The NCAA cracks down on....

23 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Do you think that is because it’s such a big city it’s kids want to be on a national stage (ie Duke, UNC, Kansas, UK) or is it the corruption issues where they want to get paid? If they have a hand out and Illinois isnt landing Them then that should suggest they aren’t cheating. Or maybe it’s just a style of ball that those kids want to showcase their game and it doesn’t mesh. It is confusing...I suppose Chicago is like its own separate world...it isn’t like the rest of the state at all...so kids from there don’t identify with being from Illinois...they are from Chicago...where as even our Indy kids identify with Indiana.

I really can't answer that question as to why.  

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Do you think that is because it’s such a big city it’s kids want to be on a national stage (ie Duke, UNC, Kansas, UK) or is it the corruption issues where they want to get paid? If they have a hand out and Illinois isnt landing Them then that should suggest they aren’t cheating. Or maybe it’s just a style of ball that those kids want to showcase their game and it doesn’t mesh. It is confusing...I suppose Chicago is like its own separate world...it isn’t like the rest of the state at all...so kids from there don’t identify with being from Illinois...they are from Chicago...where as even our Indy kids identify with Indiana.

Talent has been down in the Chicago area recently, far fewer high major level guys available compared to typical years. Lots of people moving out of state - Kahlil Whitney, Malik Hall, Nimari Burnett just a few recent examples. Illinois has managed to get Dosunmu and this year's Mr Basketball Adam Miller. Probably would have got Horton-Tucker but he wasn't coming on board with Ayo there. Supposedly it's on the upswing again soon, we'll see. I do agree there's not a ton of loyalty to the state school though, Chicago's just too big and diverse.

What's hurt Illinois more recently is not getting the downstate guys that used to be much more likely to pick UI - EJ Liddell, Okoro, Bates-Diop, Tilmon, Goodwin, etc. But this staff is doing a much better job getting good talent elsewhere.

7 hours ago, dgambill said:

Plenty of issues for Illinois but city kids still look for extra and they want the bigger stage. Been going on since the last few years of Bubbles and continued with Groce as well as initially with Underwood. People in Chicago think of the University of Illinois and surrounding area as small time, small town thinking.....and very little if any loyalty to the state or school. I mean the local radio coverage is barely anything. Doesn't move the ratings radar even a blurp.

Some of that is in part to to 10+ years of being a crap product....and the other part is players (and those around them do want a bigger stage). To answer your question about hand outs. Illinois tried with several....others just exceeded what Illinois was doing.

Time will tell if Underwood has turned the corner. He'll need 2-3 classes of getting the best out of the city (multiple prospects) before some will change their mind. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2020 at 3:54 PM, Seeking6 said:

Plenty of issues for Illinois but city kids still look for extra and they want the bigger stage. Been going on since the last few years of Bubbles and continued with Groce as well as initially with Underwood. People in Chicago think of the University of Illinois and surrounding area as small time, small town thinking.....and very little if any loyalty to the state or school. I mean the local radio coverage is barely anything. Doesn't move the ratings radar even a blurp.

Some of that is in part to to 10+ years of being a crap product....and the other part is players (and those around them do want a bigger stage). To answer your question about hand outs. Illinois tried with several....others just exceeded what Illinois was doing.

Time will tell if Underwood has turned the corner. He'll need 2-3 classes of getting the best out of the city (multiple prospects) before some will change their mind. 

U of I is the Purdue of Illinois...😆

36 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Hmm.  Guess who was the HC of OSU. When Lamont Evans was there.

Oklahoma State men's basketball receives postseason ban - Los Angeles Times

Illinois Basketball: Timeline of Lamont Evans and Brad Underwood

Stephen F. Austin.  And OSU.   Same coach.  Seems to be a pattern here.  What's next ? 

And just a reminder...he was also Director of Ops at KState when Huggins/Beasley thing happened. I think we discussed in another thread but plenty of smoke from Undy.

42 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Hmm.  Guess who was the HC of OSU. When Lamont Evans was there.

Oklahoma State men's basketball receives postseason ban - Los Angeles Times

Illinois Basketball: Timeline of Lamont Evans and Brad Underwood

Stephen F. Austin.  And OSU.   Same coach.  Seems to be a pattern here.  What's next ? 

