2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

We may have had this story in the thread earlier.  But, I saw it again today and though to myself "this has to be Scott's all-time favorite pitcher.

https://www.mlb.com/news/ray-caldwell-struck-by-lightning-while-pitching

Franklin Lewis, author of a history of the Indians, saw it differently. "A bolt came hurtling from the sky and smashed into the ground near the pitcher's mound," he wrote. "A direct hit would have killed any mortal. Caldwell was struck, a glancing blow fortunately. He was flattened and knocked unconscious for five minutes."

Whatever happened, exactly, it's clear that Caldwell got the brunt of it. As he "lay stretched out in the pitcher's box," according to The Sporting News, his own teammates feared he might be dead. But, after about five minutes of extremely justifiable panic, he came to.

Caldwell didn't come out of the game to recover from the shock or seek medical attention, though. No. He had business to attend to -- namely getting Dugan out and ending the game. And that's just what he did, quickly inducing a ground ball to third base.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

We may have had this story in the thread earlier.  But, I saw it again today and though to myself "this has to be Scott's all-time favorite pitcher.

https://www.mlb.com/news/ray-caldwell-struck-by-lightning-while-pitching

Franklin Lewis, author of a history of the Indians, saw it differently. "A bolt came hurtling from the sky and smashed into the ground near the pitcher's mound," he wrote. "A direct hit would have killed any mortal. Caldwell was struck, a glancing blow fortunately. He was flattened and knocked unconscious for five minutes."

Whatever happened, exactly, it's clear that Caldwell got the brunt of it. As he "lay stretched out in the pitcher's box," according to The Sporting News, his own teammates feared he might be dead. But, after about five minutes of extremely justifiable panic, he came to.

Caldwell didn't come out of the game to recover from the shock or seek medical attention, though. No. He had business to attend to -- namely getting Dugan out and ending the game. And that's just what he did, quickly inducing a ground ball to third base.

Just rub some dirt on it

6 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Anyone else feel as apathetic about the All-Star game as I do?

Used to be must see viewing. I can’t remember the last time I watched even an inning 

Had no clue it was viewed as much see TV. I've never watched any of the three major All Star games..

I do like a good 3pt contest, home run derby, dunk contest though! 

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

Had no clue it was viewed as much see TV. I've never watched any of the three major All Star games..

I do like a good 3pt contest, home run derby, dunk contest though! 

Interleague play took some luster off the MLB All-Star game.  But, it never has been the farce that the NFL NBA, and NHL games are.  I still make time to watch it every year.  Last night's game was one of the more enjoyable ones in the last 15-20 years.  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, rico said:

A-Rod and Ortiz do nothing for my viewing pleasure.

They are horrid.  My wife, who does not really watch baseball, commented on why Fox employed such bad announcers.  She knows of Arod from stuff outside baseball, but had no idea who Ortiz was.  

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

They are horrid.  My wife, who does not really watch baseball, commented on why Fox employed such bad announcers.  She knows of Arod from stuff outside baseball, but had no idea who Ortiz was.  

Yeah.  That pregame show was putrid.

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

2 hours ago, rico said:

Yeah.  That pregame show was putrid.

I agree, both were vapid 😁

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, btownqb said:

🤣🤣🤣

The game could benefit from some more Ichiro and Tony Gwynn type players.

On that note, I'm rooting for Arraez from Miami to keep that average up around .380.  Hitting .400 is probably unrealistic, but if he can be .370 or above, it could be the trigger that helps us get more players with that approach.

Still no score through 6 innings. Burns has 13K'S and the Reds only has 2 hits.  It is obvious our offense struggles against Milwaukee pitching.  I am disappointed in the lack of aggressiveness by the Reds on the base paths. Milwaukee catcher is one of the worst throwing catchers and the time we got some speed on the bases we did nothing