Jump to content

Trendon Watford Commits to LSU


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think you are right on the timing, and that is a fair argument.  But, I still feel there is some hometown judgement in play here.

If there was true homerism, people would be bashing Alabama and Memphis as well. Aside from a few questions about Penny's ability to gameplan, I don't see that here.  I'm on record saying that LSU is the choice I'd LEAST understand given what's in the public domain about their coach and the very real chance the school gets punished at some point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I received a text yesterday from a number I did not recognized and asked if I wanted to talk Indiana basketball recruiting? Of course I said yes and expected it to be a member of HSN. I received a cal

Looks like Trendon will be taking a visit to IU. Evidently in a interview with Christian on Peegs. Christian could be there too. 

Heck, he inherited a roster that performed poorly the previous season and then lost it's 3 best players.  Add in being too late in the '17 recruiting class to bring in players he prefers and ending up

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm comparing Wade to Sampson.  Sampson had a cloud over his head from Oklahoma.  He had recruited, or was recruiting, a roster full of undesirables around Gordon.  yet, the Gordons ultimately still decided on IU.  In hindsight, that was probably a mistake.  But, we IU fans don't hold that against the Gordons. or even imply that they made a bad choice.  Why?  what is different about LSU under Wade, or IU under Sampson?

Could you explain why "In hindsight, that was probably a mistake"?  Not sure I understand?  Gordon stayed one year and has had a decent nba career?  How was coming to IU a mistake?  Not being a smartass here...okay?  I think I'm missing your point is why I ask.  

Edited by jv1972iu
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

go avg 18 a game a be one and done.  18 a game isn't happening anywhere else besides maybe bama. 

He should go to Trine University in Angola, Indiana.  He'd average 40.

In all seriousness, I'm surprised this doesn't ever happen.  Go to a tiny school where the coach will let you lead the country in scoring.  Easy jump to the NBA.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'll be honest here guys.  I think the real difference is that IU was on the winning side of things with Gordon, but we may be on the losing side of things with Watford.  

The situations aren’t even remotely comparable. Like, not at all similar in any way. It wasn’t universally known that the team had a lot of drugs going on when Gordon committed. It wasn’t universally known that Sampsoncwas making too many phone call. 

Will Wade is literally in the midst of a federal investigation and is on wiretaps discussing paying $300K for a player. LSU and the NCAA haven’t even begun their investigation into it because the feds aren’t done yet. It’s all universally known by the general public, and there’s a real chance Wade won’t be there in October and the school could be sanctioned. 

This isn’t me mad he probably won’t choose IU, I’d love to have him but I actually don’t think it’s a great fit, I’m just saying it’s a bad look right now for any kid, especially a 5*, to commit to LSU right now. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

He should go to Trine University in Angola, Indiana.  He'd average 40.

In all seriousness, I'm surprised this doesn't ever happen.  Go to a tiny school where the coach will let you lead the country in scoring.  Easy jump to the NBA.

Probably because performance would be discounted for lack of competition. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s the problem. The NCAA does not care if players are paid. They don’t care about any cheating that goes on. They want to collect the money and move on. It’s up to the individual school and the heads of the school to have the ethics in place. IU turned themselves in. Had they not, it wouldn’t have been more than a slap on the wrist and maybe a couple game suspension for Sampson. These other schools just have the coach plead ignorance or deny any wrongdoing and the school simply says “nothing to see here” and the NCAA has no reason to look into it (they don’t want to look into it)

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Probably because performance would be discounted for lack of competition. 

Yeah, but he'd always have that awesome sweatshirt that says "Trine Thunder."  He'd lead the NBA in coolness.    😀 😀 😀

s-l300.jpg

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ib4IU said:

Here’s the problem. The NCAA does not care if players are paid. They don’t care about any cheating that goes on. They want to collect the money and move on. It’s up to the individual school and the heads of the school to have the ethics in place. IU turned themselves in. Had they not, it wouldn’t have been more than a slap on the wrist and maybe a couple game suspension for Sampson. These other schools just have the coach plead ignorance or deny any wrongdoing and the school simply says “nothing to see here” and the NCAA has no reason to look into it (they don’t want to look into it)

I guess my big point on all of this isn’t really about sanctions, probation, Wade getting fired or not, it’s simply that if you commit to LSU right now with all of this going on, which really is unprecedented, then you are willfully opening yourself up to any criticism that comes your way.

People are going to accuse them of being on the take, but in this case you can’t really complain about any accusations. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

In terms of Bruce Weber.  Though while at Illinois.... I did not think much of BAM. Proven by his firing.  Yet... I never suspected of him as being corrupt. Evidence by his unwillingness to break through the corruption that permeated the Chicago Public School System while he was the coach at U of I. 

To BAM's credit... I applaud him for turning things around at Kansas State.  clap, clap, clap.  Never thought you could do it.... but I have no issue in your proving me wrong.

