4/14-4/16 vs. ILL (A)

btownqb

Big weekend against the Illini. They come in with an RPI of 85, linked is their schedule. 

They struggled last weekend against against a poor NW team... only scoring 14 runs, but only giving up 13. Still lost two of three against a 200+ RPI team. 

image.thumb.png.f7a86f6381eeef7aba3118d95889db85.png

5 guys on the roster with 6 or more bombs. I believe has some what of a short porch in right and maybe all the way around. Compared to Indiana... ILL does strike out at a high rate... They avg a little over 10  per game SOs vs. our hitters... 8.15 SOs per game. ILL draws 4.89 walks per game vs. IU's 5.09. ILL is going it hit some bombs.. don't walk ppl and let a solo turn into a 3 run shot. 

Pitching wise, ILL's team ERA is 5.94 vs. IU 4.68. 

ILL's Friday night starter will be Riley Gowens.. who after his first start season has thrown 36 innings and given up 26 runs-- 6.50ERA. He was good last week though, 6IP 4H 10K 1ER 

Saturday will be-- who knows? lol 

Sunday- Looks like Jack Wenninger who looks to be their most consistent pitcher.  

image.thumb.png.fdf0d8bbddd466e85e4816c9b7e970d5.png

• Like 1

Offense should have won the game the first six innings. Needed another inning from Risedorph. 

I'd assume Manase can throw and inning or two tomorrow? 

Sinnard, Kraft, and Seiler didnt throw a pitch. 

Taylor is unreal.

ILL was handed their first two runs. Error on p on a pick off, and then a dropped third strike, leadoff hitter got aboard. 

Brooks Ey is starting. IU has used an "opener" before... and its possible Manase is in that role currently and I think that is what we are doing here... 

Ey throws. If it's only an inning, or 5 outs, no issue and we got from there. 2-3 innings by Ey with 1 run or less is optimal. 

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Brooks Ey is starting. IU has used an "opener" before... and its possible Manase is in that role currently and I think that is what we are doing here... 

Ey throws. If it's only an inning, or 5 outs, no issue and we got from there. 2-3 innings by Ey with 1 run or less is optimal. 

Got 6 really good innings out of Ey.

• Like 1

Serruto in conference play--- .324/.378.. from your 9 hole catcher. He's been very good. And is above average to plus behind the plate. 

Tibbitts- .404/.491/.638

Taylor- .378/.517/.844-- Taylor hit 3 HRs this weekend and a triple. 

Pyne hit better this weekend, so did Carter Mathison, and Hunter Jessee. Glasser is slumping just a tick, hopefully he turns it back around. Bobby Whalen had a good weekend and plays a great CF. 

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Serruto in conference play--- .324/.378.. from your 9 hole catcher. He's been very good. And is above average to plus behind the plate. 

Tibbitts- .404/.491/.638

Taylor- .378/.517/.844-- Taylor hit 3 HRs this weekend and a triple. 

Pyne hit better this weekend, so did Carter Mathison, and Hunter Jessee. Glasser is slumping just a tick, hopefully he turns it back around. Bobby Whalen had a good weekend and plays a great CF. 

I believe Serruto threw out two Illinois runners at second during game 3.

• Like 1

Just now, thirdgenhoosier said:

I believe Serruto threw out two Illinois runners at second during game 3.

IU stats show his only thrown out 3 runners in conference play, but that is wrong. Its way higher than that. 

Guy was an after thought at Rutgers... he has been GREAT for us. Even Friday night... he had two LOUD outs out of the 9 hole.  That lineup is relentless. 

• Like 1

Bothwell, Levy, Hayden, ADP, Katskee, and Whiteaker didn't throw a pitch this weekend. I'm sure they will make up the bulk of the staff on Tues/Wed... 

Not sure if we are committed to Seiler out of the pen, but he only threw one inning.. he could throw, same with Foley on Wed, I'd say. 

Friday-- https://static.iuhoosiers.com/custompages/stats/bb/2023/IU34.pdf -- box score. One of the few games this season our pitching wasn't good. ILL had many opportunities. 

Pitching-- Manase starts Friday going 2IP 2H 1BB 25p

Risedorph- 3IP 3H 3BB 3K 3ER

Burton- 1IP 1BB

Yoho- 2IP 3H 3ER 2BB 3K 

At the plate, we were incredibly impatient against Riley Gowens, a guy we had slugged twice in his career. Basically the only one that showed up to the plate on Friday was Devin Taylor. Taylor hit two HRS in this game. 

Cerny is legit in the field 

I mentioned how good Serruto has been. He also hit two ball HARD in this game, I'd like to see their exit velos, warning track outs, that I thought off the bat had a chance to get out. 

Game 2--https://iuhoosiers.com/sports/baseball/stats/2023/illinois-game-1-/boxscore/26400

Pitching-- Sinnard struggled. 3IP 5H 4ER 5K 3BB 

But, my lord... Ryan Kraft did NOT. 6IP 6H 2BB 3K 0R --- I think he grounded them into 2DP, plus we had a strike'em out throw them out, on a back pick at 2nd, didn't I say Serruto was solid? 

Taylor hit an RBI triple to start the game. Tibbitts RBI single in the first. 

Pyne started to hit the ball better this weekend. His HR is below. Tibbitts is scorching hot. 

back pick by Serruto 

Game 2 was Mercers 200th career win. 

Game 3-- https://iuhoosiers.com/sports/baseball/stats/2023/illinois-game-2-/boxscore/26399

Brooks Ey was the story here. 6IP 5H 2ER 0BB 68p. It's hard to even explain how big his outing was. Massive. Mercer mentioned he thought he was pitching better and better, and he has a 90-92mph sinker that was flat out working yesterday. I certainly hope we see him start this coming Sunday. 

Over Ey's last 11.2IP-- 10H 4ER 9K 2BB- 3.21ERA- 1.07 WHIP

If he's a "guy" for us done the stretch, and honestly, just 4 innings a weekend is HUGE, but if he starts giving you 5+ innings a weekend we are VERY good. 

Selier- 1IP 2H 1ER

Foley- 1.1IP 2BB 3K (he's another guy, just a little better performances out of him and our ceiling goes up)

Phillips- .2IP- rolled ILL into a DP

At the plate we finally let out our frustrations--- 

DT again performing-- 

3rd jack of the weekend

can't tell here if this is change up or sinker.. either way, it's nasty.