Braden Smith Commits to Purdue

48 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

"Braden, we officially offer you a scholarship to play basketball at Indiana Univ - - "

"I accept."

Instead of "Oh, thanks, I'll tweet this out along with my final 20 schools."

And fans will lose their minds if he is offered but doesn't accept on the spot as they have for a few other recruits.

• Like 1

Sorry to be that guy but we have some much higher PG prospects on our list. I think the offer might come a little later if at all. Given the quality pg in 23 as well id be surprised we take 2.  Not saying he won’t end up being a Hoosier but I think Archie will exhaust those other options first.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, DC2345 said:

I’m not surprised they haven’t offered yet. They waited until during the junior year to offer for Phinisee, Leal, and Galloway. I’d expect one to come in the next few months.

Thank you. Everyone knows the kid is a hard IU lean....but I like our approach. No reason to not set the tone early on with who is in charge. My guess is that when he's offered he might say yes faster than Hulls or Hartman...but he'll say yes quickly.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think we have several higher rated guards ahead of him. Not sure he will get the offer unless we feel we can’t land one. Honestly i think some of the other guys might be sitting back waiting to see how Lander works out (Highly rated pg) before committing. I like Smith I just am not sure he will get an offer before someone else commits.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is one kid that I really really hope shows marked improvement this season. Like his toughness. IU is a dream school for him. I'm sure CAM has told him that we will be in contact with him and watching. Gives us plenty of time to get in on some really good PG'S and see what we can hook. Especially if Lander has an excellent FR season. If not, a player like Smith could fit right in.

Edited by Moyeneeded

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know about the fans situation for IHSAA basketball? Was planning to try and watch Braden as much as I could this season, but COVID...

I found this on ihsaa.org, but wasn't able to find anything specific to Westfield HS. Thought I'd see if anyone on HSN knew more.

Spectator Seating (Updated 10/19/20) Q. Will spectators be allowed to attend sporting events? (Spectators should always observe social distancing and mask/face covering requirements) A. Yes, but it will be at the discretion of the host school with guidance from local health officials and in accordance with the governor’s stage 5. Organizers of events with more than 500 people in attendance will be required to submit a plan to the local health department that outlines measures to mitigate COVID-19.

10 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Anyone know about the fans situation for IHSAA basketball? Was planning to try and watch Braden as much as I could this season, but COVID...

I found this on ihsaa.org, but wasn't able to find anything specific to Westfield HS. Thought I'd see if anyone on HSN knew more.

Spectator Seating (Updated 10/19/20) Q. Will spectators be allowed to attend sporting events? (Spectators should always observe social distancing and mask/face covering requirements) A. Yes, but it will be at the discretion of the host school with guidance from local health officials and in accordance with the governor’s stage 5. Organizers of events with more than 500 people in attendance will be required to submit a plan to the local health department that outlines measures to mitigate COVID-19.

Down here in Evansville it’s 2 fans per student athlete is all that will be allowed. 

• Thanks 1

If Archie deems him worthy, I have no problem with him getting a scholly even if we have two other top point guards.  With 13 schollies, there is a spot or two free for the the tough, team oriented, run-through-a-brick-wall kid.  

I like Archie’s emphasis on multiple point guards.  Playing them together can work and be a challenge to the other teams.  Having a third in Smith might seem odd, but like I said, with 13 schollies, I think it can be done.  I think he’d be great for the culture unless I’m reading the kid totally wrong.  

3 hours ago, cybergates said:

It's going to be all over the place.  Rochester (IN) high school has already announced no fans.  South Bend Community Schools guidelines for winter sports set a max attendance of 300.  No spectators for swim meets. Wrestling tickets presold, 2 per wrestler to participating schools.  Pep bands and cheerleaders perform at home basketball games only.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

We’ve always talked about 13 schollies and how that’s a lot. 

My sense is we have got room for Braden when we have that many schollies.  I am fine with it if we have three point guards.   

Some guys bring value in terms of chemistry, being hard nosed, culture, etc.  

My point is we are perfectly fine finding this kid a spot if our staff likes him which they apparently do.  Somebody had the quote that Archie didn’t care how tall he is.  This is the type of kid where we will regret it if we don’t take him.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

We’ve always talked about 13 schollies and how that’s a lot. 

My sense is we have got room for Braden when we have that many schollies.  I am fine with it if we have three point guards.   

Some guys bring value in terms of chemistry, being hard nosed, culture, etc.  

My point is we are perfectly fine finding this kid a spot if our staff likes him which they apparently do.  Somebody had the quote that Archie didn’t care how tall he is.  This is the type of kid where we will regret it if we don’t take him.  

Instead of leaving 2 unused scholarships every year it wouldn't hurt to use 1 of those on a development player like this. If the player is ok being a development player and knows he won't see much playing time for a few years.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

Instead of leaving 2 unused scholarships every year it wouldn't hurt to use 1 of those on a development player like this. If the player is ok being a development player and knows he won't see much playing time for a few years.

I’d prefer a developmental big like Race then a undersized guard honestly. I might be wrong and have been many times but this kid doesn’t check any of the measurable boxes that Archie seems to value most. Maybe if we keep missing out on kids he will be the fall back but I don’t think this kid is a priority target based on what we’ve seen from Archie. The kid is more Archie the ball player....and Archie doesn’t seem to go after kids that remind him of himself.

Edited by dgambill

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

I’d prefer a developmental big like Race then a undersized guard honestly. I might be wrong and have been many times but this kid doesn’t check any of the measurable boxes that Archie seems to value most. Maybe if we keep missing out on kids he will be the fall back but I don’t think this kid is a priority target based on what we’ve seen from Archie. The kid is more Archie the ball player....and Archie doesn’t seem to go after kids that remind him of himself.

I wouldn't call Race a developmental recruit since he was a top 80 recruit.

Edited by IU Scott

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I wouldn't call Race a developmental recruit since he was a top 80 recruit.

Bigs take much longer to develop then a guard typically. Unless you have a top 25 or so big man it’s going to take multiple seasons for them to come along typically. That or they are 7’4. Race was more a project because he was young and raw....and he had come along nicely....but he has been in the program for over 3 years...and he is just now really a contributor.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Bigs take much longer to develop then a guard typically. Unless you have a top 25 or so big man it’s going to take multiple seasons for them to come along typically. That or they are 7’4. Race was more a project because he was young and raw....and he had come along nicely....but he has been in the program for over 3 years...and he is just now really a contributor.

When I think of developmental player I think if some of guys Crean brought in (Jurkin)