NCAAF/National Scene

rico

I just got an alert that Chip Kelly was leaving the position of HC at UCLA to be the OC at Ohio St.  They just poached a head coach from within conference (I know it's not official until summer, but still) to be a coordinator.  Wow.  OSU doesn't screw around when it comes to winning in football.  

Edited by Parakeet Jones
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I just got an alert that Chip Kelly was leaving the position of HC at UCLA to be the OC at Ohio St.  They just poached a head coach from within conference (I know it's not official until summer, but still) to be a coordinator.  Wow.  OSU doesn't screw around when it comes to winning in football.  

Unreal.  I'm flabbergasted. 

40 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I literally just took a break and saw that and was like Lord....Ohio St is pissed. Leaving UCLA for a coordinator position. I don't care if UCLA is falling on hard times or not. It's still UCLA.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Now what will be really runny is if Mick Cronin takes Ohio St job this offseason.

Lots of thought going around that some guys are not gonna want to be head coaches in college with the NIL and transfer portal.  They say there’s no time left to be a coach.  Boston College just lost their head coach to a DC position with the Packers.  Yes, it’s the NFL, but he still took a pay cut.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

Lots of thought going around that some guys are not gonna want to be head coaches in college with the NIL and transfer portal.  They say there’s no time left to be a coach.  Boston College just lost their head coach to a DC position with the Packers.  Yes, it’s the NFL, but he still took a pay cut.

You said it.  It's the NFL.  Packers are trending up quickly.  He could be looking at a head coaching gig in 3-4 years.

2 hours ago, IUJoe said:

I doubt it was a big pay cut. Most NFL coordinators make at least a couple million a year. Factor in cost of living in Boston V Green Bay and probably a wash. 

7 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

“Over the last five years, the UCLA athletic department has posted deficits of $36.6 million (2023), $28.0 million (2022), $62.5 million (2021), $21.7 million (2020) and $18.9 million (2019). Desperate for a lifeline, it jumped to the financial higher ground of the Midwest, where the Big Ten promised massive $60-$70 million annual payouts.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/chip-kelly-taking-a-demotion-to-get-out-of-ucla-is-a-gut-punch-for-the-bruins-211128051.html

On 2/10/2024 at 2:17 PM, Reacher said:

Indiana plays our 4th game of the year at UCLA. Hoping they are still integrating new kids and new schemes (I know we will be as well) but that should improve our odds of winning out there.

Ucla fans were literally flying banners over the stadium to fire Chip Kelly; it’s not going to be better with any new coach that quickly; I like our chances.

We actually moved to Arizona last year, so we are already planning on going to that game.

I think there’s a very good chance ucla fans will be outnumbered by opposing big ten fans at nearly every game.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

Ucla fans were literally flying banners over the stadium to fire Chip Kelly; it’s not going to be better with any new coach that quickly; I like our chances.

We actually moved to Arizona last year, so we are already planning on going to that game.

I think there’s a very good chance ucla fans will be outnumbered by opposing big ten fans at nearly every game.

So you are saying the joined the Big 10 to improve their home attendance numbers? :coffee:

https://247sports.com/article/ucla-qb-collin-schlee-headlines-9-potential-transfer-portal-candidates-for-bruins-after-chip-kellys-departure-227074157/

https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/story/2024-02-12/ucla-hires-deshaun-foster-football-coach-chip-kelly

Edited by Reacher

• 1 month later...

Kind of a weird one but Kadyn Proctor (former Bama Olineman) who Iowa was accused of tampering with this season....decided to go back to Bama after enrolling at Iowa.

Kicker is he did some NIL stuff for some car dealerships and got paid while at Iowa now he's headed back to Bama.