That was the funny part. Once Bruce realized his errors he tried to play the game and get Jereme Richmond. Little did Bubble Bruce know that one recruit was his undoing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Madison22 said:

He should go to Trine University in Angola, Indiana.  He'd average 40.

In all seriousness, I'm surprised this doesn't ever happen.  Go to a tiny school where the coach will let you lead the country in scoring.  Easy jump to the NBA.

like Steph Curry?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, macomb hoosier said:

like Steph Curry?

Ha!  Exactly!  Davidson College.  Enrollment 1,791.

15 points and 13 turnovers in his first college game.

32 points 9 rebounds vs Michigan in his second game.

Nice learning curve, Steph.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I think you are right on the timing, and that is a fair argument.  But, I still feel there is some hometown judgement in play here.

Probably a little hometown bias, but here's a line: Sampson broke a relatively minor NCAA rule,and at the time he was recruiting Gordon at Indiana, the OU stuff had been adjudicated for lack of a better term. Yes, he was committing the same violations, but a) that hadn't come to light yet, and b) it's not an actual crime. Wade is under active investigation for potential federal fraud charges. That's a huge difference. Like NCAA sanctions vs prison different.

Also, the huge shift in team culture came DURING Eric's year. The year before, relatively calm, and it obviously  wasn't bad enough to dissuade Gordon from switching. The "new blood" brought in was Ellis, McGee, Holman and Thomas. They wouldn't have been on campus for Gordon's visits.

Not trying to absolve Bassett of anything, but you wonder if he turns out better if he doesn't get mixed up in that bunch. (Aside: Personal opinion, but Ellis ranks up there with Ryan Leaf in terms of the most collosal wastes of physical talent that couldn't get his head screwed on straight. Kid could play.)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That was the funny part. Once Bruce realized his errors he tried to play the game and get Jereme Richmond. Little did Bubble Bruce know that one recruit was his undoing. 

Richmond, Ellis, Holman, Alex Legion (remember him)....

Between the two of us, we certainly had the market cornered on knuckleheads/head cases during that stretch.

Edited by Zlinedavid
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Indykev said:

Rabjohns in an interview yesterday said," I would just stop paying attention to Watford, he isnt going to IU". He also said LQ to Memphis but gave IU a 40% chance.

We'd never know what a teenager would do the next day, but I think this is the reality without crimson colored glasses. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Indykev said:

Rabjohns in an interview yesterday said," I would just stop paying attention to Watford, he isnt going to IU". He also said LQ to Memphis but gave IU a 40% chance.

Makes me ill that we are even in the same conversation as Memphis, let alone trailing them for a recruit (if the above is true).

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CTrojan88 said:

Makes me ill that we are even in the same conversation as Memphis, let alone trailing them for a recruit (if the above is true).

Unfortunately, Memphis is a trendy place for the time being. All any of these recruits care about today is... “how can you help me get to the league?” So, coaches like Penny are going to get a pass due in large part to their past success in the NBA. I wouldn’t call Penny a fly by night coach, but he certainly hasn’t proven to be a good coach, let alone one that can help develop an already talented kid into a legitimate star. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

Unfortunately, Memphis is a trendy place for the time being. All any of these recruits care about today is... “how can you help me get to the league?” So, coaches like Penny are going to get a pass due in large part to their past success in the NBA. I wouldn’t call Penny a fly by night coach, but he certainly hasn’t proven to be a good coach, let alone one that can help develop an already talented kid into a legitimate star. 

It might be trendy to kids but I’ve been through there a couple times and unless you love Country Music and or BBQ I wouldn’t want to live there. 😬🤮

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Penny will get his chance to prove if he can coach the talent he's recruiting.   As of now, he's very much an unknown commodity in that respect and I have my doubts as NBA stars more often than not don't make good coaches. A lot of young talent taking a flyer on Penny being able to coach and develop them...should be interesting to watch.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

It might be trendy to kids but I’ve been through there a couple times and unless you love Country Music and or BBQ I wouldn’t want to live there. 😬🤮

I happen to like both, but Memphis isn’t an ideal place for me either.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe Crean was right to not recruit this one out of the gate? As strange as I always thought it was for Crean to never recruit Trendon,etc...earlier......I find it more strange for anyone to choose LSU right now. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just dont understand this one either.  LSU makes no sense.  Memphis?...Man, I wish Trendon the best but I think hes making a huge mistake given the chips on the table.  IU fills up the Hall during .500 seasons against Northwestern.  Any type of winning momentum next year and IU starts to be talked about nationally on a regular basis.  He could be part of all that and even be one of the leaders as early as next year.  I just dont get it. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CTrojan88 said:

Makes me ill that we are even in the same conversation as Memphis, let alone trailing them for a recruit (if the above is true).

2 former NBA stars and Sam Mitchell, former NBA coach sitting in your living room telling a kid we can get you to the NBA. Whats not to like. It will take a couple of years for them to figure out he cant coach.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • KDB changed the title to Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...