Jump to content

Michigan State Second Meeting Pre Game Thread


IUFLA
 Share

Recommended Posts

When: Tuesday, March 2nd 8 PM EST BTN

Where: Breslin Center, East Lansing MI

Not going to repost the Roster/Stats, just some comments...

The Spartans have been starting Gabe Brown, Aaron Henry, Joshua Langford, Rocket Watts, and Julius Marble the last 3 games.

They were on a roll winning 3 straight, until yesterday against Maryland...The Terps held Henry and Langford to 7-29 from the field, and 2-12 from 3. The thing the Terps have that we don't is a bevy of 6'5 to 6'7 guys who are long and can defend. Morsell, Ayala, Hart, and Wiggins were all effective shutting down the Spartans 2 best players.

In out last game, we were poor in transition defense and MSU took advantage. Need to step up there...

Need to go into Trayce a lot and hope he starts and finishes strong...They don't have a real big guy, save Marcus Bingham who's 6'11 but skinny, so he should get good looks...

Taking from what Archie said in the Michigan post game, Jerome will start at the 3 again...I think he likes Jerome's fight and attitude lately...The rift between Jerome, Al, and Archie wasn't a big deal, but you notice that Jerome did start the next game, and played a season high 26 minutes...

We can win this, but we HAVE to control Henry...they go as he goes...I'm guessing Jerome gets that assignment as Rob is too short, and Al is not strong enough to handle him...

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

Last two games will not be pretty for us. We just don't have enough of what it takes. I truly believe Archie has lost this team and they just want to season to end. 

This season reminds me of the last couple of IU teams under RMK where it appeared they were ready for the season to be over.  The second half at Rutgers just showed that they pretty  much gave up when Rutgers went on that run and did not fight at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

What makes you think that?

Look how they play and how there is absolutely no excitement and enthusiasm. They quit in the 2nd half at Rutgers. 

I think the team is tired of the losing and dealing with Archie. 

Just my opinion but the results and immediate future don't lie.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

This season reminds me of the last couple of IU teams under RMK where it appeared they were ready for the season to be over.  The second half at Rutgers just showed that they pretty  much gave up when Rutgers went on that run and did not fight at all.

For the most part they are not fun to watch. Yes I root for them and I want them to play well and to win. I will always root for them but accepting what we are and knowing we are a mediocre program makes it a little easier. I sure miss the good ole days. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Look how they play and how there is absolutely no excitement and enthusiasm. They quit in the 2nd half at Rutgers. 

I think the team is tired of the losing and dealing with Archie. 

Just my opinion but the results and immediate future don't lie.

I DO look at how they play...I usually watch every game live, and then watch a reply (DVR or BTN's B1G in 60)...

And I really, truly don't see this lack of excitement and enthusiasm...I see a team that plays hard for the most part, and they root for each other...

Ah, well...I guess we just see things differently...and that's ok...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, IUFLA said:

I DO look at how they play...I usually watch every game live, and then watch a reply (DVR or BTN's B1G in 60)...

And I really, truly don't see this lack of excitement and enthusiasm...I see a team that plays hard for the most part, and they root for each other...

Ah, well...I guess we just see things differently...and that's ok...

Very true. I try and watch every game but it isn't a priority like it used to be. Heck, when I first got married my then wife stripped and stood in front of the television when the Hoosiers were on. I told her to move her you know what from out in front of the television. Trust me that did not go over well! LOL

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Very true. I try and watch every game but it isn't a priority like it used to be. Heck, when I first got married my then wife stripped and stood in front of the television when the Hoosiers were on. I told her to move her you know what from out in front of the television. Trust me that did not go over well! LOL

But I would kindly ask that the Fire Archie stuff not get brought into the pre/post/game threads...This is what I came to this site for...to discuss basketball, games, matchups, ect...

I think I know where everyone stands on Archie Miller...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally if I were Coach I'd like to see if we could force the pace with them. Sparty ran out of gas yesterday. I'm not talking just forcing the pace off the rebound and transition into our offense....if we have any full court or 3/4 quart press packages I'd like to see us bring that. We have 8-9 kids who can play. Force the pace and make them run out of gas. 

I liked what I saw when Howard did that to us just to give us different looks. I'd say we try.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Find a way to win the next two and we are in. Can we do it?  I have my doubts but that won’t make me cheer any less hard for it to happen. MSU will be coming off of one day rest so try to run them up and down the floor and wear them out. 

I think we need 3 more wins to get in. Even if we win these two but lose in the first round of the BTT we will be 14-13

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think we need 3 more wins to get in. Even if we win these two but lose in the first round of the BTT we will be 14-13

I think this year might be different that others so if IU manages to get to 0.500 or better they'll barely make the NCAAT. Strength of schedule from playing a higher percentage of their games in the toughest conference (by far) will help them. I'm pretty sure I saw a member of the committee say that when they look at teams' records they'd take into account playing less games OOC and how that could reflect on their overall record. 

To do that they just need to win 2 or 3 more games this season. 2 if they win at least 1 of the next 2 games or 3 games in the BTT if they go 0-2. I don't think they'll win 1 more game this season much less 2 so it's probably moot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

I think this year might be different that others so if IU manages to get to 0.500 or better they'll barely make the NCAAT. Strength of schedule from playing a higher percentage of their games in the toughest conference (by far) will help them. I'm pretty sure I saw a member of the committee say that when they look at teams' records they'd take into account playing less games OOC and how that could reflect on their overall record. 

To do that they just need to win 2 or 3 more games this season. 2 if they win at least 1 of the next 2 games or 3 games in the BTT if they go 0-2. I don't think they'll win 1 more game this season much less 2 so it's probably moot. 

The thing about this argument is that I don't see us winning either of the next two.games.  The only way I see us winning a game in the BTT is if we get in the bottom 4 and play Neb.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The thing about this argument is that I don't see us winning either of the next two.games.  The only way I see us winning a game in the BTT is if we get in the bottom 4 and play Neb.

I agree with that and even said so. I disagree with your statement that IU doesn't get in at 14-13. I think they would.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

I agree with that and even said so. I disagree with your statement that IU doesn't get in at 14-13. 

It might be different this year but no team has ever gotten an at large bid with being just 1 game over .500.  Also I think a team like Belmont or Loyola Chicago deserves to go if they don't win their conference tournament.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I watched Sparty get beat by the Terps.  MSU wanted to run/get out on transition.  Maryland did not let them do that.  MSU also settled for threes, which they don't shoot well.  If we can do what the Turtles did, we have a puncher's chance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...