Minnesota Post-Game Thread

KDB

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

We saw a glimpse of our defense leading to offense. The two transition 3s from Armaan and Al were beautiful to watch. 

Seems we always say we'd like to get out into transition more, but for some reason, don't...

Easy offense that way...

Yes, there was a stretch there from about the 9-10 minute mark in the second half to about the 3 minute mark that was a blueprint for how we should play.  If I were the coaching staff, I would really dial in to that part of the game to show the guys "this is what we should look like".

Also, I know Miller does not like to change things up much, but for some early offensive punch, I'd reall consider inserting Hunter into the lineup instead of Race.  I think to start the game early that it gives more room for Trayce to move in the post (so he isn't putting shots up at the rim with 2 or 3 guys hanging around him...which leads to those early misses IMO) and it puts our 3 best shooters on the floor along with our best defensive guard.  We had that lineup for at least part of the time when we went on that run.  I would like to see more of it.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Al needs some credit. He seems to lack some game awareness at times(see end of first half shot clock violation), but he has been hitting shots and FTs, especially that nice off-hand bank shot.  We won a game against a hungry and focused team who, frankly, made a great number of extremely tough, well-defended shots. Lastly, Rob needs to drive the ball more. He is pretty good going to the rim.

Relief is just a win away.  Starting out of the blocks Phin was quicker initiating the offense. The give and go was a staple early tonight.  Really fed TJD.  And he hustled all game.  Phin took advantage of the game and scored.  Others assisted TJD.  Hunter, Durham, Franklin were all more than decent on offense.  

Good shot selection.  Finished shots well.  But those turnovers and their guards getting a quick step and inside on IU's defense were almost fatal.   

Defense finally stopped Minny at the finish.  And IU's 2nd half offense was much improved.

Keep the energy up.  Hunter really is helping with that.  Liked the start.  And really loved the win.

IU has to stop those turnovers.  IU has go initiate the offense early each possession.  IU has to defend that guard penetration.  IU has to get assists.   

IU is in the NCAAT.  Book it.   Beat MSU, Michigan, Purdue...set em up and knock em down!

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

We saw a glimpse of our defense leading to offense. The two transition 3s from Armaan and Al were beautiful to watch. 

Seems we always say we'd like to get out into transition more, but for some reason, don't...

Easy offense that way...

As a proponent of putting up more transition 3’s I loved that. There was also an open mid range jumper put up in transition (forgot by who), which was missed but we got the rebound because the defense was not set. 

We need to shoot more and open things up. Plus, many of our turnovers were from trying to force the ball into a place it would not fit. It doesn’t fit because defenses are packing the lane: double teams come quickly and they are crowding the passing lanes. I’m no coach and I still want to play inside out for the most part, but I’d like to see more plays run for shooters. I’ll take 5 missed shots over 5 turnovers. 

3 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

As a proponent of putting up more transition 3’s I loved that. There was also an open mid range jumper put up in transition (forgot by who), which was missed but we got the rebound because the defense was not set. 

We need to shoot more and open things up. Plus, many of our turnovers were from trying to force the ball into a place it would not fit. It doesn’t fit because defenses are packing the lane: double teams come quickly and they are crowding the passing lanes. I’m no coach and I still want to play inside out for the most part, but I’d like to see more plays run for shooters. I’ll take 5 missed shots over 5 turnovers. 

That's one thing about all three of our guards...How many times this year have you seen one of them go to the hoop and kick it out for a 3? Not very many by my recollection...

And I know I hear Archie all the time talking about transition offense, so I know it's something he stresses to them...

A W is a W is a W. The TOs are an obvious concern, but we're also talking about a young team that is nearing the end of a difficult season, so I'm guessing they're getting a bit tired mentally and getting sloppy because of that. I'm not sure how you fix that, especially with the potential of having to make up a couple of games, and then the rapid succession of games in the tournament(s). It's not going to get easier.

Knocking down shots should help with the confidence, and it looks like CAM sitting JH down may have lit a bit of a fire in him. Kids make mistakes, and it's how you handle those mistakes that is important. It's early, but you have to like this response by Jerome to this point. With the quick release and his size on the perimeter, he can pretty much get his shot off from distance any time he wants, so keep knocking them down.

Finally, love the kid, but Race, if you miss two straight FTs short in the exact same way, the next FT should bank off the window, not be short yet again. Sheesh. Never up, never in, doncha know.

On to the next ...

And I think Khristian has taken a little bit of a step back...Seemed like before the Ohio State game he was concentrating on running the offense and playing defense...

OSU and Minny he seemed to be wanting to shoot it more...

Take it easy kid...Just run the team and stay with your man...it'll come together...

Very encouraged though by the pic of Khristian, Anthony, and especially the guy who'd played 34 minutes in the game just out there rebounding for a teammate...You have to love that...

