NCAAF/National Scene

rico

Alabama isn’t some juggernaut that lost a game on a fluke play. They were thoroughly outplayed by Texas at home, and had played really poorly recently vs a mediocre Auburn team. If the argument was best 4 teams regardless of results, Georgia should’ve been in over Alabama. I’d be furious if I were a FSU fan.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Kdug said:

Alabama isn’t some juggernaut that lost a game on a fluke play. They were thoroughly outplayed by Texas at home, and had played really poorly recently vs a mediocre Auburn team. If the argument was best 4 teams regardless of results, Georgia should’ve been in over Alabama. I’d be furious if I were a FSU fan.

Not to mention Ohio State not even being in the conversation??? And I seriously dislike Ryan Day!

14 minutes ago, Kdug said:

Not to mention only beating USF by 14, Arkansas by 4, and A&M by 6.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

The power of Disney/ESPN on full display. Just talked with a bunch of Bama fans, and they are pleasantly surprised and know FSU deserved it. Really hope Michigan drills them!

All I can do is shake my head, feel sorry for the Noles, and hope Michigan kicks the spit out of Bama.

• Like 3

I thought the committee got it right…no way FSU is beating anybody in the top 7 with that QB…I hate it for em but that’s reality..now if their back up looked serviceable then ya include them but they look horrible on offense…and their strength of schedule is in the 50’s…i thought Ohio state was more deserving than them considering they lost 1 game on the ROAD to the number 1 team in nation…and I would put Georgia in over them as well…if they matched up against any of those teams they would be 10-15 point underdogs. Its about getting the BEST teams in 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5 championships said:

I thought the committee got it right…no way FSU is beating anybody in the top 7 with that QB…I hate it for em but that’s reality..now if their back up looked serviceable then ya include them but they look horrible on offense…and their strength of schedule is in the 50’s…i thought Ohio state was more deserving than them considering they lost 1 game on the ROAD to the number 1 team in nation…and I would put Georgia in over them as well…if they matched up against any of those teams they would be 10-15 point underdogs. Its about getting the BEST teams in 

So the move for Florida St should have been instead of winning all their games, instead of scheduling 2 non conference games vs P5 schools and winning....what they should have done is say Jordan Travis is hurt but will be back by January 1st? Joking aside.

Just now, 5 championships said:

If we’re doing “best teams” regardless of results, Washington, Texas, and Alabama shouldn’t be in. SP+ has Michigan #1, Georgia #2, Ohio State #3, and Penn State #4. FPI has Michigan #1, Ohio State #2, Penn State #3, and Oregon #4. Washington in particular isn’t top 10 in either metric, and is most certainly not one of the 4 best teams.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

So the move for Florida St should have been instead of winning all their games, instead of scheduling 2 non conference games vs P5 schools and winning....what they should have done is say Jordan Travis is hurt but will be back by January 1st? Joking aside.

If Jordan Travis injury wasn’t season ending and he legitimately was coming back you put then in…the are undoubtedly one the top 4 teams with him…QB is the most important position in all of sports…it sucks for Florida state but it’s reality..there are 6-7 teams that’s can win it all this year as well..fortunately and unfortunately the 12 teams playoff starts next year 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kdug said:

If we’re doing “best teams” regardless of results, Washington, Texas, and Alabama shouldn’t be in. SP+ has Michigan #1, Georgia #2, Ohio State #3, and Penn State #4. FPI has Michigan #1, Ohio State #2, Penn State #3, and Oregon #4. Washington in particular isn’t top 10 in either metric, and is most certainly not one of the 4 best teams.

Metrics are good but they only tell you so much…it’s important to use them with other variables as well…there are 6-7 teams that legit could win it all this year..unfortunately for Florida state I don’t believe they were one of them without Jordan Travis and I think that’s been pretty clear the last two games they played have been UGLY…no way they win a game against any of those other teams 

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Or you could have your entire conference play one less conference game to decrease loses for 50% of your teams...oh wait. (SEC)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 5 championships said:

Metrics are good but they only tell you so much…it’s important to use them with other variables as well…there are 6-7 teams that legit could win it all this year..unfortunately for Florida state I don’t believe they were one of them without Jordan Travis and I think that’s been pretty clear the last two games they played have been UGLY…no way they win a game against any of those other teams 

I don’t think Washington has a great shot of winning either. They’re pretty clearly a step below the other teams imo, and had a lot of close games that went their way. But they deserve a shot because they went undefeated, same as FSU. If we’re saying the 4 best teams deserve to be in, I think Ohio State should clearly be in over Washington. I also don’t think Alabama or Texas are one of the 4 “best” teams either, but those are a bit closer.

10 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

But I could argue FSU still beat a top 15 UL team with their third QB and the #2 will be back for the bowl game.  The game the 2 played was still a win over an SEC team even if it was ugly…like Bama’s win over Auburn.

But none of this matters anymore either.

Edited by thirdgenhoosier

2 minutes ago, Kdug said:

I don’t think Washington has a great shot of winning either. They’re pretty clearly a step below the other teams imo, and had a lot of close games that went their way. But they deserve a shot because they went undefeated, same as FSU. If we’re saying the 4 best teams deserve to be in, I think Ohio State should clearly be in over Washington. I also don’t think Alabama or Texas are one of the 4 “best” teams either, but those are a bit closer.

You have a legit argument there about Washington but dang they looked impressive against Oregon. They are running the ball so much better with Johnson now and the defense is playing better…I’d give them a better shot at winning them Florida state because they still have Penix now if he was hurt and the backup QB was awful I’d say the same thing I’m saying about Florida State 

4 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

But I could argue FSU still beat a top 15 UL team with their third QB and the #2 will be back for the bowl game.  The game the 2 played was still a win over an SEC team even if it was ugly…like Bama’s win over Auburn.

But none of this matters anymore either.

I understand your point but with the original back up QB they have taken a clear step backwards 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

You have a legit argument there about Washington but dang they looked impressive against Oregon. They are running the ball so much better with Johnson now and the defense is playing better…I’d give them a better shot at winning them Florida state because they still have Penix now if he was hurt and the backup QB was awful I’d say the same thing I’m saying about Florida State 

They haven’t won a game by more than 10 points since 9/23 against Cal. That includes single digit wins against bad Stanford, Arizona State, and Washington State teams. There are at least 10 teams that are “better” than Washington, including all 3 of the top Big Ten teams.

I’m going to remember this moment going forward. The reason why is….. When ND isn’t in a conference and play 5 mac or group 5 schools a year, 5/6 “ACC” games….. Go 12-0 or 11–1 every year… Have a strength of schedule in the 40s 50s…Watch they will be give a spot over teams “with substance.” 

I guess the question now is who advances?  I really think Texas beats Washington.  I’ve watched Washington quite a few times and they haven’t been playing as well lately as they did early IMO.  I do have some concerns about the Texas defense but I’ll still go with them.  I honestly don’t know what to think about who wins the other game even though I know who I want to win.

And one thing to quickly add. I'm a Canes guy. I hate the Noles. I still remember 2000 when the Canes beat the Noles yet the computers put in Florida St so today I'm laughing at FSU. The side I'm laughing at is one part of the brain. The other knows this isn't right and what probably ticks me off most is Saban will get another chance to back his way into a title.

Go Michigan. Please.

14 minutes ago, Kdug said:

They haven’t won a game by more than 10 points since 9/23 against Cal. That includes single digit wins against bad Stanford, Arizona State, and Washington State teams. There are at least 10 teams that are “better” than Washington, including all 3 of the top Big Ten teams.

You can make a legit argument Ohio state is better not so sure about Penn state