'21-'22 National Hoops Scene

rico

On 1/8/2021 at 3:50 PM, Hoosierhoopster said:

And some don't think he's likely to be drafted in the first round? 

Dude is killing it. He has some weaknesses to work on for the next level -- has to be better about going over his weak shoulder and putting it up with his off hand. Needs to take and show the ability to knock down more outside shots (those he's taken imo have mostly looked in good form). Has to show more consistent effort on both ends (definitely not talking about the Wiscy game here), no taking time off in getting back on D. But he's obviously playing at the top of the pool, and nationally. 

I don't think he's a first round draft pick right now. He is an undersized guy 5 who can't stretch the floor and can only use one hand. He has great numbers but an insane usage. I would hope his numbers are great with a usage of 31%. I mean in all honesty, when you look at his stats pretty much all the increase is due to usage. It's impressive to keep things up with higher usage, but if he wasn't a first round draft pick last year I'm not seeing what he got better at to make me think he is now. 

When I think about him trying to hold his own in am NBA game in my head it isn't a pretty picture. Where would you put him on an NBA court?

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't think he's a first round draft pick right now. He is an undersized guy 5 who can't stretch the floor and can only use one hand. He has great numbers but an insane usage. I would hope his numbers are great with a usage of 31%. I mean in all honesty, when you look at his stats pretty much all the increase is due to usage. It's impressive to keep things up with higher usage, but if he wasn't a first round draft pick last year I'm not seeing what he got better at to make me think he is now. 

When I think about him trying to hold his own in am NBA game in my head it isn't a pretty picture. Where would you put him on an NBA court?

I just looked up 4 mock drafts, and of course a lot can change, but TJD was only on two of them and not remotely close to a first rounder. 

In one of those two he was the last pick of the draft and the other he was 47. 

• Like 2

You guys may well be right, as of now. As mentioned, he needs to show more shooting — that would go a long way — and he has to finish over his off shoulder and hand more, he has but not consistently. He’s not a 5 in the NBA, he’s a 4. It’s not just usage though he gets the other team’s best each night knowing it’s going to him an he’s dominating with high efficiency- I see him as going in the 20s if he continues to grow in those areas this season 

18 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

You guys may well be right, as of now. As mentioned, he needs to show more shooting — that would go a long way — and he has to finish over his off shoulder and hand more, he has but not consistently. He’s not a 5 in the NBA, he’s a 4. It’s not just usage though he gets the other team’s best each night knowing it’s going to him an he’s dominating with high efficiency- I see him as going in the 20s if he continues to grow in those areas this season 

If he is a 4 in the NBA then he has a looooooong way to go. 

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

If he is a 4 in the NBA then he has a looooooong way to go. 

He’s 6’9, can’t be a five, but of course the League is now mostly small ball. He has to show/develop his shooting and finish over both shoulders. Juwan Morgan is in the League. How many here thought he would be? TJD absolutely can play in the nba, with continuing work, but again whether he’s a first rounder still in question - I think he can get there but we’ll see 

18 minutes ago, rico said:

LOL.

Looks like the last of Knights year to me!  I would take it.

Well sure...as others have said, a long track record of success gets you a longer leash, although I remember murmurings that the game had passed Knight by.  His success trending lower probably had a fair amount to do with how Brand shortened up his leash just before he fired him.  Had Knight been winning at a high level at the end, I have a feeling the leash would have been quite a bit longer. 

White at Florida simply doesn't gave the long record of success Knight did at IU that might give the fans more patience.  That being said, I think Florida fans would be stupid and short-sighted to demand White's head here...just as I think IU fans are foolish to already give up on Archie Miller at Indiana.

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

He’s 6’9, can’t be a five, but of course the League is now mostly small ball. He has to show/develop his shooting and finish over both shoulders. Juwan Morgan is in the League. How many here thought he would be? TJD absolutely can play in the nba, with continuing work, but again whether he’s a first rounder still in question - I think he can get there but we’ll see 

To be clear I think he will be in the NBA, but Juwan Morgan didn't get drafted at all and has always been a much better perimeter players than TJD is currently. 

Of course TJD is better inside than Juwan, but at 6'9 he isn't getting draft just because he can score inside alone. 

19 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

To be clear I think he will be in the NBA, but Juwan Morgan didn't get drafted at all and has always been a much better perimeter players than TJD is currently. 

Of course TJD is better inside than Juwan, but at 6'9 he isn't getting draft just because he can score inside alone. 

Agree, though Juwan’s outside shooting numbers weren’t good. TJD has barely shown an outside game (though I think his shooting could be good), definitely needs to 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2021 at 4:50 PM, 5fouls said:

Didn't want to start a new thread on this.  But, at this point in the season, these are TJD's national rankings in some stats. 

1st - 2 point FG attempts

2nd - 2 point FGs made (to Garza)

2nd in FTs made (to Marcus Carr)

2nd in FTs attempted (Jalen Moore of Oakland)

9th in Minutes played

6th in defensive rebounds

8th in total rebounds

4th in total points

8th in Defensive Win Shares

7th in Total Win Shares

I know some think he doesn't get enough touches, but these numbers indicate otherwise.

2020-21 Leaders | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com (sports-reference.com)

I agree with those great. I think he touches and lack of touches come in waves. I don't feel you can go more than 3 straight possessions without him getting a post touch

17 hours ago, rico said:

LOL.

Looks like the last of Knights year to me!  I would take it.

Agreed...but Knight won 3 NC...he wasn’t the coach taking over for a guy that won 2...and ever since has been slowly falling back to mediocrity. I think White is a good coach...but he just hasn’t put it together there...especially when the SEC isn’t exactly a power house conference. Outside UK, Auburn, and Tennessee it’s downright pathetic most years.

• Like 1