mile's simple solution to Brad Underwood to become a winner in the B1G

milehiiu

Poach the entire state of Indiana.  Plenty of talent.  Only one state away.

Think Byrant McIntosh.  Forget about the corrupt Chicago, and surrounds. 

Hit NWI hard.  Don't let those "Region Rats" go to Purdue.  Look at what Michigan has stolen out of NWI over the years.

Don't worry about what happened with Eric Gordon.  Who would have wanted to play for BAM, anyway ?

There you have it, coach.  Take my simple solution.... and YOU too can become a winner in the B1G.

:ph34r:

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Poach the entire state of Indiana.  Plenty of talent.  Only one state away.

Think Byrant McIntosh.  Forget about the corrupt Chicago, and surrounds. 

Hit NWI hard.  Don't let those "Region Rats" go to Purdue.  Look at what Michigan has stolen out of NWI over the years.

Don't worry about what happened with Eric Gordon.  Who would have wanted to play for BAM, anyway ?

There you have it, coach.  Take my simple solution.... any YOU too can become a winner in the B1G.

:ph34r:

In theory and on paper it makes total logical sense.  But I don't see it happening.

5 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Good.  Because BU will remain a loser in the B1G... if he does not take my advice.   LOL

I said this on the old site(I think), but years ago when Lon Kruger(I think again) was the coach.  There was a nationally televised game that Vitale was doing.  He stated that Illinois was the best coaching job in America that nobody knew about.  My how times have changed.  The Illinois sports program, in general, is a dumpster fire.  

Mile :: ARCHIE MILLER NEEDS to LOCK DOWN the Stat of INDIANA !! He already has great players from Lafayette McCutcheon and another from South Bend RILEY coming in for 2018-2019 ! Now , he needs to start singing " Romeo ,Romeo , where for art though , ROMEO ????  Come on up to Indiana University ! Even if it is for only ONE YEAR !!

P.S. Did you know that ALL FOUR of IU's basketball recruits for 2018-2019  ARE RATED FOUR STAR RECRUITS ?????? Has that ever happened at IU ?? I do not seem to remember that happening , ever at IU before !!

P.S. I forgot about Race Thompson !! He TOO was rated a FOUR STAR Recruit !! So that makes FIVE NEW IU PLAYERS next season that are ALL FOUR STAR RECRUITS !! I'm LOVING IT !!!!!!

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Good.  Because BU will remain a loser in the B1G... if he does not take my advice.   LOL

Why was my initial interpretation of BU - Bruthie University!    I feel real silly now.Haha!   Old habits die hard? 

I agree with your initial thought. Relatively speaking, considering Illinois greater resources and tradition, they would likely get enough to come out no worse than Vermont, and that's pretty solid right about now. Michigan's recent run of Indiana players in their core is probably the more accurate reference for the potential, though.

@Rico-  I don't want it to happen. Lol 

21 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

Michigan's recent run of Indiana players in their core is probably the more accurate reference for the potential, though.

You are getting very close to the underlying premise behind this crazy thread I started.

Too much good to great talent in the state of Indiana.... for it to go elsewhere.

Archie has got to make good on his promise to lock down the state of Indiana.  He's done fair till now. Less than a year in.  And has made remarkable inroads with none other than Romeo Langford.  In order to make good on  the promise Archie  made to IU fans less than one year ago.... Archie  MUST seal the deal on Romeo.

I am tired of Hoosier talent, going out of state and making something out of nothing programs.  Such as this :

How the Chesterton connection put Michigan basketball back on the map 

I've probably been there awhile, but I totally see it that way.

I've been howling endlessly about this subject for a few years when my cousin and I talk IU and recruiting in-state. That lack of in-state focus was my biggest personal beef with Crean's recruiting strategy. 

My wife is from Vt , and I follow the Catamounts and the American East. Seeing them, and the B1G's  NU reach historic heights, and U of M having an upswing in recent success yet IU going to NIT, and getting invited to the CBI in one decade burns my rear because the game is taught with so many nuances, and fine points in this state at the high school level and it was missing from the recipe here under the last tenure.The in-state culture is just more fitting for what we would hope to see out of Indiana University Basketball, and that is not by coincidence.

I need to go check if I linked it , but the UM page had a feature about the "Indiana boys homecoming at IU a couple of seasons ago. It told the story of how Novak and Douglass being overlooked by in-state schools started a chain reaction for them since their kids had ties prior to college. If not I'll link it since it's in my saved browser favs.

Not that I minded the fact Purdue overlooked the same kids, but they had done more than IU(with looking at in-state kids) and that bugged me without any of the other teams mentioned. Plus those kids still ended up in the B1G even if it wasn't Purdue. How hard is it to bring a kid here from relatively much closer for a better look than we're reaching for the Jeremiah Aprils of the world? I'm talking more convenient unofficial visits with aa chance to lead to more. I also know Priller started out here technically, and I love me some T,  but I still think even that scholly could have been filled better right here in-state in 9/10 years.

This is a valid topic .Thanks for posting.

Here's that link: 

http://mgoblue.com/news/2015/2/6/Michigan_s_Indiana_Boys_Going_Back_Home_Again.aspx

10 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

^^^ Thanks jblaz13 for the input as well as the link.

This just in.  Brad Underwood refused to take my advice.... and just offered Austin Trice.  A JUCO out of Wabash Valley.

NJCAA

You're welcome. I've had that link for awhile now. I wasn't so upset at the time of finding it, but it got under my skin when I ran across it again late last season. 

1 minute ago, jblaz13 said:

You're welcome. I've had that link for awhile now. I wasn't so upset at the time of finding it, but it got under my skin when I ran across it again late last season. 

I knew there were more than Zack and Mitch that Michigan had poached out of Indiana.   Just could not think of them all. 

