NCAAF/National Scene

rico

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The travel is a little overrated, imo, because the West is SOOO big as it is.  A flight from Seattle to PHX is 4 hours. It's 4hr 15mins to Seattle to Minneapolis. Seattle to LA is just under 3 hours. 

There are very few short flights rolling into or out of--- Eugene OR or Spokane WA 

Good points on distances.  They'll also figure out how to keep non-revenue sports regional.  Football on Saturdays is all that matters and these schools are going to get paid.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I hope the expanded playoff puts an end to views like this.  The fact is that sometimes the best teams don't make it to the Championship.  It happens in college hoops.  It happens in Pro Football.  It happens in the NBA.  It happens in MLB.  It happens in high school sports.  It may even happen in hockey, but I know nothing about the NHL.  

Washington should not be denigrated because they lost.  Maybe they had a bad night and Michigan had a good night.  Maybe a one score game became 3 scores because of game factors that had nothing to do with the quality of the teams.  

Totally agree.

Trying to assert post-mortem perfection on something that inherently isn't is lazy and a bit lame. Woulda, coulda, shoulda's carry zero weight and is counter to the point of the game(s) -- which is to see things develop in real time, on the field/court.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The travel is a little overrated, imo, because the West is SOOO big as it is.  A flight from Seattle to PHX is 4 hours. It's 4hr 15mins to Seattle to Minneapolis. Seattle to LA is just under 3 hours. 

There are very few short flights rolling into or out of--- Eugene OR or Spokane WA 

To add to that the cost differential isn’t as great either. A flight from Chicago to Minneapolis is not 1/8 the cost of a flight from LA to NY

25 minutes ago, Common Sense said:

Good points on distances.  They'll also figure out how to keep non-revenue sports regional.  Football on Saturdays is all that matters and these schools are going to get paid.  

Yep. Now.. I think the conference should look into allowing OR/WA and USC/UCLA to always play each other in baseball/softball,etc. So at least one weekend a year the travel for the away team would be very easy. 

I am looking forward to adding those 4 schools in baseball though. 

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

ACC refs. They call it like that all year long only last night the country got to see how inept the conference officials are.

Not crying just because I took the points but I thought Michigan OL was doing quite a bit of holding…but in the end the better team won that was clear. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

ESPN's way too early Top 25 for next season.

• 6 Big Ten teams
  • 8 SEC teams
  • 5 Big 12 teams
  • 5 ACC teams
  • Notre Dame

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39252279/2024-way-too-early-college-football-top-25

I always like to look ahead at the future schedules.  You can do that in football!  Georgia is gonna have to be damn good next year to finish at #1.  They have:

Clemson(Atlanta)

@Alabama

@Texas

@Ole Miss

Tennessee

• Like 3

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Was the holding call not when it was 27-13? 

Yeah, I guess you could say it could have been closer... I thought it could have easily been a blowout, though. 

No it was 20-13…Washington definitely had some momentum building after holding Michigan to a fg and then gotten stops and scoring themselves. It was a big play…certainly in live action it looked bad but imo the Michigan rusher was off balance and it wasnt a grab and pull down. Regardless…moot point…penalty was called before the ref saw the finish of the play….they don’t call it after the fact…just like that KC offside call…it did feel a little imbalanced in what Michigan was getting away with…but no where near as bad as the Pittsburgh vs Seattle SB. That game was one of the worst I’ve ever seen so I can’t blame for Washingtonians being a little scarred all these years later.

Just now, dgambill said:

No it was 20-13…Washington definitely had some momentum building after holding Michigan to a fg and then gotten stops and scoring themselves. It was a big play…certainly in live action it looked bad but imo the Michigan rusher was off balance and it wasnt a grab and pull down. Regardless…moot point…penalty was called before the ref saw the finish of the play….they don’t call it after the fact…just like that KC offside call…it did feel a little imbalanced in what Michigan was getting away with…but no where near as bad as the Pittsburgh vs Seattle SB. That game was one of the worst I’ve ever seen so I can’t blame for Washingtonians being a little scarred all these years later.

That RT had a bad day with at least 3 penalties 

• Like 2

Just now, dgambill said:

You aren't talking about the holding that on the same play there was a PI? 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Not crying just because I took the points but I thought Michigan OL was doing quite a bit of holding…but in the end the better team won that was clear. 

I think there were 3-4 instances of calls that other conferences call holding. Trust me as a Canes fan it's not only week to week....it's possession to possession with ACC football refs. They are that bad. They make Brad Allen look like a savant.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

You aren't talking about the holding that on the same play there was a PI? 

No…this one was way before that one…it negated a 30 some yard pass play down to Michigan 35.  not saying it was perfect play by RT but I’ve seen much much worse…just thought the DL got off balance and the tackle helped him to the ground.

Edited by dgambill

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

No…this one was way before that one…it negated a 30 some yard pass play down to Michigan 35.  not saying it was perfect play by RT but I’ve seen much much worse…just thought the DL got off balance and the tackle helped him to the ground.

He should know better then try and do that with his left hand/arm. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

https://247sports.com/Player/chris-brazzell-46104025/high-school-255733/

Tennessee took a transfer commitment from this kid... had a huge year year as a RS FR for Tulane after having 1 catch for 11 yards. 

190th ranked player in Texas by some sites.. 1300th rated recruit. 

is he an SEC talent or AAC talent? Ahhhhhh

A favor to a friend?? 🤷‍♂️ never know nowadays. Father played in NFL…

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He should know better then try and do that with his left hand/arm. 

Agreed…he didn’t need to do a thing…but that play certainly changed momentum…and pictures of Michigan TD runs in first quarter are all over of them pulling on jerseys…I just think the game certainly could have played out differently with a couple of momentum plays going differently. No crying today…I also had the over and should have known Michigan would grind out the clock keeping it lower scoring.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Oh…I thought you said 12 yards..well yeah 700 signals he has a chance to break out…my bad

yeah I worded that really poorly lol... and left out the 700 yards. Other things on my mind... 

FR year-- 1 catch 11 yards

RS FR year- 40 catches 700 yards 4TDs and... maybe grew 2 inches? lol not sure. 

28 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Didn't see this one coming. Saban retiring.

I didn't either.  Wow, though he is 72.  7 total national championships.  Pretty incredible.  I would NOT want to fill his shoes in that job.  But I wonder if the guy at Ole Miss, Lane Kiffin, is cocky enough to think he could do it?

• Like 1