The battle for Lords Stanley Cup has begun!

I grew up in Indiana, land of basketball hoops in every driveway.

When I moved to Madison (WI), I saw hockey nets in every driveway. 

Most neighborhoods have a full sized rink they freeze every winter, many with lights.  They are filled with high school kids day and night, all winter long.  People are sad when Spring comes and they have to dismantle them.  

During summer, little kids practice with driveway nets and tennis balls.

Only six national titles for the UW, but it sure is popular here. 

https://www.cityofmadison.com/parks/images/Westmorland%20hockey%20rink%20by%20Christopher%20Tall.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madison22 said:

I grew up in Indiana, land of basketball hoops in every driveway.

When I moved to Madison (WI), I saw hockey nets in every driveway. 

Most neighborhoods have a full sized rink they freeze every winter, many with lights.  They are filled with high school kids day and night, all winter long.  People are sad when Spring comes and they have to dismantle them.  

During summer, little kids practice with driveway nets and tennis balls.

Only six national titles for the UW, but it sure is popular here. 

https://www.cityofmadison.com/parks/images/Westmorland%20hockey%20rink%20by%20Christopher%20Tall.jpg

Wish I could love this post. I did not have a basketball body. I played hockey in the winter. On the ice and when ice wasn’t available we played street hockey. I spent from the end of football season to the beginning of baseball season playing some type of hockey.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Only 3 of the original 6 (Bruins, Maple Leafs, Rangers) are in it, but I always root for the original 6...

Go Maple Leads...

Kraken 🙄

I can’t root for Boston or the Rangers. The Blackhawks are my Original 6 team but now that they are letting Toews go, I have less allegiance to them. My wife and I are Sid the Kid fans, so the Penguins are always our favorites. But alas, no playoffs for them this year 

• Like 1

Why hockey playoffs are the best.

Player for Colorado took a vicious check from behind into the boards. The guy who hit him got a 2 minute penalty for boarding. The guy who got hit went off the ice but did come back to play the third period.

Today it was announced that the guy who was hit, and who came back to play, suffered a broken neck and is out indefinitely.

Tell me what other sport has players like that.

40 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Why hockey playoffs are the best.

Player for Colorado took a vicious check from behind into the boards. The guy who hit him got a 2 minute penalty for boarding. The guy who got hit went off the ice but did come back to play the third period.

Today it was announced that the guy who was hit, and who came back to play, suffered a broken neck and is out indefinitely.

Tell me what other sport has players like that.

The old German tool maker that taught me most of what I know about tooling, told me how used to like going in behind the net knowing that he was about to get slammed. He said he would plant his stick on the wall and let his attackers impale themselves! Hockey is not for light waits! 
However, I’ll throw out that how many sports have there roots in competition to the death? My sport did!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

The beauty of the playoffs. The record setting Bruins go home in a Game 7 overtime loss to Florida 

Not a hockey guy but my timeline blew up last night. Is that the equivalent of a 1 seed losing to 16? Some other comparison?

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Not a hockey guy but my timeline blew up last night. Is that the equivalent of a 1 seed losing to 16? Some other comparison?

In this instance, yes. Boston had recorded the most wins in NHL history this season and had something like 43 more points than Florida--you get 2 points for a win, 1 for an overtime win, and 1 for a tie. On the other hand, Florida squeaked in to the playoffs with 92 points, having to win several games in the last week just to qualify. this was the greatest disparity in points between two playoff opponents in modern playoff history.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Or… What a great way to increase the popularity in non-traditional markets and grow the game.

Yeah, I understand that...But for a casual hockey fan, espcially us old timers, it's nice to see a Montreal, Toronto, or a Detroit in the mix...

It'll be interesting to see the TV ratings...

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, I understand that...But for a casual hockey fan, espcially us old timers, it's nice to see a Montreal, Toronto, or a Detroit in the mix...

It'll be interesting to see the TV ratings...

3 of those teams were in the playoffs. Boston set a record for most points ever in the regular season and choked in the first round. The Maple Leafs spent on some of the best players in the world and had one series win to show for it. The Rangers continue being the Rangers. Big payroll and no results. The other 3? Montreal can’t come to grips with the fact that they are no longer the elite team of the NHL and have a revolving door for the coach. No stability. The Red Wings and Black Hawks— the two teams who have had the most recent success, are in rebuilding mode and are a hot mess. Detroit is probably closer than Chicago in returning to some semblance of competitive play 

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

3 of those teams were in the playoffs. Boston set a record for most points ever in the regular season and choked in the first round. The Maple Leafs spent on some of the best players in the world and had one series win to show for it. The Rangers continue being the Rangers. Big payroll and no results. The other 3? Montreal can’t come to grips with the fact that they are no longer the elite team of the NHL and have a revolving door for the coach. No stability. The Red Wings and Black Hawks— the two teams who have had the most recent success, are in rebuilding mode and are a hot mess. Detroit is probably closer than Chicago in returning to some semblance of competitive play 

I get ya...But like I said, the TV ratings will be the key...I think games that draw casual fans in have a story behind them...Like Toronto getting to the Finals would have been a great story...A Original 6er and the team with the 2nd most Stanley Cups that hasn't won it since 1967 would have attracted a huge TV audience...Not sure Carolina/Florida vs Vegas/Dallas will...

I guess we'll see...

On 5/20/2023 at 9:10 AM, IUFLA said:

I get ya...But like I said, the TV ratings will be the key...I think games that draw casual fans in have a story behind them...Like Toronto getting to the Finals would have been a great story...A Original 6er and the team with the 2nd most Stanley Cups that hasn't won it since 1967 would have attracted a huge TV audience...Not sure Carolina/Florida vs Vegas/Dallas will...

I guess we'll see...

Toronto had their chance.