Wisconsin Postgame Thread

KDB

9 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Galloway’s game is now known. He is being scouted.

The next step for him, as a developing frosh, is to further develop his shooting and find other ways to score. His offense had little range right now and that makes it easier to defend him and limits what he can do. 

True...but, the offense moves faster and more with a purpose with him on the floor.  He can dribble drive and pass on a dime to Leal.  These kids can complement each other.  He also is one of the few that is comfortable feeding the post.  

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Very disappointed in the outcome, but pleased with the way the team played.  2OT against an experienced team getting their customary 5 foul advantage while playing 3 freshmen significant minutes.  Missing Franklin obviously hurt, but we compensated for it well.  Race getting saddled with fouls hurts without having Brunk and I think TJD was a little "spent" at the end.

This was a game where the way we played was fun to watch.  If we can do it consistently the wins will come.

Pretty much everything I logged on to say, but probably worded better. I liked watching our play last night. So happy for Leal to get some shots dropping. There was a brief (not brief enough unfortunately) where it seemed like it was four freshman and TJD. WI really pulled ahead during that unfortunate stretch. 

2 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

There was a brief (not brief enough unfortunately) where it seemed like it was four freshman and TJD. WI really pulled ahead during that unfortunate stretch. 

Yeah, that hurt...I think that's when we went down 12?

And that's with TJD and Al playing 49 minutes and Rob 48 in a 50 minute game...

Race got negated over the foul trouble, but if you noticed, he hardly played at the end of regulation and the OT...That was a big blow losing our flexibility with him early...

Just watched the game and haven't gone through this thread yet, but any game commentary that doesn't include how awful that officiating is, is way off base. I can live with the host of no calls against them in the lane, but the 2nd half fouls their guards got we're unbelievable. The offensive foul on hunter in the 1st, the box out call on leal in it, the shooting foul on phinisee. Just unbelievable.

35 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

True...but, the offense moves faster and more with a purpose with him on the floor.  He can dribble drive and pass on a dime to Leal.  These kids can complement each other.  He also is one of the few that is comfortable feeding the post.  

Agree - I’m not saying he doesn’t help the team, have said that many times. I’m saying he is going to have trouble scoring now because he is now scouted and his offense, without a reliable jumper and range, is too limited. His shot needs work. The kid is a hard worker, I’m sure he’ll put in the work, as a frosh, that he needs to grow his game 

11 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Just watched the game and haven't gone through this thread yet, but any game commentary that doesn't include how awful that officiating is, is way off base. I can live with the host of no calls against them in the lane, but the 2nd half fouls their guards got we're unbelievable. The offensive foul on hunter in the 1st, the box out call on leal in it, the shooting foul on phinisee. Just unbelievable.

If you go through the game thread and find 3 consecutive posts without a comment on the officiating, I'll be shocked...

And the blockout foul on Leal was just beyond comment...

10 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

That's the tough part. Race early 2 and Jerome 3 impacted the game directly....but we can't comment on officiating because officiating never impacts a game. I mean 16 shots for TJD and 5 FT attempts. Haha.

Valuable, valuable minutes for the kids. Obviously Leal, Galloway...even Jordan. Lander just needs to relax. His time will come. We really missed Joey Brunk last night which is why some of us spoke in the other thread about his importance to give TJD a rest. 

Far more good than bad last night. 1-2 late possessions was the difference.

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If you go through the game thread and find 3 consecutive posts without a comment on the officiating, I'll be shocked...

And the blockout foul on Leal was just beyond comment...

It even had Brian Snow commenting on twitter about it. I mean when Snow rushes to defend IU you know it's bad. 

It seems like most college games are a race each half to see who gets into the double bonus first. 

Its not like I've tracked it or anything, but I feel like every team pretty much gets into the double bonus every half. 

I saw a stat last night that in the second half (including the 10 minutes of overtime) Wisconsin was only called for 8 fouls. Again, that's including both OT's!?!?

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

It seems like most college games are a race each half to see who gets into the double bonus first. 

Its not like I've tracked it or anything, but I feel like every team pretty much gets into the double bonus every half. 

I saw a stat last night that in the second half (including the 10 minutes of overtime) Wisconsin was only called for 8 fouls. Again, that's including both OT's!?!?

And they could have been called for 3 on the final possession of regulation alone.  

I have hated refs for a long time.  Last night didn't do them any favors on that spectrum.  

Wonder what kenpom has as our luck factor?

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

And they could have been called for 3 on the final possession of regulation alone.  

I have hated refs for a long time.  Last night didn't do them any favors on that spectrum.  

Wonder what kenpom has as our luck factor?

It was low before last night so I'm not sure how much the game impacted it, but as of now IU's luck factor is 255th in the country.

10 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Coming in a solid 255th in the nation.  Could be worse. 

Anyone able to explain how this metric is calculated?

Here is the glossary definition from KenPom:

"Luck – A measure of the deviation between a team’s actual winning percentage and what one would expect from its game-by-game efficiencies. It’s a Dean Oliver invention. Essentially, a team involved in a lot of close games should not win (or lose) all of them. Those that do will be viewed as lucky (or unlucky)."

What I get from that is we have a strong offensive/defensive efficiency rating but we aren't winning close games. Call it luck, execution, veteran leadership, whatever.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

And Khristian needs to follow the blueprint that Trey and Anthony are giving him...You don't have to come in and score, and make a lot of plays...just run the offense, take care of the ball, defend, and if a play comes your way, great...BUT STOP FORCING IT! 3 shots in 4 minutes? And I'm not sure a one of them touched iron...Kid, you put "patience is the key" on your Twitter feed...Yes, it certainly is...WITHIN THE GAME, not just in overall progress...Bardo said something to that effect about our freshmen during the game...and he lauded Leal for doing just that...

