RIP Coach John Chaney

15 hours ago, Muddy River said:

P.S.  I'd have bet the farm on Chaney.

I also would have bet the farm on CJC! However, as much as I hate Slimy, I have to give him credit for his respect of Coach Chaney.

Coach Chaney and I fought every game we competed – as everyone knows, sometimes literally – but in the end he was my friend. Throughout my career, we would talk about basketball and life. I will miss those talks and I will my friend. Rest in peace, Coach!

Consider the similarities between Chaney (who also was known for his fiery demeanor with players and reporters alike) and Knight it will be interesting to see how differently (if at all) the media reacts when the time comes and ol Coach Knight leaves us. To see the reverence for Chaney and how vilified Knight is (outside Indiana and a few old basketball folk like Vitale) seems a bit two faced imo.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Consider the similarities between Chaney (who also was known for his fiery demeanor with players and reporters alike) and Knight it will be interesting to see how differently (if at all) the media reacts when the time comes and ol Coach Knight leaves us. To see the reverence for Chaney and how vilified Knight is (outside Indiana and a few old basketball folk like Vitale) seems a bit two faced imo.

Chaney had his own controversial times, some covered in the article, but his legacy was deservedly highlighted for all the many positives he brought to college basketball and the kids he helped and supported. Imo RMK is more controversial but will, as he should, be remembered as well for his greatness as a coach, for the huge impact he had on IN basketball and IU, for the clean program he ran here, and for the lives he positively shaped. He was/is a complicated man, but when he passes his many accomplishments and contributions will be deservedly remembered 

8 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Chaney had his own controversial times, some covered in the article, but his legacy was deservedly highlighted for all the many positives he brought to college basketball and the kids he helped and supported. Imo RMK is more controversial but will, as he should, be remembered as well for his greatness as a coach, for the huge impact he had on IN basketball and IU, for the clean program he ran here, and for the lives he positively shaped. He was/is a complicated man, but when he passes his many accomplishments and contributions will be deservedly remembered 

I hope so. Just saying I’ve been listening to a ton of sports talk past week and Chaney deservedly has been praised and revered...but he wasn’t without his own run ins and issues. When you hear people talk about Knight (albeit a much bigger figure) he doesn’t receive nearly the praise and little if any respect in the national media...just saying I wonder if he will get his just due. I hope he does.

Archived