NCAAF/National Scene

rico

34 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Didn't see this one coming. Saban retiring.

Probably decided it was time and tired of recruiting, NIL and the portal. I can the old guard coaches leaving the profession in the next couple of years. We already have lost a lot in basketball. I can see Izzo hanging it up in a year or two.

38 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I didn't either.  Wow, though he is 72.  7 total national championships.  Pretty incredible.  I would NOT want to fill his shoes in that job.  But I wonder if the guy at Ole Miss, Lane Kiffin, is cocky enough to think he could do it?

I'm sure everyone will think Dabo but Lanning would be my choice. Dabo lost his shine once he didn't have Watson and Lawrence slinging things. Or Deboer. Hard to not throw his name in the hat. Give him Bama's NIL budget and that would be a wild offensive display.

Edited by Seeking6
  • Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 11:05 PM, dgambill said:

Anyone still think Penix is still getting taken in the first rd? He is free falling as we speak. This is the IU Penix who starts over throwing everyone as soon as he starts feeling pressure. Imagine against an NFL defense.

He did not look any worse than Williams did v Notre Dame 

On 1/8/2024 at 11:05 PM, dgambill said:

Anyone still think Penix is still getting taken in the first rd? He is free falling as we speak. This is the IU Penix who starts over throwing everyone as soon as he starts feeling pressure. Imagine against an NFL defense.

Penix going later might be the best thing for him.  That way he is not going to a crappy team and could probably be a backup or future starter on a non-rebuilding team 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ephul said:

If I'm Bama, I'm calling Urban Meyer.

After thinking a bit I'll go Lanning, Deboer, and the Sarkisian/Arch Manning combo in that order. One particular guy or guys that people might not be thinking is Vrabel or Demeco Ryans. Bama thinks bigger than just college. They feel they can pluck from NFL. Wouldn't be surprised if those guys popped up.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Agree, but with Washington joining the B1G, Deboer will be tougher to land. I don't think he has any connections to Bama or the SEC, does he?

Did Saban? 

I think Bama gets WHOEVER they want, personally. 

IMO-- it'll be Dabo... makes way too much sense. 

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

Did Saban? 

I think Bama gets WHOEVER they want, personally. 

IMO-- it'll be Dabo... makes way too much sense. 

Good point. As far as Dabo, Bama fans were ready to hand the reigns over to him 5 years ago. Now they're not so hot on him. Think Lanning was they're first choice, but now we see if Jimmy Sexton can get Lane Kiffin to Tuscaloosa. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Good point. As far as Dabo, Bama fans were ready to hand the reigns over to him 5 years ago. Now they're not so hot on him. Think Lanning was they're first choice, but now we see if Jimmy Sexton can get Lane Kiffin to Tuscaloosa. 

Of course they can get Kiffin and he'll kill it with the talent he'll get.