On this day in history...and misc. ramblings

rico

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Back then MNF started at 9 Eastern.  Lennon was pronounced dead at 11:00, so the game would have likely been in the 3rd quarter, though I don't remember for sure.  Don't even recall who was playing.  Just remember Cosell making the announcement.  I was 15 at the time and not a Beatles fan (huge one now), so I didn't really understand how momentous of an event it was at the time.

• Like 1

Here's a story about Cosell's announcement.  The announcement was actually made with 3 seconds left in the 4th quarter of a tie game between the Pats and Dolphins.  The Pats were lining up for a field goal (which was missed as the game ended up in OT).

Why Howard Cosell Didn’t Want to Announce John Lennon’s Death (ultimateclassicrock.com)

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Here's a story about Cosell's announcement.  The announcement was actually made with 3 seconds left in the 4th quarter of a tie game between the Pats and Dolphins.  The Pats were lining up for a field goal (which was missed as the game ended up in OT).

Why Howard Cosell Didn’t Want to Announce John Lennon’s Death (ultimateclassicrock.com)

Kinda shocking that Gifford had to press Cosell to give the news during the game...

I'd have thought Cosell would have been anxious to break the story...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Kinda shocking that Gifford had to press Cosell to give the news during the game...

I'd have thought Cosell would have been anxious to break the story...

Cosell and Lennon were great friends.  Probably the reason why Cosell was reluctant to break the news.  I can relate.

John Lennon interview with Howard Cosell.

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It's Tonya Harding Day...

Funny times that year. Who knew the Kerrigan attack at the time would be 2nd biggest sports story of the year and maybe all time considering what happened 5 months later.

That whole Harding crew...so many adjectives to describe dumb. Not enough space here. Haha.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Going to have to say don’t discuss politics but this sickening, disgusting, treasonous, blatant attack on democracy is utterly horrible to see here in our country. 

I'm here in Georgia, and I have so many friends from so many different cultures. Different races, different religions, different sexual orientations, and different countries. And amazingly those who became American Citizens by choice get it better than any of the citizens who were just born here, there was a reason the constitution was written to include checks and balances! 

• Like 3