Jump to content

Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!


KDB

2020-21 Starting Lineup Discussion

Recommended Posts

I think everyone is sleeping on Armaan Franklin. The kid showed flashes as a freshman and is a prototypical 2/wing in college. If he can develop some consistency with his shooting, he could be a real weapon. He plays hard, isn't afraid to push the ball in transition, can attack the basket, is athletic, etc. He just need confidence, experience and to gain consistency with his shot. 

I could see a scenario where he's one of the surprise players next year and even works his way into the starting lineup. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think everyone is sleeping on Armaan Franklin. The kid showed flashes as a freshman and is a prototypical 2/wing in college. If he can develop some consistency with his shooting, he could be a real weapon. He plays hard, isn't afraid to push the ball in transition, can attack the basket, is athletic, etc. He just need confidence, experience and to gain consistency with his shot. 

I could see a scenario where he's one of the surprise players next year and even works his way into the starting lineup. 

Agreed. Armaan has one thing that stands out on this team at the guard position - he has the physical tools to be good on both ends.   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Agreed. Armaan has one thing that stands out on this team at the guard position - he has the physical tools to be good on both ends.   

Well said!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

with the news that Smith is leaving I would think this will be the starting lineup

RP

Lander

Al

Race

TJD

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was not counting on Lander starting right away but the loss of Smith means they need another play maker on the floor immediately. Lander likely has the best skill set to create opportunities for others and has the ability to get his own shot. He can make others better.

We know TJD can score when he gets the ball in the right spot. We have seen instances where Al, Rob, and Armaan have been able to get their own shot but none of them consistently. Everyone else appears to need someone getting them the ball in the right place at the right time. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think RP is a good shooter when he can just step into his shot so having him one the wing with the ball in Landers hand would be good for RP.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

with the news that Smith is leaving I would think this will be the starting lineup

RP

Lander

Al

Race

TJD

That’s a pretty good bet, or

RP

Lander

Al

Hunter 

TJD

or

RP

Lander

Hunter or Race or Brunk

Tjd 

etc 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Lander

Franklin

Hunter

TJD

Race

By mid year

There is a lot to like about that lineup. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

There is a lot to like about that lineup. 

Except that it is very young...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Except that it is very young...

Agree. Would be good to get Phinisee in there for experience. I’m just really intrigued by what developed Franklin could be. Not sure if happens this year or not, but I think he has a lot of potential. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could see a starting lineup (starting the season) of:

Phinisee

Durham

Hunter/Franklin

TJD

Brunk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now this changes things lol.  What I would like to see as the starting lineup:

Rob

Al

Hunter

Race

TJD

What I expect:

Rob

Lander

Al

TJD

Brunk

 

The one thing I like about Al at the 3 is I think that helps him defensively, might not be guarding as quick of a guy. The reason I don’t have Lander in my personal starting lineup is while he’s very good, I don’t like to put a high school senior to be as a starter. I’m trying to be careful with my expectations on him for that reason. Can’t go wrong with either, but I can’t wait to see what Race and Hunter look like this coming season. Hunter has all the skills to be a starter, but also want to be careful with him since he missed a full year of basketball. 
 

I just like TJD and Race starting together because of the energy on both ends that they seem to bring together. Brunk brings energy too, but I felt Race and TJD elevated everyone when they played together. I haven’t even mentioned Armaan, who will be a very good bench player this year at the guard spot. I really like our 8 man rotation there, and let the Freshman develop without being counted on (besides Lander). 

Edited by JaybobHoosier
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, BGleas said:

There is a lot to like about that lineup. 

What I like is Lander play making and Armaans defense....but if Lander is going to play big minutes his defense will have to really jump. Physically he needs to get stronger but no doubt his playmaking should be a huge plus.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ephul said:

I could see a starting lineup (starting the season) of:

Phinisee

Durham

Hunter/Franklin

TJD

Brunk

hard to imagine a 5 star recruit coming to IU and not starting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i want to see Lander, RP, and TJD for sure.  i'm mixed on whether i want Brunk or Thompson.  i feel like a lot of this board overrates Race a little because they want it to be so badly.  he did look solid late in the season though.  i am a bigger fan of Brunk than most on here and want to lean that way, but it's tough having him and TJD with such limited range.  on the other hand, they interior pass to each other well.  i think i am talking myself into Brunk as the 4th starter.  then do you want Al or Hunter?  again, i think most on here overrate Hunter, but he started showing signs.  i like the idea of him over Al due to how small it would be with Al, RP, and Lander trying to match up, but i have to think Al to start.  i guess i'm saying:

Lander

RP

Durham

TJD

Brunk 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

hard to imagine a 5 star recruit coming to IU and not starting.

I don't see him starting. I think he logs plenty of minutes, but doesn't start. I don't think he'll be ready physically to handle the BIG by the start of the season. 

 

I'm very anxious to see if he puts in the work to bulk up a bit throughout the off-season. Its tough to put on weight while you're enduring a physically demanding schedule.  It takes a ton of dedication.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ephul said:

I don't see him starting. I think he logs plenty of minutes, but doesn't start. I don't think he'll be ready physically to handle the BIG by the start of the season. 

 

I'm very anxious to see if he puts in the work to bulk up a bit throughout the off-season. Its tough to put on weight while you're enduring a physically demanding schedule.  It takes a ton of dedication.

that is true, but honest question... have we ever had a 5 star recruit that hasn't started?  i'm thinking Duke and KY are the only places that ever happens?  maybe UNC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

that is true, but honest question... have we ever had a 5 star recruit that hasn't started?  i'm thinking Duke and KY are the only places that ever happens?  maybe UNC?

Pat Graham and Greg graham were McDonald's All Americans and didn't start their freshman year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Pat Graham and Greg graham were McDonald's All Americans and didn't start their freshman year.

not 5 stars were they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Pat Graham and Greg graham were McDonald's All Americans and didn't start their freshman year.

that is pretty impressive though.  they were both McD's and neither started?  man, i can't remember details like that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...