Racial tensions

rico

3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Wrong Rico. Have fun in jail. Seriously though, sad that you think you get to shoot people to defend property. Really is

It's honestly sad that not only they think they can do that, that they would do that even if it was a legal option. 

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Good.  Better to be proactive, than not.   What town is that ?

I’d rather they be outside the Walmart so they could protect all businesses in the area. Not hanging out inside. 

Brownsburg. Ticked me off they closed so early. Had a project I needed to do and couldn’t find what I needed. 

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I’d rather they be outside the Walmart so they could protect all businesses in the area. Not hanging out inside. 

Brownsburg. Ticked me off they closed so early. Had a project I needed to do and couldn’t find what I needed. 

Thanks for letting me know where you are.  Just checked on line for our local Walmart. They are closing at 8:30.  Of course that is mountain time. And we are miles away from the "protests" in Denver.

Ace is the place. 

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks for letting me know where you are.  Just checked on line for our local Walmart. They are closing at 8:30.  Of course that is mountain time. And we are miles away from the "protests" in Denver.

Ace is the place. 

Mine still said 830 on their website.  Governor issued orders of a curfew. They are closing so workers can get home before curfew 

1 hour ago, HoosierFaithful said:

We are talking a whole lot more about looting than we are about systemic police violence against POC.  

If I were to guess, that's because a certain group of people have no interest in having that difficult conversation and doing the necessary reflection as to why that system (and many other systems of oppression) are in place. Because those people all benefit or are not impacted by those systems, so any change that threatens their status quo is bad. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Well said. I was trying to switch the convo back to why we're in this situation to begin with. 

There are a lot of reasons...

Faulty police hiring methods...Inadequacy in police training...cynicism of long time cops concerning people of color..."The God Complex"..., Police oversight and management personnel overlooking indiscretions, elected officials caving to police unions for endorsement...

That's just off the top of my head...

But there's a second side to the coin, that I guarantee will get some people upset...

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

If I were to guess, that's because a certain group of people have no interest in having that difficult conversation and doing the necessary reflection as to why that system (and many other systems of oppression) are in place. Because those people all benefit or are not impacted by those systems, so any change that threatens their status quo is bad. 

Nobody had said anything about thinking what has gone on is alright and that there is not a huge problem.  What we are saying is that rioting and looting is not the right away to bring change.  Also in my opinion the people who are rioting are not doing this to protest and to bring change but just to cause problems.  I respect the people who are doing peaceful protest and not hurting innocent people's lively hood.

34 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Walmart in town closed at 5 today. Saw several police going inside as it was closing  The cops are protecting what’s important to the powers that be I guess. 

31 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It's honestly sad that not only they think they can do that, that they would do that even if it was a legal option. 

Just as sad to me is that you think I do not have the right to defend the things I've worked for my entire life for.  What kind of person wantonly takes the property of another under the guise of a protest?  

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Two wrongs don’t make a right my toddler understands that 

Exactly and that is why rioting is not a justification for what had happened. What happened to Mr. Floyd was horrible and the cop should fry for it.  Also why keep protesting because the cop had been arrested and charged with murder.

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Exactly and that is why rioting is not a justification for what had happened. What happened to Mr. Floyd was horrible and the cop should fry for it.  Also why keep protesting because the cop had been arrested and charged with murder.

True. But that also doesn’t excuse you killing somebody. Three wrongs don’t make a right if yo-yo need it that blunt 

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Rolling back a lot of the drug policies put in place during the "war on drugs" would be a start.  

Expunge non-violent drug related convictions should be at the top of the list. Abolishing no-knock warrants should be up there too.

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Rolling back a lot of the drug policies put in place during the "war on drugs" would be a start.  

And, there would be non-black offenders who would be helped out as well. While we're at it, how about changing how we approach addiction to harm reduction, public health  as opposed to criminalization.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Just saw more pictures from the riots in Indy last night and there were white people down their looting as well.  It is just not a race thing when talking about the riots but it is about bad people doing this.  Saw two white guys busting a window and then started a fire and if they came into my business I would feel the same exact thing.

