Sheridan Fired (Hired by Washington)

DC2345

Cramsey from Marshall and then Kittley from W KY are the two guys that intrigue me the most from your list.

Some have argued that Allen wants a run oriented offense.  I don't buy it.  He might want balance, but I think he will want to spread the field horizontally and vertically and pressure the defense to have to worry about every inch of the field.  Then you can run effectively out of those sets.

We have not had the offensive lines you need to run a base, run oriented offense, and Allen knows it.

• Like 2

On 12/1/2021 at 3:51 PM, Seeking6 said:

Talked to a player's Father today. Besides some stuff on Sheridan dating back to middle of last year and this entire season he made a good point about what IU needs for new OC.

Thanks for the info…
Was it just the father having doubts about Sheridan the season previous to this one or did he indicate the players also had their doubts?

Any mention of Hiller?

• Like 1

On 12/1/2021 at 5:54 PM, OGIUAndy said:

Seems to me Penix shouldn't have been playing at all for a while and is something I have discussed with others. He was bad from the get go and didn't look mentally or physically ready. 

Agree.

It was unfair to Penix to be trotted out for the Iowa game as I can’t imagine that he looked ready in practice. From the get go he did not look comfortable, looked scared to get hit (can’t blame him after all the injuries he has suffered), was not mobile, was throwing off his back foot, etc etc. It will be interesting to see what his future plans entail. I would think he has come to the realization (but who knows) that the NFL is not in his future which could impact his decision regarding what he does this upcoming season. Wish him the best in the future, and feel bad for him that he is injury prone, as he seemingly has been nothing but an all around positive for the program and a good kid.

Edited by IU878176
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Agree.

It was unfair to Penix to be trotted out for the Iowa game as I can’t imagine that he looked ready in practice. From the get go he did not look comfortable, looked scared to get hit (can’t blame him after all the injuries he has suffered), was not mobile, was throwing off his back foot, etc etc. It will be interesting to see what his future plans entail. I would think he has come to the realization (but who knows) that the NFL is not in his future which could impact his decision regarding what he does this upcoming season. Wish him the best in the future, and feel bad for him that he is injury prone, as he seemingly has been nothing but an all around positive for the program and a good kid.

Like a lot of talented players, he just can't stay healthy. 

3 hours ago, IU878176 said:

Thanks for the info…
Was it just the father having doubts about Sheridan the season previous to this one or did he indicate the players also had their doubts?

Any mention of Hiller?

Both on first part but there was enough leftover from previous OC that it was hidden most of the year. He had positive things to say about Hiller....said sometimes a line coach is hamstrung by the OC. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Both on first part but there was enough leftover from previous OC that it was hidden most of the year. He had positive things to say about Hiller....said sometimes a line coach is hamstrung by the OC. 

Interesting. Now this sounds like some good "insider" information. I know everyone is calling for Hiller's head, but to me it's the OC's job to make the necessary adjustments. If the line coach isn't listening to what he's being told or players are not buying in (they have exit meetings with players I assume), then I would get it. Now there's also recruiting. Is Hiller a good enough recruiter? He's a good talent evaluator? But the offensive game plans have been all over the place if you ask me. An o-line needs an identity and needs to know who is going to be playing. Jason Peters of the Bears comment about Dalton vs Fields vs Foles is a good example of how lineman have to play differently based on the QBs you have: https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/if-bears-start-justin-fields-jason-peters-knows-how-adjust hence why it's important to have similar style QBs or at least an idea of how to adjust for each of them. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Interesting. Now this sounds like some good "insider" information. I know everyone is calling for Hiller's head, but to me it's the OC's job to make the necessary adjustments. If the line coach isn't listening to what he's being told or players are not buying in (they have exit meetings with players I assume), then I would get it. Now there's also recruiting. Is Hiller a good enough recruiter? He's a good talent evaluator? But the offensive game plans have been all over the place if you ask me. An o-line needs an identity and needs to know who is going to be playing. Jason Peters of the Bears comment about Dalton vs Fields vs Foles is a good example of how lineman have to play differently based on the QBs you have: https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/if-bears-start-justin-fields-jason-peters-knows-how-adjust hence why it's important to have similar style QBs or at least an idea of how to adjust for each of them. 

I'm definitely not an insider but thought the points this players Dad were good for here. He said some other stuff but don't feel it would be good to put out. 

Just glad we moved on from Sheridan and really curious which direction we go from here. 

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm definitely not an insider but thought the points this players Dad were good for here. He said some other stuff but don't feel it would be good to put out. 

Just glad we moved on from Sheridan and really curious which direction we go from here. 

Yeah, I think we saw enough to know it wasn't working. Seems to me a good one turns things around pretty quickly (DeBoer). There seems to be a lot of interesting candidates, so I think we'll get a good one. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • KDB changed the title to Sheridan Fired (Hired by Washington)
11 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

DeBoer + Sheridan + Penix = ???  

That was my first thought....but man Washington is quite a bit away for the family. On a side note the tailgate scene at Washington is awesome. Stadium is on Lake Washington....many tailgate on boats and when ready a water taxi will pick you up and drop you off. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

If such a miracle could occur, an Indiana vs Washington Rose Bowl would be interesting. 

An Indiana vs anyone Rose Bowl would be interesting, but this would just be icing on the cake. 

Rose Bowl would be a CFP Bowl next year wouldn’t it? Setting our sights high! 

Edited by IndyHoosier22

6 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

Glad to get another great class,but the proof is on the field! Can we really turn this completely around from last year! How does Hiller not loss his job? 

Michigan and Michigan State were awful last year as well and the portal helped totally flip both those teams this year. I know both programs have been consistently and historically better than IU, but the same kind of turnaround can happen to us…