Tomorrow is the day...

rico

1 hour ago, rico said:

If there is an issue we have had with our "newborn son" thus far is that family and friends have been coming over all week-end to check out the new dog.  Seems to bother or make him uneasy.  I wish we would have got him on a Monday instead of a Friday afternoon.  Oh well.

The pup is fine now that activity has slowed down.  

My middle daughter is a professional dog trainer...one of the best in the Chicagoland area...makes a damn nice living off of it too...

She'd tell you that the 2nd most important thing (1st is, they can never for a moment think they're the "alpha" dog) you can do for your new dog is socialize it early and often, with people and other animals...if you don't, the tendency is for them to be overly protective of their home and people...

She'll also tell you the ratio of bad owners to bad dogs is about 100 to 1...and I believe it...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

My middle daughter is a professional dog trainer...one of the best in the Chicagoland area...makes a damn nice living off of it too...

She'd tell you that the 2nd most important thing (1st is, they can never for a moment think they're the "alpha" dog) you can do for your new dog is socialize it early and often, with people and other animals...if you don't, the tendency is for them to be overly protective of their home and people...

She'll also tell you the ratio of bad owners to bad dogs is about 100 to 1...and I believe it...

Our rescue was left chained up to a pole in the middle of December in Indy. Pit/terrier mix. Absolutely the most loyal and loving dog you can imagine. I bring that up because I can't imagine this dog ever doing something to warrant just chaining him up to a pole....which makes me believe your ratio all the more.

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Our rescue was left chained up to a pole in the middle of December in Indy. Pit/terrier mix. Absolutely the most loyal and loving dog you can imagine. I bring that up because I can't imagine this dog ever doing something to warrant just chaining him up to a pole....which makes me believe your ratio all the more.

My daughter tells people right up front that she's expensive, and there are no refunds...she tells her clients she has to be that way because she's only spending a limited amount of time with the dog, and she'll have it behaving...but THE OWNER is going to be around the dog 24/7/365 and it's incumbent that the owners do the things she shows them...

"If they don't, I can tell...and it's a waste of my time, their time, and the dog's time...but I still get paid."

I always laugh when she says that...

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

My daughter tells people right up front that she's expensive, and there are no refunds...she tells her clients she has to be that way because she's only spending a limited amount of time with the dog, and she'll have it behaving...but THE OWNER is going to be around the dog 24/7/365 and it's incumbent that the owners do the things she shows them...

"If they don't, I can tell...and it's a waste of my time, their time, and the dog's time...but I still get paid."

I always laugh when she says that...

There is a rental across the road from me out here in the middle of no where. It P..... me off that the various renters that have come through all seem to believe that just leaving food and water out for their dogs is all it takes. Letting them roam for miles and even killing neighborhood dogs and my adopted stray cat!  The absolute worst ones were the ones who didn't even do that much for their dogs, finally a neighbor essentially kidnapped their dogs and gave them to friends for them to take care of.  Bad dogs come from bad owners, all the respect in the world for your daughter!!!

15 hours ago, Drroogh said:

There is a rental across the road from me out here in the middle of no where. It P..... me off that the various renters that have come through all seem to believe that just leaving food and water out for their dogs is all it takes. Letting them roam for miles and even killing neighborhood dogs and my adopted stray cat!  The absolute worst ones were the ones who didn't even do that much for their dogs, finally a neighbor essentially kidnapped their dogs and gave them to friends for them to take care of.  Bad dogs come from bad owners, all the respect in the world for your daughter!!!

It's been her passion since she was a little girl...

We always told all 3 of our daughters to follow their dreams, but when the middle one told us she was going to train dogs for a living, I can't fib...I was a little skeptical...

Shows what I know...

So far so good with "Nub".  He does frustrate Mama a bit because she is a clean freak.  I have noticed that he really isn't comfortable spending a lot of time outside, other than doing his business.  It ain't the weather because it has been mild here.

38 minutes ago, rico said:

So far so good with "Nub".  He does frustrate Mama a bit because she is a clean freak.  I have noticed that he really isn't comfortable spending a lot of time outside, other than doing his business.  It ain't the weather because it has been mild here.

"Nub" always makes me think about the graphics guy on "Orange County Choppers."

1 hour ago, rico said:

I certainly am no DOG WHISPERER. However, first thought that came to my mind, after spending time in a box, and then getting rescued.... was separation anxiety.  I would keep an eye on Nub.  Could wear off over time. Once he truly settles in.  If not.... there is plenty on the web that talks about separation anxiety in dogs.    Just a thought.

11 minutes ago, Reacher said:

What if you are outside with him? Some dogs just prefer to be around people. My dog is not an outdoors dog. He likes being with people but If I'm sitting out on my patio, often he will just want to go inside and lay down. Granted, he is on old man dog.

We do go outside with him.  I just thought he would explore more.

43 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Give him time. There is a value in having a dog that is not going to run away and prefer to come right back in when you let him out.

Very true. Our dog is turning 7 in March, and we have had him since he was 8 weeks...we have a couple acres and he will do his business and sniff around a bit, but never has tried to run off...he generally stays right by us if we are around. He is very smart and honestly think he would scare himself if he ran off too far by himself ha. He comes right back to the door once he is done handling his business and gets offended if you make him wait more than a few seconds to let him back in.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Reacher said:

Still laughing at your comment. Only @rico would find a squeaky penis dog toy! Personally, that's not a behavior I'd want to encourage in my dog.

You guys never let me down.  Tammy sent the same pic to her sister in the ATL(the one that got Nub for us).  Her comment back to Tammy and I paraphrase..."The puppy looks great, and I can't believe you let him play with your toys."  The truth be known Rhonda(the sister) brought that bone with the dog from Atlanta.  

2 hours ago, rico said:

You guys never let me down.  Tammy sent the same pic to her sister in the ATL(the one that got Nub for us).  Her comment back to Tammy and I paraphrase..."The puppy looks great, and I can't believe you let him play with your toys."  The truth be known Rhonda(the sister) brought that bone with the dog from Atlanta.  

It was your toy? I thought it was a dog toy. My apologies.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived