NCAAF/National Scene

rico

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Anyone still think Penix is still getting taken in the first rd? He is free falling as we speak. This is the IU Penix who starts over throwing everyone as soon as he starts feeling pressure. Imagine against an NFL defense.

I like the guy but I wouldn’t take him in the first especially in view of his spindly legs.  The two biggest things I look for in college projection is ability to handle pressure and accuracy.  He gets into retreat mode, back foot.    Not taking a shot at him because I like him and wish him the best.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Probably about the same time it took UL for Iose their basketball one.

My prediction: Harbaugh bolts for the NFL next year, and 2-3 years from now this and last year’s seasons get vacated. That is, if there’s any actual integrity left in this sport.

There’s a mountain of evidence: pretty much no doubt they’re guilty. I don’t think it was something that a lot of other teams aren’t doing, too, but they got caught bright-red-handed.  No way do I buy it was just one “rogue” staffer, either. At the very least, they need to be hit with lack of institutional control.

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

no shit. It is every year 

I hope the expanded playoff puts an end to views like this.  The fact is that sometimes the best teams don't make it to the Championship.  It happens in college hoops.  It happens in Pro Football.  It happens in the NBA.  It happens in MLB.  It happens in high school sports.  It may even happen in hockey, but I know nothing about the NHL.  

Washington should not be denigrated because they lost.  Maybe they had a bad night and Michigan had a good night.  Maybe a one score game became 3 scores because of game factors that had nothing to do with the quality of the teams.  

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I hope the expanded playoff puts an end to views like this.  The fact is that sometimes the best teams don't make it to the Championship.  It happens in college hoops.  It happens in Pro Football.  It happens in the NBA.  It happens in MLB.  It happens in high school sports.  It may even happen in hockey, but I know nothing about the NHL.  

Washington should not be denigrated because they lost.  Maybe they had a bad night and Michigan had a good night.  Maybe a one score game became 3 scores because of game factors that had nothing to do with the quality of the teams.  

I just agreed, who he said, the Top 4 teams were.  Washington hung on by a thread all night. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

no shit. It is every year 

I don’t really think Alabama was a top 4 team this year. They lost a home game vs Texas by double digits, and basically had a running back at QB. The only reason they took Michigan to the wire was because Michigan had a nightmare special teams performance.

I’d take Penn State, Texas, Oregon, and a healthy Florida State over Alabama this year.

52 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I just agreed, who he said, the Top 4 teams were.  Washington hung on by a thread all night. 

I hated seeing Penix so uncomfortable in he pocket last night. It brought back bad memories when IU's O-line couldn't keep him safe. I was surprised he didn't scramble and use his feet more. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kdug said:

I don’t really think Alabama was a top 4 team this year. They lost a home game vs Texas by double digits, and basically had a running back at QB. The only reason they took Michigan to the wire was because Michigan had a nightmare special teams performance.

I’d take Penn State, Texas, Oregon, and a healthy Florida State over Alabama this year.

Agree. And add Ohio State to that list as well. Bama basically lost to a terrible Auburn team too.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

ESPN's way too early Top 25 for next season.

• 6 Big Ten teams
  • 8 SEC teams
  • 5 Big 12 teams
  • 5 ACC teams
  • Notre Dame

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39252279/2024-way-too-early-college-football-top-25

Uh oh. Who wants to tell Coach Cig we aren’t ranked?  

Anyone else have to constantly recalibrate their brain reading that to adjust for conference realignment?  

1 minute ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Anyone else have to constantly recalibrate their brain reading that to adjust for conference realignment?  

I literally had to look up SMU.  I assumed the Big 12, and would have put them there if I had not looked it up.  Was surprised they were going to ACC.

9 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I saw the 16+ team conferences 5 years ago, I did NOT think it was going to be the P12 that got squeezed though. 

I thought geography would isolate them enough.  Truly thought the ACC was doomed--- SEC/ACC country basically runs together.  

OU/Texas move was not something I saw coming. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I saw the 16+ team conferences 5 years ago, I did NOT think it was going to be the P12 that got squeezed though. 

I thought geography would isolate them enough.  Truly thought the ACC was doomed--- SEC/ACC country basically runs together.  

OU/Texas move was not something I saw coming. 

I did not see the PAC 12 collapse coming either, even after they lost UCLA and USC.  

Things may not be done yet.  Florida State making a stink about the ACC penalty.  Notre Dame will eventually have to do something.  Will USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington be negatively impacted by the travel and rethink things 10 years from now?

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

And yet they were one bad holding penalty away from being in scoring position with a shot to tie it up. Would have been interesting to see if they tied it up if Michigan would have felt compelled to throw a bit more because I saw nothing from McCarthy to suggest he was going to do anything. Michigan got away with a ton of holding penalties last night…especially on the TD runs. They were no doubt the better/quality team and more dominant in the trenches. I think they would have still won…but that game could have been much closer than it was without a couple desperate 4th downs and turned on a couple plays. Also didn’t help Washington running back was hobbled..he had no juice and it made them one dimensional.

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

And yet they were one bad holding penalty away from being in scoring position with a shot to tie it up. Would have been interesting to see if they tied it up if Michigan would have felt compelled to throw a bit more because I saw nothing from McCarthy to suggest he was going to do anything. Michigan got away with a ton of holding penalties last night…especially on the TD runs. They were no doubt the better/quality team and more dominant in the trenches. I think they would have still won…but that game could have been much closer than it was without a couple desperate 4th downs and turned on a couple plays. Also didn’t help Washington running back was hobbled..he had no juice and it made them one dimensional.

ACC refs. They call it like that all year long only last night the country got to see how inept the conference officials are.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I did not see the PAC 12 collapse coming either, even after they lost UCLA and USC.  

Things may not be done yet.  Florida State making a stink about the ACC penalty.  Notre Dame will eventually have to do something.  Will USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington be negatively impacted by the travel and rethink things 10 years from now?

I thought in the end we would see college football be separated off from conference affiliation. I figured the rest of the sports would stay put. Surprised it all happened the way it did but still won’t be shocked if the other non-revenue generating sports don’t compete outside the current conference affiliation.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Was the holding call not when it was 27-13? 

Yeah, I guess you could say it could have been closer... I thought it could have easily been a blowout, though. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

The travel is a little overrated, imo, because the West is SOOO big as it is.  A flight from Seattle to PHX is 4 hours. It's 4hr 15mins to Seattle to Minneapolis. Seattle to LA is just under 3 hours. 

There are very few short flights rolling into or out of--- Eugene OR or Spokane WA 

• Like 1