Best suburbs in Indy?

Hey everyone, my wife and I are moving back to Indiana (I'm originally from Richmond, IN) from Naples, FL.  I know from growing up in Indiana that the suburbs you always hear about are usually the best ones and most desirable (Carmel, Fishers, Westfield, Noblesville, etc.)  I was wondering if anyone could give me their thoughts on some areas that I may not know about (haven't been home in 15 years).  If you have any current knowledge of some safe, well-maintained areas, we'd greatly appreciate any feedback.  Thank you.

• Like 3

IMO--- Indy suburbs are fantastic. That's a "tourists" view. I live in Columbus and I am from Jackson County. So... super small town guy here. 

Fortville/Mt Vernon/McCordsville (this area is growing big time), Avon, Brownsburg, Greenwood, Plainfield are all very nice places to live. All of which have excellent high schools. Greenfield is nice. 

Lapel is very nice small town to live in, it's a suburb (in location)... but not what you'd think of traditionally. Very nice school. 

Franklin is INCREDIBLY nice now. Their downtown is fantastic. Nicest HS in the state, as well. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And what's your SSN? 😉

Franklin? Nice? Really?

I loved there in the 70s... Rathole then... 

image.jpeg.3a4bdfc7a224e16f5d9fc6a18a4ce1f3.jpegimage.jpeg.514ba7421c636521219612bda6e2867b.jpegimage.jpeg.65c67bca1ad6684673ff34cc8dae8876.jpeg

I wish I could find a better picture of their 4 gym fieldhouse they use for basketball tourneys. But, as mentioned... nicest HS in the state. 

image.jpeg.a0b0deae6ae4815424185d45dac68922.jpeg this is the new amphitheater.. that area is VERY nice. 

Plus there are 4-5 new (nice) restaurants/water holes that are downtown, but they've also updated the area completely. 

image.jpeg

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, kycarter88 said:

Hey everyone, my wife and I are moving back to Indiana (I'm originally from Richmond, IN) from Naples, FL.  I know from growing up in Indiana that the suburbs you always hear about are usually the best ones and most desirable (Carmel, Fishers, Westfield, Noblesville, etc.)  I was wondering if anyone could give me their thoughts on some areas that I may not know about (haven't been home in 15 years).  If you have any current knowledge of some safe, well-maintained areas, we'd greatly appreciate any feedback.  Thank you.

Depends on what you'll be needing. Kids/no kids. Schools/no schools/ Want home or looking for maintenance free living. I've lived in Carmel since I left IU in 95. I have friends all over the area.  If you provide a little more what you need we could help out for sure. Carmel, Fishers, Zionsville....all the usual suspects are great. However I will say that the construction projects going on with I69/Northeast Indy will be going on for years. If you choose Fishers or up that way just know that's something you'll be facing. 

Otherwise welcome back to the area. Great area to be in for a major city but in some regards still feels like a small town. 

Didn't know you lived in Naples. We are in Lely Resort often. Not a bad time to move back from Naples....take that loot and run haha.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

And what's your SSN? 😉

Franklin? Nice? Really?

I loved there in the 70s... Rathole then... 

Older sister went to Franklin College in the mid 80s and there wasn't much there. She told me they all had to go to Greenwood for shopping etc.

I had a conference there a couple months back, and it was the first time I was in Franklin since those days, and it was very nice, at least the areas we were in. I was shocked at how nice it was.

Our conference was at the Garment Factory https://www.garmentfactoryevents.com/

Nice place!

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, kycarter88 said:

May I suggest Warsaw?

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Older sister went to Franklin College in the mid 80s and there wasn't much there. She told me they all had to go to Greenwood for shopping etc.

I had a conference there a couple months back, and it was the first time I was in Franklin since those days, and it was very nice, at least the areas we were in. I was shocked at how nice it was.

Our conference was at the Garment Factory https://www.garmentfactoryevents.com/

Nice place!

Self pour bar and duck pin bowling places are pretty cool.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

My brother lives on the south east side of Geist Reservoir. If I had to move back that’s the area I would look. 

Yeah, I mean it's Indiana.  If you have to live here find a lake or a Brown County/Hoosier national type of vibe.  Thank God I'm on Morse.  Even if someone wanted to switch me houses I'd choose Morse.  

@kycarter88 and those that aren't familiar.   Geist and the area are slammed like sardines.  Not my vibe.  Morse, Cicero, Sheridan, Arcadia, and even parts of Noblesville still have a nostalgic feel to it.  The square in Noblesville is 5 mins from my house.  I can get to 75 restaurants in less than 20 mins, probably another 75 in 25.  7 mins from home depot, 9 to lowes, 18 to menards.  Costco coming in on 37. 

The 2 safest places to shop, maybe in the state, Hamilton Town center, and Clay terrace, 20 mins each.  Obviously great schools all around.  If new everything is your vibe, Carmel it is.  I think Hamilton county had 2 or 3 of the top 10 safest towns in the country a few months back.  Over 100 miles of biking paths interconnected.  

I'd add, your in corn field country real quick up here.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Depends on what you'll be needing. Kids/no kids. Schools/no schools/ Want home or looking for maintenance free living. I've lived in Carmel since I left IU in 95. I have friends all over the area.  If you provide a little more what you need we could help out for sure. Carmel, Fishers, Zionsville....all the usual suspects are great. However I will say that the construction projects going on with I69/Northeast Indy will be going on for years. If you choose Fishers or up that way just know that's something you'll be facing. 

Otherwise welcome back to the area. Great area to be in for a major city but in some regards still feels like a small town. 

Didn't know you lived in Naples. We are in Lely Resort often. Not a bad time to move back from Naples....take that loot and run haha.

your last sentence hits the nail on the head lol.  We hate the heat and the amount of people moving here, so we are going to cash in while we can.  Honestly, we are just looking for a nice community (if you're familiar with naples you know what i'm talking about).  Doesn't have to be ritzy or anything, but we also would like a well-maintained area that doesn't have a lot of eyesores.  Also, location to plenty of career options is important to us.  We will be visiting next weekend, but I wanted to gather as much intel as possible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kycarter88 said:

your last sentence hits the nail on the head lol.  We hate the heat and the amount of people moving here, so we are going to cash in while we can.  Honestly, we are just looking for a nice community (if you're familiar with naples you know what i'm talking about).  Doesn't have to be ritzy or anything, but we also would like a well-maintained area that doesn't have a lot of eyesores.  Also, location to plenty of career options is important to us.  We will be visiting next weekend, but I wanted to gather as much intel as possible.

My MIL always says areas of Carmel mirror Naples minus the lack of ocean and we've always agreed.....they seem to be similar in setup.  I'd start in around downtown Carmel and go outward from there. Good luck with things and don't hesitate to ask.  

Edited by Seeking6
  • Like 1