2023 NFL Discussion

rico

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Agreed - none of us really know, but I also don't love pinning the future on a fourth round draft pick. I know guys drafted in that range can turn out, but most of them don't amount to anything more than a backup. I think introducing more competition into that situation would be a good thing. 

Probably so.. I do know there were multiple outlets that saw JE as a 1st round talent, but for some reason did not interview well, I love where the Colts are... just a tick uneasy about the QB situation. Rivers was the right move though. He was solid, exactly what we signed him to be. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I'm not saying the plan is bad at all, and I certainly wouldn't be upset with it.... just saying that what if they REALLY like JE progression? 

We don't know the answer to that question. We might know after the draft though. haha

Haha. Yep. We'll know exactly what Ballard thinks of JE on draft night. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Castonzo just made it official he's retiring. PS....some team in the late teens/early 20's are going to be very happy when Leatherwood falls to them. Not sure why the best interior lineman in college football is projected to go around pick 20.

That's a big loss. If you keep Rivers I am not in favor of moving Quinton Nelson to Tackle but if we get a more mobile QB, I say move Q and then get a guard in middle rounds.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Depends on who the new coach is. If Lincoln Riley then yes but I would think new coach would have the say in it.

I just don't see the Eagles as a contender in the NFC East in the next few years no matter who the coach is.  With that being said does Philly hang on to him?  I dunno.  Regardless, if the Colts have a chance to nab him then they should as long as it doesn't screw with the core of the team.

• Like 1

Several thoughts....

-Going back to what I said earlier in this thread,  Jones may turn out to be a good NFL quarterback, but if so he'd be the exception. I can't recall a Saban coached Alabama qb who turned out to be a good pro. Also, even though it happened several years ago, Jones was arrested for a DUI. Young kid, stupid mistake, I get it. But still not a decision or thought process that a franchise potential qb should be involved in.

-Costanzo will be a loss. However, thought Veldheer or whatever his name is, held up pretty well Saturday. The Colts have over %50 million in cap space this coming year...4th most of any team. Meanwhile, the Saints are $95 million over, the Eagles $51 million over. Both are gonna have to let go of some players, and both have good O-lines. May be someone there worth pursuing.

-I would take Stafford in a heartbeat, and definitely over Wentz. Whomever made the comment that Stafford hasn't won much....have you looked at the lack of talent, and coaching turnover in that organization? Stafford is one tough SOB, and has played, and played well through a myriad of injuries. What this season has shown me regarding Wentz is that he is all about himself, and really not the guy I would want leading the Colts.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Several thoughts....

-Going back to what I said earlier in this thread,  Jones may turn out to be a good NFL quarterback, but if so he'd be the exception. I can't recall a Saban coached Alabama qb who turned out to be a good pro. Also, even though it happened several years ago, Jones was arrested for a DUI. Young kid, stupid mistake, I get it. But still not a decision or thought process that a franchise potential qb should be involved in.

-Costanzo will be a loss. However, thought Veldheer or whatever his name is, held up pretty well Saturday. The Colts have over %50 million in cap space this coming year...4th most of any team. Meanwhile, the Saints are $95 million over, the Eagles $51 million over. Both are gonna have to let go of some players, and both have good O-lines. May be someone there worth pursuing.

-I would take Stafford in a heartbeat, and definitely over Wentz. Whomever made the comment that Stafford hasn't won much....have you looked at the lack of talent, and coaching turnover in that organization? Stafford is one tough SOB, and has played, and played well through a myriad of injuries. What this season has shown me regarding Wentz is that he is all about himself, and really not the guy I would want leading the Colts.

Veldheer will be playing for the Packers this weekend. I believe the 1st player ever to play for 2 playoff teams in the same playoffs.

35 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Several thoughts....

I don't know that it's fair to say Jones would be the exception - Bama hasn't had big time QBs until Tua and now Jones. It's too early to tell on Tua.

There isn't really any history of first round QBs from under Saban not turning out. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Several thoughts....

Nick Saban doesn't coach QBs though. It isn't until REALLY recently that Bama's offenses have been ungodly good. This isn't their teams from early in Saban days. There really isn't a precedent for these Bama QBs until Tua, and now Mac. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't know that it's fair to say Jones would be the exception - Bama hasn't had big time QBs until Tua and now Jones. It's too early to tell on Tua.

There isn't really any history of first round QBs from under Saban not turning out. 

I should have just quoted you. This. Now GMs just have to figure out if those QBs were so good because of the talent around them, or was it a combination. 

Sarkisian is also absolutely fantastic as a play caller. As was Kiffin. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I should have just quoted you. This. Now GMs just have to figure out if those QBs were so good because of the talent around them, or was it a combination. 

Sarkisian is also absolutely fantastic as a play caller. As was Kiffin. 

It will be interesting to see what Bill O Brien does after replacing Sarkisian

• rico changed the title to 2023 NFL Discussion