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That's one thing about all three of our guards...How many times this year have you seen one of them go to the hoop and kick it out for a 3? Not very many by my recollection...

And I know I hear Archie all the time talking about transition offense, so I know it's something he stresses to them...

Most of the time they don’t even have room to kick it out. Rob seems to be smarter about when to take his drives and when not to, but sometimes I’m wondering what Al and Armaan are thinking and/or seeing. They literally drive it into a huddle of defenders. I’m sorry, but you aren’t going to any type of foul call when you do that.

1 hour ago, Feathery said:

To me this game and MSU are must wins. Glad the offense seems to be picking up and at a good time. 

was there an announcement of a new channel for game threads? I never go to the home page. I have the general basketball forum and recruiting forum bookmarked specifically to bypass the homepage. Lol. 

Ya got to pay attention mon ami.

giphy.gif

Get this win Saturday and IU will have completed exactly what a few of us wanted/suggested would happen before the Iowa game. Win 4 of 5. Back to .500 in conference play and building some momentum for final stretch. 

Not much else to offer on game that hasn't been said. I was surprised on Leal not playing and maybe I've got to watch it slower but what exactly is Rob doing on defense to be the target of officials? I feel like every game he's being signaled out.

28 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Get this win Saturday and IU will have completed exactly what a few of us wanted/suggested would happen before the Iowa game. Win 4 of 5. Back to .500 in conference play and building some momentum for final stretch. 

Not much else to offer on game that hasn't been said. I was surprised on Leal not playing and maybe I've got to watch it slower but what exactly is Rob doing on defense to be the target of officials? I feel like every game he's being signaled out.

The only reason I could think of why Anthony didn't get in the game was Archie didn't think he could stay in front of the quick Minnesota kids...

Of course, he wouldn't have been alone...Our guys had trouble staying in front of them all night...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

The only reason I could think of why Anthony didn't get in the game was Archie didn't think he could stay in front of the quick Minnesota kids...

Of course, he wouldn't have been alone...Our guys had trouble staying in front of the all night...

About that.  I heard the analyst say that Minn. guards usually shoot threes, so perhaps they went against the scouting report. However I have a serious question. I never played organized ball, but i'm 63 years old and i've played church league and pick-up basketball for over 40 years. I try never to let the guy i'm guarding go to the hoop off his strong hand. Is that taught by coaches ? It seemed to me that the biggest change defensively in the second half was that we finally tried to take away the strong hand drive.

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Of course, he wouldn't have been alone...Our guys had trouble staying in front of the all night...

Sounds right to me. I'm going to have to watch again but thinking about this morning. Minnesota has some quick guards and I think I honestly underrated them as a whole.

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Good/great coaches play the match-up game.  

7 minutes ago, rico said:

Good/great coaches play the match-up game.  

I thought we actually won the biggest matchup...Rob on Carr...Carr had 16, but he shot 7-16 to get there...and some of his makes were ridiculously hard shots...Mashburn made 3 or 4 medium range shots when our defense couldn't have been much better...

I said in the pre game that both Tre Williams and Mashburn could play...Had they kept going to the hoop, it might have been a much different outcome, because Al and Armaan (who I think still isn't 100% on the ankle) couldn't stay in front of them...we opened up our lead when they got 3 happy...

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I am going by people who have went through the mock selection process in Indy.  They said they never one time mentioned what conference a team is in

Not sure how this is true since they also say they try to avoid conference match ups before iirc the sweet 16.  So in order to create a bracket that avoids those match ups it would literally be impossible not to mention conference affiliation.  

I'm not saying they didn't say this.  Can't remember who it was that came out detailing the experience, but it was a mock and they must have forgotten that one little rule.  

25 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Sounds right to me. I'm going to have to watch again but thinking about this morning. Minnesota has some quick guards and I think I honestly underrated them as a whole.

Correction.  We, this board and IU fans and many across the nation give little Ricky no respect.  However, they were ranked around 15 like 4 weeks ago so it's not like they are totally disrespected and underrated.  

7 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Not sure how this is true since they also say they try to avoid conference match ups before iirc the sweet 16.  So in order to create a bracket that avoids those match ups it would literally be impossible not to mention conference affiliation.  

I'm not saying they didn't say this.  Can't remember who it was that came out detailing the experience, but it was a mock and they must have forgotten that one little rule.  

That’s for seeding and matchup purposes, not for actual selection of the teams. The committee does not consider conference record or affiliation when selecting teams for the tournament. We feel better when IU finishes higher in the big ten standings, but besides the strength of the actual wins of those games, the big ten record literally does not matter one bit. 

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

Correction.  We, this board and IU fans and many across the nation give little Ricky no respect.  However, they were ranked around 15 like 4 weeks ago so it's not like they are totally disrespected and underrated.  

Lil Ricky is doing fine for Minnehaha.

Archived