Just underscores my premise here.  Archie has got to put an end to this. 

Even would have loved to had the young Mr. Dakich.  I think he is the glue guy for Ohio State this year. 

Born and raised in Illinois. But deep disdain for everything orange and blue. The best part is they continue to get in their own way. Kruger and Self hit the road obviously but hung on to Bruce about 3 years long, Groce never should have been hired...and Underwood? Jury is still out. 

Regarding recruiting. Tim Miles snuck in and took 3 4 star guys from Illinois. Iowa St took another (because of Mac Irvin crew), Freddy Van Fleet (Wichita St), Ethan Happ (Wisconsin), Justin Smith (IU), Nojel Eastern (Purdue)....not to mention what Missouri has done. You don't have to get involved with the dirt in Chicago to have a very good team there. Probably why it's so frustrating for their fans. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

I knew there were more than Zack and Mitch that Michigan had poached out of Indiana.   Just could not think of them all. 

Just underscores my premise here.  Archie has got to put an end to this. 

Even would have loved to had the young Mr. Dakich.  I think he is the glue guy for Ohio State this year. 

Archie most certainly does, and it appears to be off to a promising beginning in that regard.He definitely said the right things going back to his introductory press conference. I can't really name any less heralded kids he is in on in Indiana off the top of my head, but it's hard to argue with early returns on higher caliber recruits to date. 

I feel the same way about Andrew Dakich, and always have. I've actually coached against him when he attended St Charles Catholic(on their" best ever" at the time- middle school team) in Bloomington several years back. He's a cerebral player, and you're right about kids appearing to gel very well around his role at OSU. Some things never change even if the level of competition does.

A.D. wouldn't have had to be any more formidable than McRoberts in his offensive role  to have a positive effect on the team's bottom line of needing more IQ, efficiency, and consistent effort out of the backcourt particularly earlier on this season.

He would've given Indiana another mature player who would look to set others up, but could get his when teams keyed on Indiana's more obvious threats. That(level of unselfishness I've already seen out of A.D)  fits what Miller has cited as having changed for the better on this IU team only recently, and it was an obvious need for this team from day 1 against ISU..

@PoHoosier:  I don't disagree one bit

I do think it should be mandatory for the entire Indiana All-Star team to get at least one unofficial invite, or even just a workout invite at IU on a take it or leave it basis. 

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

You are getting very close to the underlying premise behind this crazy thread I started.

Too much good to great talent in the state of Indiana.... for it to go elsewhere.

Archie has got to make good on his promise to lock down the state of Indiana.  He's done fair till now. Less than a year in.  And has made remarkable inroads with none other than Romeo Langford.  In order to make good on  the promise Archie  made to IU fans less than one year ago.... Archie  MUST seal the deal on Romeo.

I am tired of Hoosier talent, going out of state and making something out of nothing programs.  Such as this :

How the Chesterton connection put Michigan basketball back on the map 

Back in my day at Chesterton, we weren't very good. The only player I remember back then being looked at by D1 involved Wisconsin when they were at the bottom of the BIG. Times have changed.

7 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Back in my day at Chesterton, we weren't very good. The only player I remember back then being looked at by D1 involved Wisconsin when they were at the bottom of the BIG. Times have changed.

My days in "The Region" would allow me to agree with you.  Probably predate your days.... and agree.... at one time Chesterton had a hard time even scheduling games.

However, back in those days, there was a ton of talent in NWI.  Think .... Glenn Robinson, and the two who helped Texas Western to a National Championship.  And several others that went on to NBA glory.... all coming out of NWI. 

Gary players have left their mark on the NBA 

Just now, milehiiu said:

My days in "The Region" would allow me to agree with you.  Probably predate your days.... and agree.... at one time Chesterton had a hard time even scheduling games.

However, back in those days, there was a ton of talent in NWI.  Think .... Glenn Robinson, and the two who helped Texas Western to a National Championship.  And several others that went on to NBA glory.... all coming out of NWI. 

I always remember the East Chicago Washington team with Trgovich et all.

4 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I always remember the East Chicago Washington team with Trgovich et all.

The '71 Senator's team was impressive. Sent 7 players into college BB or beyond.  Tom Stoddard spent over a decade in Major League Baseball. 

All-time great high school teams: Boys basketball - East Chicago Washington 1971

5 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

The '71 Senator's team was impressive. Sent 7 players into college BB or beyond.  Tom Stoddard spent over a decade in Major League Baseball. 

All-time great high school teams: Boys basketball - East Chicago Washington 1971

And look where they all went UCLA, NCstate, Louisville. Wasn't that coach Knights first recruiting class? 

27 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

And look where they all went UCLA, NCstate, Louisville. Wasn't that coach Knights first recruiting class? 

At the start of Knight's era.  However, I will say this.... IU has never recruited North West Indiana well.  Something, I hope Archie gets corrected. 

12 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

At the start of Knight's era.  However, I will say this.... IU has never recruited North West Indiana well.  Something, I hope Archie gets corrected. 

Geographically, it makes sense that IU would struggle more with the northwest. Especially with Purdue and Notre Dame much closer.  I would say that Archie has made a pretty big statement with Phinisee and Damezi Anderson, though.

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Geographically, it makes sense that IU would struggle more with the northwest. Especially with Purdue and Notre Dame much closer.  I would say that Archie has made a pretty big statement with Phinisee and Damezi Anderson, though.

Hey.  I grew up in Gary. Only school I applied to was IU.  And drove PAST PU every time on my way to B-town.  If I could do it... so could others.  LOL.

Seriously,  Archie has made inroads with those two.  However, going into the future.... he needs to do much more.... starting with Romeo. 

13 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Well technically if you go by area codes.......Phinisee would be from the central, and Anderson would be from the northcentral.  Just sayin'

Archived