B1G Teams in NCAA (early projection)

DWB

Probably way too early, but what the hell...

I'm not convinced we get 8-10 teams in the NCAA's. Anybody below .500 in the conference is not a candidate from where I sit. Too many good teams around the country with good resume's, to take 10 from the B1G.

Also, and maybe a bigger concern of mine, is how will the B1G actually do in the Tourney? Not only are we the deepest league in the country, but we're by far the most physical. And the refs are letting it get worse by the week. I watched the ILL-IA game and I've seen Rugby matches that were tamer.

So when we get to Tourney time, and they start calling a foul a foul (without blood), I think B1G teams could have a real problem with the physicality of the game. Those teams that can play intense BBall without fouling will go a long way IMO.

Interested to hear what you guys think.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, DWB said:

I'm not convinced we get 8-10 teams in the NCAA's. Anybody below .500 in the conference is not a candidate from where I sit. Too many good teams around the country with good resume's, to take 10 from the B1G.

Also, and maybe a bigger concern of mine, is how will the B1G actually do in the Tourney? Not only are we the deepest league in the country, but we're by far the most physical. And the refs are letting it get worse by the week. I watched the ILL-IA game and I've seen Rugby matches that were tamer.

So when we get to Tourney time, and they start calling a foul a foul (without blood), I think B1G teams could have a real problem with the physicality of the game. Those teams that can play intense BBall without fouling will go a long way IMO.

B10 got 8 in last year. OSU was 8-12.

The ACC is terrible. So is the PAC. B10 will get 10 in with multiple teams with losing conference records and with less than 20 total wins. 

1 hour ago, DWB said:

Actually most think the bubble this year is horrible and that is why teams like PU and Minnesota who was 11-10 still is in the projections right now.

I can't see the committee taking 11 or 12.  10 is more likely.  Here are the questionable teams:

Minnesota at 11-10 overall is in the worst position(of the 12 in the hunt). 9 games left(5@home).  I have a hard time seeing them winning 7/8 more to get in.  They do have one game with Northwestern and one with Nebraska though  NET 44.

PU at 12-10 overall also looks to be in a bad position.  9 games left(5 @ home).  6 wins probably gets them.    NET 39

Wisconsin at 13-9 has 9 games left(5 @home) with a game against Northwestern and Nebraska.  5 wins should get them.  NET 32

IU at 15-7 with 9 games(5@home).  4 wins should get us in but we will be sweating it out on Selection Sunday.  NET 52

Minny and PU would be my picks not to make it in.  Both dug deep holes that will be difficult to get out of.  I'd put us as the last Big 10 team in.  That NET rank of 52 does have me concerned though.  

The B1G tourney may find 3 or 4 teams needing wins.  Let's hope we aren't one of them.

Go Hoosiers!!!

4 hours ago, rico said:

As always, keep an eye on those "1 bid" leagues and potential "bid stealers."  

Yep there's always one or two that get on a roll and win their tournaments.  I think the extra available seeds this year will come from the ACC.  Last year they had 7 make it.  This year that number could be 3(although I'm sure the committee will try to put a couple more in even though they don't deserve it).  Duke, UofL and Florida St are the only locks.  Everyone else in the ACC is 58 or higher in the NET rankings.  I see the B1G(10 up from 😎 and Big East(6 up from 4) each taking a couple extra spots.

Go Hoosiers!!!

4 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Yep there's always one or two that get on a roll and win their tournaments.  I think the extra available seeds this year will come from the ACC.  Last year they had 7 make it.  This year that number could be 3(although I'm sure the committee will try to put a couple more in even though they don't deserve it).  Duke, UofL and Florida St are the only locks.  Everyone else in the ACC is 58 or higher in the NET rankings.  I see the B1G(10 up from 😎 and Big East(6 up from 4) each taking a couple extra spots.

Go Hoosiers!!!

What is funny about the ACC is that UNC and UVa still have a chance to get in...as sad as that sounds.  But yeah. 3 locks with NC State teetering.

7 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Go Hoosiers!!!

Exactly.....

B10 doesn't have to worry about bids being stolen in one bid leagues.....the ACC and the PAC suck.... 

1 minute ago, rico said:

Actually I thing the Zags conference is a 3 bid league...for sure 2.  Now SDSU is a different story.

St. Mary's is always on the bubble because most years their OOC schedule and who else from that conference would get in.  As for SDSU they might have two other from their conference with BYU and Utah St.  You also have to be afraid even with  multiple bid leagues where a team comes out of no where to win the tournament where other wise they wouldn't have made it.

18 minutes ago, rico said:

What is funny about the ACC is that UNC and UVa still have a chance to get in...as sad as that sounds.  But yeah. 3 locks with NC State teetering.

Yea living in the Carolina's I hear from the UNC fans all the time.  They all are convinced Cole Anthony's return will have them in the dance.  But with just 11 wins they'd literally have to win 7/8 of their last 10.  And with Duke, UofL and Florida st. as 4 of the ten it'll be a tough climb.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Just now, Indy1987 said:

Yea living in the Carolina's I hear from the UNC fans all the time.  They all are convinced Cole Anthony's return will have them in the dance.  But with just 11 wins they'd literally have to win 7/8 of their last 10.  And with Duke, UofL and Florida st. as 4 of the ten it'll be a tough climb.

Go Hoosiers!!!

and they blew a chance yesterday with Cole dropping 26.  

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

and they blew a chance yesterday with Cole dropping 26.  

Yep.  Crazy thing is UNC probably wins that game if he didn't play.  They had won 2 in a row and had a little momentum.  Then he came back and the team kinda stood around and watched him do his thing.

Go Hoosiers!!!

34 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

St. Mary's is always on the bubble because most years their OOC schedule and who else from that conference would get in.  As for SDSU they might have two other from their conference with BYU and Utah St.  You also have to be afraid even with  multiple bid leagues where a team comes out of no where to win the tournament where other wise they wouldn't have made it.

BYU is in Gonzaga's conference.

IMO 9 is the minimum and 10 is very likely. In fact, 11 is more likely than 9 according to T-Rank:

http://barttorvik.com/tourneycast.php?conlimit=B10&date=20200203&sort=1

One thing that could derail things is the personnel issues, i.e. Kobe King, DJ Carton, etc. And also Purdue and Minny are getting close to the line with just having too many losses.

13 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

IMO 9 is the minimum and 10 is very likely. In fact, 11 is more likely than 9 according to T-Rank:

http://barttorvik.com/tourneycast.php?conlimit=B10&date=20200203&sort=1

One thing that could derail things is the personnel issues, i.e. Kobe King, DJ Carton, etc. And also Purdue and Minny are getting close to the line with just having too many losses.

I'm with you.  I said it in the other thread but I think PU and Minny are the 2 left out.  The other 10 teams I think make it.  I'd say Wisconsin and IU are just above those two but in(as long neither collapses totally).  

Go Hoosiers!!!

Archived