Working from Home.

Drroogh

I have to feel one of the fortunate really, that I can do pretty much all of my work from home via Computer, Internet and Phone. In spite of the fact that I'm way overloaded with the projects I've got going!  Helps keep me busy, instead of leaving myself to my own thoughts.

My thoughts do go out to all who are finding themselves in tough times not really being able to work or worse! Even though I'm personally still very busy, there are huge concerns about the future of our business, not that we can not financially survive but what will business be like? How many will return to work when the plant starts back up, how many will be allowed to come back? The future is very uncertain!

How is everyone else managing?

It seems to me the world will be a very different place as we come out of this. I know in conference calls it has already become a huge concern, in that many of our new models in the pipe line were going to touch control. Now it seems everything is going to be against touch control! I said there will be an APP for that!

Stay safe HSN!

25 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I have to feel one of the fortunate really, that I can do pretty much all of my work from home via Computer, Internet and Phone. In spite of the fact that I'm way overloaded with the projects I've got going!  Helps keep me busy, instead of leaving myself to my own thoughts.

My thoughts do go out to all who are finding themselves in tough times not really being able to work or worse! Even though I'm personally still very busy, there are huge concerns about the future of our business, not that we can not financially survive but what will business be like? How many will return to work when the plant starts back up, how many will be allowed to come back? The future is very uncertain!

How is everyone else managing?

It seems to me the world will be a very different place as we come out of this. I know in conference calls it has already become a huge concern, in that many of our new models in the pipe line were going to touch control. Now it seems everything is going to be against touch control! I said there will be an APP for that!

Stay safe HSN!

I've worked from home for 15 years so this part isn't that big of a deal to me. When you work from home though you seek out social connections,etc....during evenings and on weekends with people because you of isolation for work. That's the toughest part is when 6-7pm rolls around and instead of heading out for dinner or a beer/watch a game,etc....it's staying in again. Small potatoes though to me. What's a few months in the grand scheme of things. 

18 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I've worked from home for 15 years so this part isn't that big of a deal to me. When you work from home though you seek out social connections,etc....during evenings and on weekends with people because you of isolation for work. That's the toughest part is when 6-7pm rolls around and instead of heading out for dinner or a beer/watch a game,etc....it's staying in again. Small potatoes though to me. What's a few months in the grand scheme of things. 

I'm the exact opposite.  I deal with high schoolers all day, so by the time 4 pm rolls around, I'm like, everyone get the hell away.  I'm going to go sit on my couch.

Working at home as a teacher has been a pain in the butt, but I think in the long run a lot of teachers will improve as there are a lot of new resources that we're learning about.

I feel like schools will be one of the last things allowed to start back, so I'm trying to get as many online resources together now as I can in case I need them in the fall.

I'm working from home during this and do not like it. 

It's weird because everyone on my team is already in a different city, so I do not actually interact with anyone in the office anyway.  It's just not getting out of the house that is starting to wear me down.  I'm one of those weirdos that actually likes my commute.  20-25 minutes in the car in the morning.  30-35 minutes in the afternoon.  It's just a nice time to have the radio on and organize my thoughts. Plus, I frequently travel to Chicago for work, which I enjoy, and have not been able to do that since February.  

And, to top it off, my kid's school activities literally kept me busy every night.  So, now, with all of those cancelled, I don't have that either.  It's been a big adjustment. 

Well, I guess my time of working from home is coming to an end. The Governor of Georgia just announced that starting Friday the State is going to start reopening. Including sit in resteraunt s and theaters on Monday! Pretty sure that means our plant will reopen on Tuesday. Will be good to see everyone again, I just pray it doesn't go all wrong!

11 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Well, I guess my time of working from home is coming to an end. The Governor of Georgia just announced that starting Friday the State is going to start reopening. Including sit in resteraunt s and theaters on Monday! Pretty sure that means our plant will reopen on Tuesday. Will be good to see everyone again, I just pray it doesn't go all wrong!

Good luck. Just heard Georgia, Tennessee, and I believe Texas are opening up. The world will be watching! Haha.

26 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

And, to top it off, my kid's school activities literally kept me busy every night.  So, now, with all of those cancelled, I don't have that either.  It's been a big adjustment. 

I have a neighbor across the street.And a few doors down. Who was a varsity player for the University of Kentucky ( excuse me while I take a drink of water).  Actually a very nice guy.  For years, he and his son would hoop in their drive way. Last week, he bought a new hoop, which he placed in the street.  Reminded me of my days growing up in Gary, Indiana. Anywho.  Every day, there is a group of about six kids that come out every day to hoop.  They are out there for hours. And I've got to say that his son, not only has grown, but has turned into a pretty dang good street hoopster.  Just saw a move. Driving to the bucket.  And made a sweet pass back to another kid, who hit it.  

My form of entertainment.  Brings back memories. And love to see the kids outside working on their game.

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Good luck. Just heard Georgia, Tennessee, and I believe Texas are opening up. The world will be watching! Haha.

Thanks, and I'm in that 65 and older category! I have a feeling this is unfortunately going to take a toll in many ways. I'm just glad for the people who work on the lines being able to get back to work, as they probably are on life support financially because they really are not paid well!!

34 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep, opening back up, but not all the way...

I saw a guy I know the other day who does a lot of tractor/groundwork pre-construction stuff. I asked him if this stay at home order had affected his work...he said, "nope. They have their idea of essential, and I have mine. And food on the table for 3 younguns is mine."

Me, I've been working at home for a month, and I despise it...

I've had 2 different jobs where I worked from home. First was a regional sales mgr for a large corp. I did travel a lot, but all of the "office hours" were from home. It DOES take some getting used to. My biggest problem was that I never had regular hours. I was taking calls at 9 pm, and 7:30 am.

2nd job was a financial advisor. Had an formal office in a nice area of town, and then it got sold to a law firm, who kicked us all out by raising rents so high nobody could afford it. I happened to be building a new house at the time, and had the construction guys, build me a suite of offices upstairs. That became "dedicated" office space and saw clients there for 4-5 years until we moved to SC. That scenario worked much better because I could close the door to the office, go downstairs to the living qtrs and enjoy regular life.

Once you get your "time management" in hand, it can be really productive working from home. (but also some of the set backs listed above by others, ie socialization)

Archived