Old Stadiums

btownqb

So.. I've kind of gotten into looking up/learning about some of the old ball parks.... 

(We've started visiting a few too) 

Old Tiger Stadium was badass. Upper and Lower decks are pretty cool. 

Learned about the two ball parks in Boston that weren't Fenway, plus two ball parks in Philly that weren't Shibe. Cool stuff. Both of these sets of parks in these two cities were like 2-3 blocks from each other. 

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Great topic...one of my favorites is The Polo Grounds former home of the NY Giants in Flatbush, NY...the dimensions were wild...

200px-PoloGroundsDimensions_svg.png.8c9d74adbd9d6ddb9838559a96b863df.png

The vast center field allowed for the most iconic play in World Series history to happen...

The_Catch.png.bb9d7402b44a0dd9a87155ec63dd7c40.png

Vic Wertz says hi.   😊

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Great topic...one of my favorites is The Polo Grounds former home of the NY Giants in Flatbush, NY...the dimensions were wild...

The vast center field allowed for the most iconic play in World Series history to happen...

Each old park was unique.  Dimensions created by the city spaces in which these parks were built.  Crosley Field in Cincy, Forbes Field in Pittsburgh, Sportsman Park in St. Louis and those already mentioned all were memorable.  And we can't forget Wrigley Field or Fenway Park, Ebbetts Field and Yankee Stadium.

Edited by jv1972iu

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2023 at 9:27 AM, IUFLA said:

On 5/31/2023 at 9:39 AM, jv1972iu said:

Each old park was unique.  Dimensions created by the city spaces in which these parks were built.  Crosley Field in Cincy, Forbes Field in Pittsburgh, Sportsman Park in St. Louis and those already mentioned all were memorable.  And we can't forget Wrigley Field or Fenway Park, Ebbetts Field and Yankee Stadium.

I'm big into gaming in my spare time..  PS5 and I play a lot of MLB the Show. 

You can play at old ball parks-- Shibe, Crosley, Forbes, the Polo Grounds.. its so cool. 

Got one in the gap at the Polo Grounds for an inside the park HR. Absolutely wild. Love it. 

• Like 2

On 6/15/2023 at 12:53 PM, btownqb said:

I'm big into gaming in my spare time..  PS5 and I play a lot of MLB the Show. 

You can play at old ball parks-- Shibe, Crosley, Forbes, the Polo Grounds.. its so cool. 

Got one in the gap at the Polo Grounds for an inside the park HR. Absolutely wild. Love it. 

So Willie Mays wasn't in Center when you hit it?

• Haha 3

On 5/31/2023 at 7:42 AM, btownqb said:

So.. I've kind of gotten into looking up/learning about some of the old ball parks.... 

(We've started visiting a few too) 

Old Tiger Stadium was badass. Upper and Lower decks are pretty cool. 

Learned about the two ball parks in Boston that weren't Fenway, plus two ball parks in Philly that weren't Shibe. Cool stuff. Both of these sets of parks in these two cities were like 2-3 blocks from each other. 

If there was one thing wrong with MLB in the 70's it was the cookie cutter stadiums.  Those old ball parks were works of art.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, rico said:

If there was one thing wrong with MLB in the 70's it was the cookie cutter stadiums.  Those old ball parks were works of art.

You're right in retrospect, but at the time they were viewed as groundbreaking and practical...

Along with the pullover knit uniforms 😁

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

It all started when the Dodgers moved to LA and played in the Coliseum from 1958-1961.  Or do we count the Polo Grounds as dual purpose??   😁

Wrigley, Cleveland Stadium, Municipal Stadium in Baltimore...

Might not have been the best fit, but...

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Wrigley, Cleveland Stadium, Municipal Stadium in Baltimore...

Might not have been the best fit, but...

Yeah, I even remember the NFL NY Giants playing in Yankee Stadium.  Pro football was WAY behind in popularity "back in the old days".  LOL. 😂😂😂

• Like 1