I whole heartedly agree but I also wonder with Trey, Anthony and even Geronimo playing off the ball: do they have an easier opportunity to step back and let the game come to them vs. Lander who's supposed to be handling the ball? I don't want to call it disappearing into the offense, but keeping space and swinging the ball around is much easier than bringing the ball up the court and initiating the offense. He clearly is trying to do too much but it's harder to get him those off the ball minutes than other Freshmen. 

Not trying to take stance on whether Lander should be getting more or less minutes, or making excuses.....just recognizing that it must be challenging for Arch to find him those minutes. 

One thing I will say after last night, those minutes don't need to come with 2 other freshmen on the floor. Maybe the thinking behind that decision is KL plays better with those guys in practice? Whatever it was, it sure didn't work out in that scenario. 

I have often heard the first four years theory with a new coach of losing big year 1, losing small year 2, winning small year 3 and winning big year 4.  I realize we are in year 4, but maybe this is our losing small year.  If TJD comes back, next year could definitely our winning small (or big) year!

7 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I whole heartedly agree but I also wonder with Trey, Anthony and even Geronimo playing off the ball: do they have an easier opportunity to step back and let the game come to them vs. Lander who's supposed to be handling the ball? I don't want to call it disappearing into the offense, but keeping space and swinging the ball around is much easier than bringing the ball up the court and initiating the offense. He clearly is trying to do too much but it's harder to get him those off the ball minutes than other Freshmen. 

Not trying to take stance on whether Lander should be getting more or less minutes, or making excuses.....just recognizing that it must be challenging for Arch to find him those minutes. 

One thing I will say after last night, those minutes don't need to come with 2 other freshmen on the floor. Maybe the thinking behind that decision is KL plays better with those guys in practice? Whatever it was, it sure didn't work out in that scenario. 

I will agree that it's probably easier for Trey and Anthony playing off the ball, but there have been some really fine point guards who didn't put the emphasis on scoring as Khristian seems to...I mean 3 shots in 4 minutes? Move the ball, direct the offense, and hold your own on the defensive end I think would get him more minutes...He doesn't need to score...

And your point about who he was on the floor with is well taken...I think either Al or Rob should be out there with him...Maybe let Khristian play off the ball some? 

He's never in the game long enough to get comfortable, and a lot of that is his own doing...

Just now, Milehi Fan said:

I have often heard the first four years theory with a new coach of losing big year 1, losing small year 2, winning small year 3 and winning big year 4.  I realize we are in year 4, but maybe this is our losing small year.  If TJD comes back, next year could definitely our winning small (or big) year!

I think overall the fan base was expecting us to be a well oiled machine year 4 because Crean’s team year 4 was very good and exceeded expectations. For me I’m overall pretty happy with the direction we’re headed even though it’s hard to be patient and sit as a middle of the road big ten team for now. I think the path we’re on is one where we will be more happy with the consistency instead of Crean’s teams where we would win the big ten one year and then miss the tournament the next. I don’t think Archie’s teams will ever be that inconsistent. 

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I will agree that it's probably easier for Trey and Anthony playing off the ball, but there have been some really fine point guards who didn't put the emphasis on scoring as Khristian seems to...I mean 3 shots in 4 minutes? Move the ball, direct the offense, and hold your own on the defensive end I think would get him more minutes...He doesn't need to score...

And your point about who he was on the floor with is well taken...I think either Al or Rob should be out there with him...Maybe let Khristian play off the ball some? 

He's never in the game long enough to get comfortable, and a lot of that is his own doing...

not being facetious here at all, serious question. At this point we can agree that KL is not a scorer. What would be the advantage to have KL on the floor off the ball and not point 1. I do think he is one of our best ball handlers. 

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Can't argue with that. He really needs to focus and take advantage of those opportunities. 

The kid has proved he can stay in front of elite defenders....he's so quick. Maybe this is where it needs to start: go in there and get some stops....get through screens...create pressure.

But have him play off the ball. See if he can get 5 straight minutes in without the +/- getting out of control. Speaking of +/- does anybody know where to find that info for KL? 

1 minute ago, ledies22 said:

not being facetious here at all, serious question. At this point we can agree that KL is not a scorer. What would be the advantage to have KL on the floor off the ball and not point 1. I do think he is one of our best ball handlers. 

I think that's a good assessment with an emphasis on "At this point."

My own feeling of having him off the ball is, it would lessen his opportunities to, well, screw up for lack of a better term...Have him moving in the offense, coming off screens...anything to keep him in the game longer than 4 minutes...Get him get use to the speed and the flow of the game...

He may grow into a fine scoring point guard...But I agree that he needs to perform in other facets of his game first...the scoring will come...

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Can't argue with that. He really needs to focus and take advantage of those opportunities. 

The kid has proved he can stay in front of elite defenders....he's so quick. Maybe this is where it needs to start: go in there and get some stops....get through screens...create pressure.

But have him play off the ball. See if he can get 5 straight minutes in without the +/- getting out of control. Speaking of +/- does anybody know where to find that info for KL? 

Exactly...As I said before, he's a smart kid...he knows the game...He's got to see what's getting Anthony and Trey playing time, and it isn't scoring, although Anthony's scoring last night was the whipped cream, nuts, and cherry on the sundae...Anthony took his opportunity and capitalized big time...

Archived