else could of happen earlier.  For most who has not watched the whle game it comes off as he was upset at getting hit the second time.  That was the same AB that Contreas was called for putting his elbow to get hit

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And we've got Eric Gregg Jr behind home plate

So far only one of those were not strikes.  Players just need to be more aggressive at the plate because you can't take a called 3rd strike.  I am use to it because the Reds players take more 3rd strikes than I have ever seen.  Go back to Tony Perez's philosophy see ball hit ball because to many players try to guess on what is coming and they take to many close pitches.

1 hour ago, rico said:

Or they have already been traded away...

So far I don't think many of the prospects we traded has turned out to be anything at the major league level.  I know people did not like trading Tramell for bauer but that turned ut to be a good trade. Tramell has already been traded again this year.

I am wondering that the Cubs and Reds both have an offensive problem.  They both are built in a similar fashion of walking and hitting homeruns and to me that is not a great way to build your offense.  Also with a lot of pull hitters and that the shift is implemented for every batter has that hurt their hitting.  I ssaw on the Reds boards tlaking about how hitters use to be told to keep your shoulder in and hit it back up the middle.  Now a hard hit ball up the middle is usually right at a defender.  Also a lot of hits that would be between the 1st and 2nd basemans ar eno longer hits.  

To me I would love for them to implement a rule to stop the shift because it is causing to many hits to be taken away.  It also leads to players and the launch anngel to try to hit a himerun on every swing.  In the NBA they limit a team from playing a true zone defense where a defender still can't just take up space in the lane.  I think for the MLB they need to say that you can have only two defenders on each side of 2nd base.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am wondering that the Cubs and Reds both have an offensive problem.  They both are built in a similar fashion of walking and hitting homeruns and to me that is not a great way to build your offense.  Also with a lot of pull hitters and that the shift is implemented for every batter has that hurt their hitting.  I ssaw on the Reds boards tlaking about how hitters use to be told to keep your shoulder in and hit it back up the middle.  Now a hard hit ball up the middle is usually right at a defender.  Also a lot of hits that would be between the 1st and 2nd basemans ar eno longer hits.  

To me I would love for them to implement a rule to stop the shift because it is causing to many hits to be taken away.  It also leads to players and the launch anngel to try to hit a himerun on every swing.  In the NBA they limit a team from playing a true zone defense where a defender still can't just take up space in the lane.  I think for the MLB they need to say that you can have only two defenders on each side of 2nd base.

I would say the Cubs are the Reds to a tee.

Archived