2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So tired of seeing Reds offense not come through with runner sin scoring position.  We have had a guy in scoring position and less tha n two outs  times and has not scored.  Goodwin had a 3-2 count with a guy on second and let a fast ball go right down the middle.  I get tired  watching guys taking a  3rd stike.  Hate to blame the umps but with the Reds up 2-1 and on a 1-2 count the pitch was a strike but the ump called it a ball and the hitter got a single on the next pitched and eventually scored the tieing run.

Reds lose 3-2 and go the last 8 innings not scoring.  You give up 3 runs on 5 hits you shpu;d win most games but the Reds have lost to many games like this one.  The end of the Brewers bullpen is just plain nasty with Williams and Hader and they pitched 3 hittles innings.  The reds had no shot in the 9th because they had 2 rookies and Senzel batting against hader

Stephenson- has less than 25 AB's in the majors

Senzel- young kid and has been injured most of his career.

Garcia- never played above A ball until this month.

Also brought in a rookie pitcher Antone to reieve for gray after 5 innings.  He had a good 6th inning but gave up 2 runs and the lead in the 7th.

You would think with how important these games are that he wouldn't rely on inexperience players so much.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Saw this morning the Reds odds of making playoffs is 79%. If I am a gambling man put big money on them missing. The organization that let me down the most in my lifetime.  Hope I am wrong. GO REDS

First off, the Reds need a win today.  But the interesting thing is the Cards play the Brewers 5 times to end the season.  

Reds beat the Brewers 6-1 and Bauer pitched great on 3 days rest. 8IP, 1 run, 4 hits, 12K's.  He should be the National League Cy Young winner and it would be the first Reds pitcher to win the award.  A great stat for him is batters is 3-70 with runners in scoring position. In th e6th innin the brewers had 1st and 3rd and no outs and bauer struck out the next 3 batters.

Reds need to sign Bauer after this season because they have the best roation on baseball with him.  In this series the Reds starters pitched 19.1 innings and gave up only 3 runs and striking out 29 and there top 3 Castillo, Gray and Bauer all started in this series.

Also in the 3 hame series the Reds scored 14 runs and all came from homeruns.  Going back to Sunday there 16 runs has scored on homeruns.  The reds has not scored on anything else since the 4th inning Sunday.

All the respect in the world for our baseball fans in this thread. The Cubs being up 3-4 games up right now means the Cardinals, Reds, Brewers have to absolutely suck. There isn't a justification. There isn't this guy is hurt or this guy was down.....the Cubs are brutal and to have a lead like we do? I'm laughing. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

All the respect in the world for our baseball fans in this thread. The Cubs being up 3-4 games up right now means the Cardinals, Reds, Brewers have to absolutely suck. There isn't a justification. There isn't this guy is hurt or this guy was down.....the Cubs are brutal and to have a lead like we do? I'm laughing. 

If the Reds make the playoffs I don't care how bad we are

And just one more comment on the Cubs. Maddon wasn't the problem. Never has been never will be.

Ross is playing the same 2-7 off suit that Joe had to deal with. Been saying it on here for at least 3 seasons. Absolute joke of a lineup in terms of performance. Look at the the averages, slugging percentages, ops......the players literally just aren't good. Cubs have a core of Baez, Bryant, Rizzo, Schwarber and Contreras that maybe might be worth a top pitching prospect and maybe, just maybe a left handed reliever. 

Feel like a Bears fan in 85. Wake up in 1989 and realize we only won one??

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Reds need to sign Bauer after this season because they have the best roation on baseball with him.  In this series the Reds starters pitched 19.1 innings and gave up only 3 runs and striking out 29 and there top 3 Castillo, Gray and Bauer all started in this series.

Also in the 3 hame series the Reds scored 14 runs and all came from homeruns.  Going back to Sunday there 16 runs has scored on homeruns.  The reds has not scored on anything else since the 4th inning Sunday.

Bauer has become my favorite player on this team. Dude is a bad man

If the season ended today ...

