2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Lester has a no no going and Ross pays him a visit in the 5th. 76 pitches right now. Curious what will happen. He let Hendricks go a little deep on opening day. Even with the no hitter going I think any signs of trouble in 6th you grab the guy. Even though a shortened season is a sprint you have to manage all the arms. Especially the seasoned guys.

Took him out after 5 with a no hitter LOL!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Don't give up hope, Scott...You're into our bullpen, so anythings possible...Dan Winkler is pitching more like Henry Winkler...walked the first 2 he faced with a 7 run lead...for Christ sake let em hit the damned ball...just throw strikes!

Well Castellanos just struck out after being ahead 3-1 count but one of those strike calls was a little iffy.  Also baseball needs to do something about letting hitters just stand there and not trying to move and gets hot by the pitch.  All 2 of the Cubs who were HBP should have not been allowed to happen.  Can't say much because last year Dietrich did that all the time.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Ross already told him pregame he was on a count and Lester knew what the number was. In that ballpark.....Lester threw as well as he possibly could. 

A few of the Reds just missed hitting some homeruns but just got under them but that is what good pitchers do.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Ross already told him pregame he was on a count and Lester knew what the number was. In that ballpark.....Lester threw as well as he possibly could. 

He did, and I'm encouraged by that. A lot of first pitch strikes. 

Ahead in the count matters...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

He did, and I'm encouraged by that. A lot of first pitch strikes. 

Ahead in the count matters...

That's the thing with Lester. We know he's a gamer but his downside last couple of seasons has been that big inning where he goes 2-0 3-1 and boom.....floodgates open. Encouraged for sure but I'll still take a split in Cincy. I've set my baseline at 9-5 for first 14. Anything above that is gravy.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

A few of the Reds just missed hitting some homeruns but just got under them but that is what good pitchers do.

Yep. Especially there.....I've never been a launch angle guy but a few of those were close. Would love to know the degrees or angle degrees if moved just a bit.

8 hours ago, IUFLA said:

The Cubs are going to piss this one away...good Lord...8 walks by the stinking bullpen

Sure glad I went to sleep early. Judging by reaction and twitter comments that was an unreal finish. Yep on bullpen. I know Ross said Kimbrel has to knock off some rust but Lord. He was the same guy last year...and our pen appears to be the same as it has been for past 2 seasons.

Wins are wins for sure but playing with fire. 

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Sure glad I went to sleep early. Judging by reaction and twitter comments that was an unreal finish. Yep on bullpen. I know Ross said Kimbrel has to knock off some rust but Lord. He was the same guy last year...and our pen appears to be the same as it has been for past 2 seasons.

Wins are wins for sure but playing with fire. 

It seems like the bullpen can be your downfall this year and besides Kimbrell and Jeffers I had never heard any of the other guys who pitched in relief yesterday.  Right now the big difference between the Cubs and Reds is the lineup we are putting out.  The Cubs offense is a lot better right now than the Reds and both starting pitching is close and both bullpens are pretty bad.  At least last night the Reds bullpen did a good job but Miley was horrible so that kind of negates what the bullpen did.  Bullpen pitched 7.1 innings and only gave up two runs but when the starter gives up 6 in 1.2 innings it doesn't matter.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

It seems like the bullpen can be your downfall this year and besides Kimbrell and Jeffers I had never heard any of the other guys who pitched in relief yesterday.  Right now the big difference between the Cubs and Reds is the lineup we are putting out.  The Cubs offense is a lot better right now than the Reds and both starting pitching is close and both bullpens are pretty bad.  At least last night the Reds bullpen did a good job but Miley was horrible so that kind of negates what the bullpen did.  Bullpen pitched 7.1 innings and only gave up two runs but when the starter gives up 6 in 1.2 innings it doesn't matter.

It's early but I guess it isn't. Shoot...I don't even know half the guys in our bullpen right now!

Does any baseball team play the same lineup two days in a row.  Watching the Reds/cubs game and neither team is playing the same 9 as last night.  Not a good start to the game for the Reds with giving up a leadoff triple because the OF lost the ball in the sun.  Already 1-0 Cubs and they have guys on 1st/2nd in the top of the 2nd.  Looked at the Reds message board and there is already the call for Bell's head and I tend to agree that he is a terrible manager.

Damn the Reds because every time  I think they might be good they just disappoint.  I know it is only 5 games and they have some players out but this first week is an embarrassment.  I know Lester has been a very good pitcher but we could not even get a hit off of him in 5 innings.  Now we are making this Mills look like the next Greg Maddux.  The Reds hsould know that the Cubs bullpen is a weak spot but in 6 innings Mills has only thrown 75 pitches so they did not make him work at all.

50 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well maybe the Cubs manager just did us a favor and took Mills out after 6.

Took out Lester last night with a no no....tonight Mills. He's a catcher and understands the importance of taking it easy early on. With that said couldn't be happier with Cubs start and with respect to you and Reds fans on here....you have to be thinking these next two games are close to needing both. 

Archived