Give TJD Killingsworth Mean Streak and ...

Bustout

14 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

He's about as good as Killingsworth at passing out of a double team. 

Ha. Yeah.   Just wish he would go two hand slamma jamma like Hunter did there at the end.   If TJD did, he’d either get fouled or the guy trying to stop him would get a minimum 5 metacarpal bones broken.  

4 hours ago, Bustout said:

He’d be first team All NBA this year.    

I love the kid and am rooting for him, but going up every time looking to get fouled is maddening beyond belief.    

Heckuva comeback though.  Don’t care who in the B1G they beat. W is a W from here on out. 

I am a TJD fan, but no. The reason TJD isn't showing up on draft boards is as much, if not more so, skill related as it is his mindset. 

He is short, can't score outside of the paint, has limited post moves, can't use his off hand, struggles with guys with NBA size (not even NBA talent), and is a mediocre in ball defender in the paint. 

The good news is, he is a really good college player and most of those things are correctable. 

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I am a TJD fan, but no. The reason TJD isn't showing up on draft boards is as much, if not more so, skill related as it is his mindset. 

He is short, can't score outside of the paint, has limited post moves, can't use his off hand, struggles with guys with NBA size (not even NBA talent), and is a mediocre in ball defender in the paint. 

The good news is, he is a really good college player and most of those things are correctable. 

This is spot on.  I agree 100% with this above.  

9 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah - I was joking about being first team NBA this year.  That was a joke. 

I just see other players assert themselves and are extremely aggressive.  I don’t see that with TJD.  

1 hour ago, RoadToZion said:

If TJD flexes one more time after a made layup I am going to lose it. He is so soft around the rim 90% of the time.

Yes. When we're tied or down 1 on the last possession of the game, and he finishes strong for the win, flex away. Until then, save your energy for your next post move or defense.

The kid has room to grow for sure. A lot of work left to do with his footwork around the basket and on developing a jump shot...but I don’t want to rag on him. Without him we probably wouldn’t have won a single game this year. Imagine if we had Brunk and no TJD...we’d be probably 3-16. He is asked to carry a lot. He has had a tough stretch of 3-4 games as teams sole focus is to take him out of the game. That’s it...let everyone else beat them. It isn’t easy to play against that. So work to do...Archie needs to help him identify the doubles and we need to give him outlets. I hate hate hate our spacing after we toss it in to him...and everyone standing around. How many times did the guy that doubled Trayce did his man cut to the rim or flash to the open area on the floor for a 3??!  Guys it’s a team game and his teammates aren’t helping. They are not clearing out so their man digs at him...they aren’t moving! They stand and watch. Have to fix that. He needs to work on his game 100% but dang it the other 4 guys on the court need to help too....and look how great some of those dead ball plays worked when people set screens to free him up on the block instead of him just having to fight for position himself over and over from side to side! It’s frustrating because there are things we can do to get him the ball in better position where he can score. Guy needs help too...it’s a hard game.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

The kid has room to grow for sure. A lot of work left to do with his footwork around the basket and on developing a jump shot...but I don’t want to rag on him. Without him we probably wouldn’t have won a single game this year. Imagine if we had Brunk and no TJD...we’d be probably 3-16. He is asked to carry a lot. He has had a tough stretch of 3-4 games as teams sole focus is to take him out of the game. That’s it...let everyone else beat them. It isn’t easy to play against that. So work to do...Archie needs to help him identify the doubles and we need to give him outlets. I hate hate hate our spacing after we toss it in to him...and everyone standing around. How many times did the guy that doubled Trayce did his man cut to the rim or flash to the open area on the floor for a 3??!  Guys it’s a team game and his teammates aren’t helping. They are not clearing out so their man digs at him...they aren’t moving! They stand and watch. Have to fix that. He needs to work on his game 100% but dang it the other 4 guys on the court need to help too....and look how great some of those dead ball plays worked when people set screens to free him up on the block instead of him just having to fight for position himself over and over from side to side! It’s frustrating because there are things we can do to get him the ball in better position where he can score. Guy needs help too...it’s a hard game.

He’s talented no doubt.  And he is asked to do a lot, completely agree.  But I’m not dogging his skillset, I just at times see an opportunity for a junkyard dog type attitude that could help him.  Just get mean and nasty down there. Have kids fear going to the block with him.  Rutgers, Purdue,  ILL, etc all have solid big men that play tough.   Maybe he’s just more finesse or doesn’t have the body yet, but I’ve seen flashes of it .... just want more of it.   Like go up for a two hand dunk and smash anything that comes in between him and the rim. 

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

It’s hard for me to get too excited about a program’s development, when after this many years we are extremely average and still one player getting injured away from being worse than we were when Archie took over. Kind of a red flag.

16 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

It’s hard for me to get too excited about a program’s development, when after this many years we are extremely average and still one player getting injured away from being worse than we were when Archie took over. Kind of a red flag.

I too worry we are too one player dependent. Look how we struggled with just Armaan out or hobbled. This team has no room for error.

Killingsworth was a beast. As Vitale said of Killingsworth during the game against Duke...”he is a man playing amongst boys, he is a Goliath.” Who remembers that game he had against Sheldon Williams? Needless to say, we never saw Killingworth flex after a layup.

I would’ve loved to see Killingsworth and DJ together on the floor. Strange to think... but if not for DJ’s foot injury — which kept him out that year — that could’ve been a special team. 

Archived