Minnesota Post-Game Thread

KDB

10 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

It’s good we won. But god we looked awful doing it.  

IU played far from a perfect game, but I’d be curious into your reasoning for why we “looked awful.” IU shot 58% from 3, over 76% from the line, held UMN to 20% from 3, and went on a 16-2 run in the second half to beat a decent team by double digits. 

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

That’s for seeding and matchup purposes, not for actual selection of the teams. The committee does not consider conference record or affiliation when selecting teams for the tournament. We feel better when IU finishes higher in the big ten standings, but besides the strength of the actual wins of those games, the big ten record literally does not matter one bit. 

Ok thanks.  That makes sense.  

10 hours ago, IUFLA said:

You trash our coach even when we win?

SMH...

It was a joke my friend...lighten up! If I only trashed him when we lost I could only trash him half the time...why waste a good joke!

hint...this is another joke...probably not funny but we all don’t have the same sense of humor and that’s ok. 👍

12 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Correction.  We, this board and IU fans and many across the nation give little Ricky no respect.  However, they were ranked around 15 like 4 weeks ago so it's not like they are totally disrespected and underrated.  

Guilty as charged. Maybe it's their location or whatever...but I was pretty impressed with some of their parts last night. I can see why they beat Iowa, Ohio St, and Michigan. Watch them give the Illini all they can handle this weekend. 

Sadly though we should pull for Illinois. Need some of tourney seeding comrades to keep losing. 

1 minute ago, rico said:

Maybe the Gophers have realistic expectations?

I think their expectations is just to make the tournament...and maybe he isn’t like his dad and is a nice man and his kids stay out of trouble. Some schools do have different priorities. 

That said Minnesota is a hot bed for basketball talent over the past 5 years...they honestly could do better.

Just now, dgambill said:

I think their expectations is just to make the tournament...and maybe he isn’t like his dad and is a nice man and his kids stay out of trouble. Some schools do have different priorities. 

That said Minnesota is a hot bed for basketball talent over the past 5 years...they honestly could do better.

Minnesota does get pillaged by other schools.  Hello Race.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Sure does seem like it. Feel like every single year for the past decade someone out of Minnesota is on the short list of top high school players.

10 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Just out of curiosity. Are you ever happy? Or just better at the bitc---- department? Maybe it's youth. Maybe a lack of emotional intelligence but it's okay to be happy with a win vs a team that beat Michigan, Purdue, Ohio St,etc...

I am extremely happy. It’s much easier to joke around when you are. I’m the one cracking jokes and yet there are others that are so wound up right that they have to take personal “intelligence” shots at people?? If I slept at a holiday inn and woke up a therapist I might think someone is projecting their anger and frustration on someone cracking a joke. Win or lose I’m a happy man...I have a beautiful daughter and wife and I know my Lord and Savior has me in the palm of his hand. Maybe I have a poor sense of humor and I apologize. To see two coaches in the B1G who have losing conference records being so chummy and talking it up I guess I was the only one to think to lighten the mood after we were so up in arms in the first half wanting to fire Archie and then after we finally put together 5 mins of good basketball down the stretch wanted to hug him lol. I’m just weird I guess.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I am extremely happy. It’s much easier to joke around when you are. I’m the one cracking jokes and yet there are others that are so wound up right that they have to take personal “intelligence” shots at people?? If I slept at a holiday inn and woke up a therapist I might think someone is projecting their anger and frustration on someone cracking a joke. Win or lose I’m a happy man...I have a beautiful daughter and wife and I know my Lord and Savior has me in the palm of his hand. Maybe I have a poor sense of humor and I apologize. To see two coaches in the B1G who have losing conference records being so chummy and talking it up I guess I was the only one to think to lighten the mood after we were so up in arms in the first half wanting to fire Archie and then after we finally put together 5 mins of good basketball down the stretch wanted to hug him lol. I’m just weird I guess.

All good. Didn't seem like a joke but maybe I took it the wrong way.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Remember my motto....A day without beer is like a day without sunshine.  Cheers.

18 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Who would they get that is so much better?  

8 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Who would they get that is so much better?  

Hard to say...I don’t think he is a terrible coach honestly. Minnesota is a hard job in the hardest conference. I imagine Ryan Saunders will be available after he gets fired from the Twolves pretty soon. He was noted for his player development in the gleague and is another son of a famous father coach lol. 

5 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

IMO, no conference win is trivial. Our team had a hot shooting night while defense was a bit subpar. I guess it's hard to play good on both offense and defense. 

It's good to see Hunter had a good offensive game. 

Nostradamus(me) said Jerome holds the keys to our season.  I will pat myself on the back after another banner is hung.

3 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

IMO, no conference win is trivial. Our team had a hot shooting night while defense was a bit subpar. I guess it's hard to play good on both offense and defense. 

It's good to see Hunter had a good offensive game. 

I was happy about our shooting...I keep saying we need to take more 3s. I don’t think bad threes but we get many uncontested looks and yet sometimes we still wait and wait and then fly in and force up a contested two...it just doesn’t make sense to me sometimes. Especially when it’s worth more. 
As upset as I was for the first 33-35 mins about our on ball defense (no reason for them to get to the rim like that) we did respond down the stretch. Outside the OSU and Purdue games we have done that all year so it’s good to see we can focus when it counts. Give Archie credit for that for sure! 

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

As I said, maybe my thoughts on how IU fans should treat an IU coach are different than yours...And I've always thought there is always some truth, at least to the comic, in a joke...

I do think that there's a certain faction around here that wants to move on to the next shiny new object, and don't mind us losing if it'll get us there faster...and that, to me is a shame...I think some believe that people like me, who root for Archie to do well and defend him, are hobbling the program by somehow holding us back from what they see as a necessary coaching change...

I see it differently...I see a coach that is extremely driven...a coach that knows basketball...a coach that is creating a family based atmosphere for the players who know he has their back...a coach who is creating the kind of program we want...Contending for B1G titles and deep tournament pushes on a regular basis...In fact, I think it's the faction I mentioned above that will fly this thing into the ground if they have their way...Yeah, keep changing coaches...That's the ticket...We'll just be in for 20 more years of turmoil...

Some people were exulting Porkchop yesterday...I hate to tell them this, but Porkchop would have never had a chance to succeed if Purdue hadn't given him a long leash...The 2013 and 2014 seasons would have had him looking for a job if he was at IU...

And it's not that I mind honest debate about it...But when people bring up things like "Purdue is eating our lunch in recruiting" and you show them that IU has brought in better classes (according to recruiting services) every year but 2021 in Archie's tenure for the 100th time it gets old...

People forget...OUR Ayo is in the NBA playing for Boston...we've endured the injuries to Jerome, Race, Rob, and Joey...Yet we've never finished sub .500 overall, and have been very competitive in most games in the toughest conference in the country...

Our day is coming...

Archived