Wisconsin Postgame Thread

KDB

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

no we didnt, there wasn't a tournament and Lunardi had us out.

1) if your argument is we didn't make it because there wasn't a tournament, then your point that we missed it is the dumbest thing you've said today, and that's impressive with the roll you're on Kev. Can't miss something that never happened. 

2) Lunardi is not good at his job, there's data that says as much. Why would you trust him saying we wouldn't have made it instead of the almost everyone else who said we were safely in?

3) what type of whiskey did you put in your coffee this AM?

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Indykev said:

Getting blown out at home to Northwestern tells me other wise. Archie can damn sure call the plays, but he can't execute them...isn't it his job to get players to execute? you and I can draw up a play. Archie better hire an assistant that can teach offense because he doesnt have one now. A blow out or a 2ot loss is still a loss. They had to find ways to lose last night and they did.

As others have cited, I don't see a 7 point loss as a blowout...

You say "isn't it his job to get players to execute?"

Well, it's certainly in his job description to prepare players to execute, but the actual execution of the play is up to the players...there is another team out on that floor, and it's their job to disrupt that execution...

A loss is certainly a loss, but you're not encouraged by the fight this team is displaying? People bitched that Archie's teams had no emotion...did you see the bench last night? The closeness of the group? How they support one another?

Look, we lost without our second best player. We came back from 12 down, and had them, in Gard's words, "on the ropes." It shows up in the loss column, but to me it damn sure moves the progress meter on this team and this program...

Hang on, @Indykev... It's gonna get fun... 

1 hour ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I was actually wondering the same I had to watch the game on a slight delay after I got the kids asleep ....didn’t get to watch any postgame coverage ...did anyone ask or did Archie address what happened during practice or what about this matchup caused leal to basically flip into galloways minutes role ?  Not complaining about it ( although I’m a big Galloway fan ) but I’m curious 

As I said, I think Galloway and Leal are similar players in a lot of ways...Leal is a better outside shooter, and we need that right now...

1 hour ago, madmax said:

But at a certain point it just comes back on the players to make plays and hit shots. All signs point to the offense creating good shots, we’ve just often lacked the firepower to make the shots. Not sure if you saw this, but I think it’s pretty enlightening. 

D8967806-C417-4643-B915-6990D4CB98FA.jpeg

intriguing graphic. Never seen anything like this. If anything, this shows the coaching/system in a positive light. no? 

29 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

1) if your argument is we didn't make it because there wasn't a tournament, then your point that we missed it is the dumbest thing you've said today, and that's impressive with the roll you're on Kev. Can't miss something that never happened. 

2) Lunardi is not good at his job, there's data that says as much. Why would you trust him saying we wouldn't have made it instead of the almost everyone else who said we were safely in?

3) what type of whiskey did you put in your coffee this AM?

1) works both ways. The tournament didn't happen and there were no selections so people also can't claim that IU was in the tournament. Can't make something that never happened.

The fact remains that IU has not played in the NCAAT under Miller. 

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

As I said, I think Galloway and Leal are similar players in a lot of ways...Leal is a better outside shooter, and we need that right now...

I would say complementary players, at least offensively. 

They each excel where the other seems to struggle. Leal is the shooter and Galloway is the play-maker. They could really fit well together. 

5 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

1) works both ways. The tournament didn't happen and there were no selections so people also can't claim that IU was in the tournament. Can't make something that never happened.

And Ted Williams, who played from 1939-1960, didn't record a single hit from 1943-1945. 

Do you see what an incredibly stupid point that is? 

And besides that was in response to Kev who said we missed something that didn't happen. What I see all of our reasonable, intelligent fans do is say that we would have made the tournament and we shouldn't hold it against Archie that a pandemic happened. 

1 hour ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Don’t forget he should only be a senior I think this year was planned as a build on year for him from the get go ...even limited minutes help him to adjust to the speed of the game while he hopefully works on putting on some muscle ...he’s clearly Quick enough 

Yes we've been talking about his reclassifying, coming in early at 17 years old, for a while. Some of us (myself included) initially thought he wouldn't start. That was largely disputed here, because he's a five star/#1 ranked pg in his class. Several of us, myself included, then decided he probably would start because CAM and the players talked about running with 3 on-ball guards. But Lander then didn't start. Early on though, he got pretty good minutes, but then came games where he would get 2 or 3 minutes, and that has been what he's been getting recently -- it's not enough. Minutes are earned, of course, and the kid is young and inexperienced, and we have solid veteran primary ball handlers, but we've also had games where they've disappeared, and getting the talented young point guard minutes is important (imo) for our on-ball offensive attack.

Agree he's clearly quick enough and minutes will help him adjust. He's playing too fast, he is still adjusting to the speed of the game, and he's looking to shoot more than he should, and he gets lost at times on D. But the kid is an uber talent. He's shown exceptional flashes, he's really gifted on ball, but you can't get there without playing.I just think he needs more than he's been getting but that seems to be slowly resolving itself.

12 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Yes, but it really wasn't a question that the team made the tourney, had it gone forward. It's disingenuous and basically unfair to CAM to just say he hasn't made the tourney. That's only true because of  Covid, that's really not arguable.

It’s not 100% there yet, but I think we are seeing an identity built.  And it’s a style of play I like and more importantly fits Indiana.  

As far as I’m concerned, l saw a team that competed hard, played tough defense, played mentally tough, was physical and played smart team ball.  

Yes there were a couple of horrible turnovers and perhaps some miscommunications.  But for the most part we are playing to an identity that most of us like.  It’s not aimless basketball.  A philosophy is taking hold.  You don’t even have to squint to see it.