Yeah. The protests and the unsavory extra-curricular perps have all been multi-racial. 

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Local Ft Wayne news just aired statistics refuting the mayor’s statement that many of the protesters arrested were not local. According to arrest numbers only 20 of the almost 100 people arrested were not from Ft Wayne. And of those 20, most were from surrounding communities.

At least in Ft Wayne, out of town protesters don’t seem to be a problem 

I'm pretty sure the same was found in the Minnesota situation as well. The MN governor was on a press conference talking about anarchists and white supremacists, which CNN quickly parroted. Then I went over to Fox News and the same "out of towners" narrative was being pinned on Antifa. Bunch of people trying to win political/ideological points.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well if you wait to see if the intruder pulls a gun on you then it might be to late because you will be dead.  If a person breaks a glass window then he has to have something that broke the window which could be a weapon.  If a person wants to stay safe then no break into a place to steal things in the first place.  I just hate seeing innocent people having their business destroyed over something that they had nothing to do with.  Also the people who are doing the rioting and looting are not doing it to protest but they see an opportunity to break the law.

I’m struggling to answer thoughtfully, and simply give you and others an answer without myself lashing out in frustration, because honestly, a lot of this makes me angry because off how idiotically moronic it is to assert anyone has the “right” to shoot and kill someone, out of fear that someone “might” actually threaten them, while stealing. If you ARE threatened or have a REASONABLE belief you are being threatened with deadly force, then you have a right to defend YOURSELF.

Here’s the deal guys, this is state criminal law. I don’t write it, I don’t make it up, I’m just trying to explain it. I really don’t care if you like it or not.
However, honestly, it troubles me that you bend over backwards — visibly -to try to justify killing someone — that is what we’re talking about here — to defend business property. Of course that, itself, is criminal, whether you like it or not, but agsin regardless bending over backwards to justify it is a shame. 

We have police who are supposed to protect people, and enforce the law including against looters and rioters. No one — no one — is saying looting is ok or not a crime. That’s for the police to prosecute. It’s not for you to take the law - and killing - into your own hands. 

You don’t get to decide you have a justification for shooting and killing someone, because they broke into your shop. Again the guy who deliberately stays in his business with his shotgun drawn to shoot people will get prosecuted if he shot someone not in self defense - and notwithstanding the false repeated statements the jury won’t convict him, it depends on what the evidence shows as to his purported belief he was threatened. The other sad side of this is yes, there are times when juries don’t convict the white shop owner who killed the unarmed black man, those of you touting your right to shoot people really should think about that. That’s part of the obvious social injustice we’re talking about. 

I’m getting off my soap box, because we’re getting very close to politics, but to be honest I find it troubling and really unfortunate that anyone here thinks it’s ok to shoot people to defend property. It’s not, that’s a good thing about this country, you don’t get to decide what rights you have, we do that as a society, in Congress and our legislatures, and in the courts. 

1 hour ago, Muddy River said:

Yes, I think the looters that are taking advantage of a protest are wrong. To be clear, however, robbing a business is in no way, shape or form taking anyone's personal possessions. Businesses are not people. 

36 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

As long as you value your life more than you value my property, we will not have any problems.

The fact that you value a businesses property more than a person's life says a lot about you. 

I'm not personally religious, but if you are, I can't imagine whatever god you believe in would look kindly on someone with such hate for humanity. 

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yes, I think the looters that are taking advantage of a protest are wrong. To be clear, however, robbing a business is in no way, shape or form taking anyone's personal possessions. Businesses are not people. 

Tell that to the black couple downtown Indy who owns there own business that had 150,000 of damages.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Tell that to the black couple downtown Indy who owns there own business that had 150,000 of damages.

Those are still not their personal possessions. The business experience those damages and that really sucks, but it isn't that same as their personal possessions. 

The Secret Service has just issued a statement.  That for people around the White House to stay away.  And they have moved to have the President of the United States... to the underground bunker. For his protection.

And NO... this is not a political statement.  Just a comment on the current state of affairs in our country.

Archived