Best-of-three series, higher seed is home team

AMERICAN LEAGUE
No. 1 Rays* vs. No. 8 Blue Jays
No. 2 Athletics* vs. No. 7 Indians*
No. 3 Twins* vs. No. 6 Astros
No. 4 White Sox* vs. No. 5 Yankees*

NATIONAL LEAGUE
No. 1 Dodgers* vs. No. 8 Reds
No. 2 Braves* vs. No. 7 Giants
No. 3 Cubs* vs. No. 6 Marlins
No. 4 Padres* vs. No. 5 Cardinals

*Clinched playoff spot

Magic numbers to clinch playoff spot

NL: Marlins 3, Reds 4, Cardinals 6 (due to St. Louis having played fewer games).

AL: Blue Jays 1, Astros 2

9 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I think you are being to hard on the Cubs and the rest of the NL Central.  This isn't a 162 game season.  To put this season in context..it is like the 1st of June.  Not even to the All-Star break games played wise.

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If the season ended today ...

Best-of-three series, higher seed is home team

AMERICAN LEAGUE
No. 1 Rays* vs. No. 8 Blue Jays
No. 2 Athletics* vs. No. 7 Indians*
No. 3 Twins* vs. No. 6 Astros
No. 4 White Sox* vs. No. 5 Yankees*

NATIONAL LEAGUE
No. 1 Dodgers* vs. No. 8 Reds
No. 2 Braves* vs. No. 7 Giants
No. 3 Cubs* vs. No. 6 Marlins
No. 4 Padres* vs. No. 5 Cardinals

*Clinched playoff spot

Magic numbers to clinch playoff spot

NL: Marlins 3, Reds 4, Cardinals 6 (due to St. Louis having played fewer games).

AL: Blue Jays 1, Astros 2

I did see where the Cards may be required to play 2 make-up games on Monday against the Tigers.

16 minutes ago, rico said:

I think you are being to hard on the Cubs and the rest of the NL Central.  This isn't a 162 game season.  To put this season in context..it is like the 1st of June.  Not even to the All-Star break games played wise.

Maybe...maybe not. 

Baez .198

Rizzo .221

Schwarber .191

Bryant .195 

These averages are all based on roughly 200 AB's. Getting beat back to back by the Pirates during the heat of the playoff chase is just not acceptable. Our fire we had inside us in 15/16 has been transferred to a few other teams. 

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe...maybe not. 

Baez .198

Rizzo .221

Schwarber .191

Bryant .195 

These averages are all based on roughly 200 AB's. Getting beat back to back by the Pirates during the heat of the playoff chase is just not acceptable. Our fire we had inside us in 15/16 has been transferred to a few other teams. 

I will give you that the Cubs appear to be "backing" into the post season.  But that great start is what got them to where they are.

50 minutes ago, rico said:

I will give you that the Cubs appear to be "backing" into the post season.  But that great start is what got them to where they are.

As long as the Cubs win the division it's all a wash to me...They'd get home field for the 2 out of 3 opening round (and all 3 games would be at Wrigley...not much of a home field advantage without fans, but still no travel, sleep in your own bed, last AB)...

After that, if they win, it's in a neutral site bubble in Arlington through the World Series ...

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

As long as the Cubs win the division it's all a wash to me...They'd get home field for the 2 out of 3 opening round (and all 3 games would be at Wrigley...not much of a home field advantage without fans, but still no travel, sleep in your own bed, last AB)...

After that, if they win, it's in a neutral site bubble in Arlington through the World Series ...

If I'm Ross I'm telling Darvish and Hendricks get ready to be used. Those two would be the guys in 3 game set and depending on how things shake out they could be ready for games 2 and 3 and possibly game 5 in Division series.

12 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Besides the Dodgers, Braves and maybe the Padres there are no other teams in the NL that is very good.

Cubs even with the injuries and BP problems they are there.  No one close to Dodgers.  I agree that Reds have a very good staff, and they could carry the Reds to high places.

To go along with seeking's stats a look at HR's for Cubs:

Year           Avg/Game       Place in NL

2020              1.16                   9th

2019              1.6                     2d

2018              1.0                     11th

2017              1.4                     3d

2016              1.2                     5th

Archived