Coffee

IUFLA

Do you drink it?

How do you prepare it?

Keurig (me...I know...lazy and/or impatient)?

Traditional coffee maker?

French Press?

Favorite kind (kinda the impetus for the thread, as I like trying new flavors)? Peet's Cafe Domingo is my go to...

Need it to start functioning coherently in the morning...anybody else?

We have a machine that does regular pot or Keurig pods on other side...we program a pot every morning. I always drink one large mug each morning. Black...always black. We try different kinds...including various starbucks flavors, dunkin coffee, etc. For the Keurig pods I prefer a kind called "Jamaica me Crazy".

I have went through the maturation process of coffee drinking as well as brewing.  

Started with lots of caramel or chocolate syrup, now if it's good coffee just a small splash of milk.  

As far as brewing,  started with a drip.  Then my wife bought a keurig(just collects dust now and gives acid reflux on just about any kind, yes we clean and sanitize it after periods of non use). 

We have also tried an espresso machine till going with the percolator.  The percolator gives you full flavor and freaking hot coffee without the work of boiling like a French press which won't keep you hot either.  The con of the espresso machine was the single cup and small servings.   

Cafe Sanchez or cafe don Julio out of Costa Rica is the world's best but I have since run out after stuffing my suitcase with about 40 lbs.  We don't have a trade deal with them so it will cost you about 16-17 a lb.  So I have really been enjoying aldis German roast stuff.   5 bucks a lb.  

1 hour ago, rico said:

Pall Mall filtered ultra-lights here...

Back when I use to smoke, initially it was Salem Lights, but one year at my USAF flight physical (controllers had to go through the same physical process as pilots...from like 7 am to about 2 pm...they checked everything) the flight surgeon told me if I was gonna smoke, I should at least smoke non-menthols. I switched to Marlboro Ultra-Lights that day...

Smoked 34 years. Quit on my 50th birthday...

Best present I ever gave myself...

We have a grinder for beans and a french press. Normally just grind and brew one pot each morning before work. Oh and black coffee only, no sugar or milk. We normally use Stumptown beans, because most places arund here carry them. I like that if you buy a bag of beans you get a free cup of coffee.

I don’t drink coffee — I consume it. 😂

French press, freshly ground beans on mornings when I have time - now every day. Dark roasts, no light beans. 

a little half and half — dear God no flavored cream or coffee. Coffee isn’t candy. 

French press, IMO, by far makes the best tasting coffee, drip is mediocre, Kuerig ain’t bad but can’t match press. 

And hit my neighborhood coffee shop (“Bean Here”) regularly 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I don’t drink coffee — I consume it. 😂

French press, freshly ground beans on mornings when I have time - now every day. Dark roasts, no light beans. 

a little half and half — dear God no flavored cream or coffee. Coffee isn’t candy. 

French press, IMO, by far makes the best tasting coffee, drip is mediocre, Kuerig ain’t bad but can’t match press. 

And hit my neighborhood coffee shop (“Bean Here”) regularly 

If you like French press, see my post above.   Percolator takes all the work out for you and keeps it piping hot.  I would say the full flavor is comparable.   I like the convenience and speed.  Prep the night before and plug it in as soon as I take my morning piss.  No thinking, no warming water, still have to wait for it to brew but that's with any of them.  

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

A friend at work got ahold of some of that Cat Crap coffee (Kopi luwak), supposedly the best in the world. (ask Jack Nicholson in "the Bucket List")

Yeah it was smooth, but I didn't get the excitement or cost about it!

Love that reference 

Some good advice from Jack , never trust a fart and never waste a .... you can figure it out

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Do you drink it?

How do you prepare it?

Keurig (me...I know...lazy and/or impatient)?

Traditional coffee maker?

French Press?

Favorite kind (kinda the impetus for the thread, as I like trying new flavors)? Peet's Cafe Domingo is my go to...

Need it to start functioning coherently in the morning...anybody else?

Two pots of coffee each morning. Just regular but mine is the type where a fork can stand up in it....and I make a pot for others in the house. Haha.

Grind and brew a pot every morning. Strictly black. Mostly some version of Starbucks beans. These days, take whatever is available.

Also have a Keurig that is used for an afternoon pick me up if needed. Use it for tea as well.

I’ve had fresh beans when we went to Costa Rica for daughter’s wedding. The coffee plantations were beautiful. However, best coffee I have ever had was Turkish coffee in Israel. Finished the small cup, any more and I would have been bouncing all over the kibbutz. Definitely see where the term “mud” in correlation to coffee comes from. The bottom of the cup was pure sludge 😎

30 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Grind and brew a pot every morning. Strictly black. Mostly some version of Starbucks beans. These days, take whatever is available.

Also have a Keurig that is used for an afternoon pick me up if needed. Use it for tea as well.

I’ve had fresh beans when we went to Costa Rica for daughter’s wedding. The coffee plantations were beautiful. However, best coffee I have ever had was Turkish coffee in Israel. Finished the small cup, any more and I would have been bouncing all over the kibbutz. Definitely see where the term “mud” in correlation to coffee comes from. The bottom of the cup was pure sludge 😎

Speaking of strong coffees, the only sweet coffee I like is Vietnamese coffee — sweet but packs a punch 

I never have drank an ounce of coffee. My Mom and Stepfather drank coffee constantly and chain smoked. It's a wonder I didn't get cancer from all the second hand smoke. I do however make sure my good looking, 41 year old ( I am 66), hard working wife of mine has coffee waiting for her when she wakes up. I either make it or go to Bigby and get her an iced coffee with sugar free vanilla. 

On another note I tried smoking when I was in first grade. My Mom caught me and made me eat some cigarettes. I have never touched a cigarette since then. 

Archived