Surely I’m not the only one seeing this trend? 

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I would say complementary players, at least offensively. 

They each excel where the other seems to struggle. Leal is the shooter and Galloway is the play-maker. They could really fit well together. 

I'd agree with that...defensively Trey might be a bit more athletic, but Anthony is as tenacious in his D as anyone on the team...he was inside mixing it up with the big guys a few times last night...

1 hour ago, madmax said:

But at a certain point it just comes back on the players to make plays and hit shots. All signs point to the offense creating good shots, we’ve just often lacked the firepower to make the shots. Not sure if you saw this, but I think it’s pretty enlightening. 

D8967806-C417-4643-B915-6990D4CB98FA.jpeg

Certainly, this supports the fact that IU is getting good shots but not making them at an acceptable clip, but what I love most about this is where I see pUKe on the grid...bad shooters taking bad shots.  Good job, Cal!  😂😂😂

Also noteworthy...

1. Houston is a surprise.
  2. Michigan is impressive but a tiny sample size.
  3. Wisconsin is a surprise.
  4. Interesting to see Kansas, North Carolina and Villanova all clustered around mediocrity.
  5. Turdue not interesting enough to chart. 😂
  6. Obviously, the quality of shot is a subjective measure, so I'd like to know more how that is graded.

I'd be very interested in seeing this updated as the season progresses.

14 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

And Ted Williams, who played from 1939-1960, didn't record a single hit from 1943-1945. 

Do you see what an incredibly stupid point that is? 

And besides that was in response to Kev who said we missed something that didn't happen. What I see all of our reasonable, intelligent fans do is say that we would have made the tournament and we shouldn't hold it against Archie that a pandemic happened. 

6 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yes, but it really wasn't a question that the team made the tourney, had it gone forward. It's disingenuous and basically unfair to CAM to just say he hasn't made the tourney. That's only true because of  Covid, that's really not arguable.

Every year the selection committee leaves or a team or two people thought were for sure in. IU was in a position that they could've easily been left out. They were likely in but it was far from guaranteed. They were a bubble team so I disagree that it's "not arguable."

Stupid is trying to say that you can't say they didn't make the tournament because it was cancelled but you can still claim that made it even though it was cancelled. There was no tournament so IU neither made it or missed it. It still has not played in or been selected for the NCAAT  under Miller. Whether or not they would've made it last year is debatable because it's just opinion.

24 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yes we've been talking about his reclassifying, coming in early at 17 years old, for a while. Some of us (myself included) initially thought he wouldn't start. That was largely disputed here, because he's a five star/#1 ranked pg in his class. Several of us, myself included, then decided he probably would start because CAM and the players talked about running with 3 on-ball guards. But Lander then didn't start. Early on though, he got pretty good minutes, but then came games where he would get 2 or 3 minutes, and that has been what he's been getting recently -- it's not enough. Minutes are earned, of course, and the kid is young and inexperienced, and we have solid veteran primary ball handlers, but we've also had games where they've disappeared, and getting the talented young point guard minutes is important (imo) for our on-ball offensive attack.

Agree he's clearly quick enough and minutes will help him adjust. He's playing too fast, he is still adjusting to the speed of the game, and he's looking to shoot more than he should, and he gets lost at times on D. But the kid is an uber talent. He's shown exceptional flashes, he's really gifted on ball, but you can't get there without playing.I just think he needs more than he's been getting but that seems to be slowly resolving itself.

That’s fair I just don’t see it happening unless 1. We are out of the race to make the tournament or 2. He develops a lot in practice .....it looks to me like this is just a spot run to prep him for taking over primary duties next year and hopefully he adds 10 -20 and can use that quickness on d also 

You guys have discussed all the little things from the game, so let's get to the important stuff of Archie's presser...

Did any of you notice the big wad of 'something' in his lower right jaw, and the persistent spitting during the presser? If I didn't know better, I'd say he was chewing tobacco, but can't believe in a million years that's possible. And you don't spit out bubble gum juice like he did...

Also, he appeared to have a few small cuts on his face. (they may not have been cuts, but looked it to me)

Anybody with any insights?

1 minute ago, Muckraker said:

Boston won't part with Brad, with all those NBA titles he's won for them.... 

I appreciate your sarcasm, but he signed an extension in August. Both he and his wife had made favoring comments of the NBA over NCAA. Even if it is not with the Celtics Stevens has probably a 10 year job security in the NBA.

26 minutes ago, DWB said:

You guys have discussed all the little things from the game, so let's get to the important stuff of Archie's presser...

Did any of you notice the big wad of 'something' in his lower right jaw, and the persistent spitting during the presser? If I didn't know better, I'd say he was chewing tobacco, but can't believe in a million years that's possible. And you don't spit out bubble gum juice like he did...

Also, he appeared to have a few small cuts on his face. (they may not have been cuts, but looked it to me)

Real Chewers don't spit. That's all I got. :)

30 minutes ago, DWB said:

My concern  (probably over reacting) is that the "wad" was cotton, gauze, or something similar, and he was spitting blood. Didn't know if you guys heard anything that would shed some light on it. Sure seems weird to me.

32 minutes ago, DWB said:

I noticed it looked like his right cheek looked swollen.  Maybe he had some dental work and he was spitting out blood.

Just now, IU Scott said:

They didn't show Archie up close that often during the game so we probably wouldn't notice it.  What are you thinking that he got in a fight in the locker room LOL!

Only for a millisecond....then logic set in. :D

Archived