Watch for Bruce to come over here to set you straight

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Saw where Oklahoma State is banned from 20-21 post season.  I think they have the top ranked recruit on this year's class so he probably is not pleased with the ban.

I did see though that he had one of those huge select team offers from the g-league that he turned down to go there. He might change his mind now. 

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Watch for Bruce to come over here to set you straight

Not much to really set anyone straight on. Clouds and puffs of smoke at every stop he goes. Given that the NCAA rarely penalizes anyone it's actually really impressed he's gone 2 for his last 2 and again....D of Ops at KState when that all went down. Nothing much will come of it but again....Orlando Antigua is on Underwood's staff. We all know enough of him and his Calipari days to see the picture. Oh well. 

I'll be more impressed in NCAA actually comes down on more name programs. If Kansas, Louisville,etc....get what they deserve I'll actually take notice. Until that day just smoke.

7 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Great job, NCAA, banning a team from the post season that probably wouldn’t have made it anyway. More truly stellar work on your part. 

I won’t hold my breath waiting to see a similar fate for LSU, Arizona, Kansas, and UL.   Let’s throw Duke in too just for good measure. 

What did you expect the NCAA to do, really? If they did nothing guys would bitch about that. They were hit hard for no more than what happened. If i were the other teams you listed i would be shaking right now. UofL was on probation when they were caught again. They could be looking at a 3 year ban. Kansas by going off this could get 2 years for what they were hit with. A lot worse than OSU for sure. The only thing we arent sure about is the new 3rd party ruling on Kansas and a couple others. How hard will they come down on schools. The best part of the 3rd party ruling is no appeal, what they say goes.

4 hours ago, Indykev said:

What did you expect the NCAA to do, really? If they did nothing guys would bitch about that. They were hit hard for no more than what happened. If i were the other teams you listed i would be shaking right now. UofL was on probation when they were caught again. They could be looking at a 3 year ban. Kansas by going off this could get 2 years for what they were hit with. A lot worse than OSU for sure. The only thing we arent sure about is the new 3rd party ruling on Kansas and a couple others. How hard will they come down on schools. The best part of the 3rd party ruling is no appeal, what they say goes.

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2020/06/05/ncaa-completely-misses-mark-with-oklahoma-states-postseason-ban/

4 hours ago, Sark said:

The NCAA dropped a pretty heavy punishment on a cooperating school that was unaware of what their coach was doing. Arizona, Auburn, KU and USC are probably not feeling very good right now. And U of L is probably feeling very insecure.

I wish and hope you’re right but I have zero confidence that it will materialize due to financial circumstances.  

6 hours ago, BruceDouglas said:

LOL, you guys are persistent if nothing else.

You think your coach was at OSU for only a year because he didnt know what was coming? It wasnt because U Of I is a hot bed of college basketball. There has been cheating at every stop this guy has been at. Good luck, a few losing seasons and you get busted.

16 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Told you Bruce would come over to try to set us straight

I mean...nothing has changed. You guys are just repeating yourselves.

Interesting double standard on having a former Calipari assistant on staff, though. It's not like IU hasn't had a bunch of similar guys on staff over the years - Sampson, Crean, Kenny Johnson. And Tom Ostrom, wow. His coaching roots are all Pitino (Pelphry and Donovan) and Clem Haskins! And don't forget who Archie's brother is!

See how dumb this sounds?

18 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

I mean...nothing has changed. You guys are just repeating yourselves.

Interesting double standard on having a former Calipari assistant on staff, though. It's not like IU hasn't had a bunch of similar guys on staff over the years - Sampson, Crean, Kenny Johnson. And Tom Ostrom, wow. His coaching roots are all Pitino (Pelphry and Donovan) and Clem Haskins! And don't forget who Archie's brother is!

See how dumb this sounds?

It does have a tinge of hypocrisy...

10 minutes ago, Indykev said:

This one is interesting to me. 

I read in another article(cannot view the one you posted, maybe security reasons due to my work) that their rent went from like $850ish per month to like $4000ish.

Archived