Louisville game thread

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Assuming the win next week we are at 2. Games vs Rutgers, Maryland, Purdue, Illinois, Michigan St are the way to 6 assuming we don't pull off a big upset. Maybe I should add a home game vs Sconny too. 

Though it is unlikely anyways, we are almost to the stage that making it to 6 wins will set the program back another 5 years.  Probably get us an extension with Allen.  That is why the football team can’t get any support. It is counterintuitive.  The bar is set so low that just being mediocre without any consistent long term improvement is accepted and rewarded.  And we still can’t consistently clear it.  

• Like 2

The main positive out of this game is Jackson is our guy at QB. A lot of high throws early but once he got settled in, he was dropping dimes. 97 yard touchdown drive was a thing of beauty. 

The 4th & goal play that got stuffed, what the hell was that? Worst possible play to call there, a slow-developing run up the middle where you hand the back the ball at the 5 yard line. 

Defense settled down nicely in the 2nd half.

But the positives are overshadowed by dropping a game we desperately needed for bowl eligibility.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, hoopsta007 said:

Though it is unlikely anyways, we are almost to the stage that making it to 6 wins will set the program back another 5 years.  Probably get us an extension with Allen.  That is why the football team can’t get any support. It is counterintuitive.  The bar is set so low that just being mediocre without any consistent long term improvement is accepted and rewarded.  And we still can’t consistently clear it.  

Trust me. I've been getting the Antwaan Randle El texts all summer and this season. I don't like that stuff just because I feel like being in a season. We judge the season and the trend of the program at the end. I'll hold off on that stuff until December. 

I do know this though I think we have something with Tayven. 

• Like 4

There is still a weakness in run blocking, but it honestly looks like there’s enough talent and athleticism on this team to win 6. It won’t be easy- never is. I haven’t felt that consistently since the big year during COVID, but I did think there was a year or two since where the same can be said. And thought Allen underachieved in those instances. Hopin gongoing TJ experience will be enough to push us over the hump this time. Tough balance. Allen’s coaching should not be beyond questioning. Yet would anyone else recruit and work the portal as well at IU. Seems doubtful.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Assuming the win next week we are at 2. Games vs Rutgers, Maryland, Purdue, Illinois, Michigan St are the way to 6 assuming we don't pull off a big upset. Maybe I should add a home game vs Sconny too. 

Wisconsin at home should be in there, need to win 4/6 of those. Wisconsin ain’t great this year and we get them at home. 

Edited by HoosierFan997
  • Like 1

Here's what I saw.

1st half:
A nervous FR QB over throwing wide open guys. A defense that got burnt by the fastest WRs they will see all year. 

2nd half:
A more relaxed QB making some big plays. An OL that still needs work in the run game. A defense that's pretty legit. A good offensive game plan. A QB who is still a bit slow executing the game plan, including the 4th down stuff. He needs to get out of the snap much faster and Henderson has to be way more decisive and violent. OL got blown off the line immediately. Wasting TOs because you have a FR QB. 

Overall, this team looks decent and I think they have the weapons on both sides to get better each week. Why worry about anything else at this point. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 6

51 minutes ago, HoosierFan997 said:

Also, main take away. 

If we can keep him, Tayven Jackson will be a damn good QB here. I’m not sold on Allen at all, but Walt Bell is the biggest question mark to me. Not a lot of faith in him. He’s digging us holes with conservative play calling. 

Tayven showed he can air it out today. Let him loose.

He has already transferred once so would have to sit out a year if he transfers again. Have to think that helps us keep him.

Did not follow the game thread so not sure what was said.

Yes, first half was bad. I don’t think the defense was ready for the speed of UL’s skill players. Brohm is an excellent play caller as well.

But, I saw a much more creative offensive game plan. Loved the multiple ways Bell tried to get Lucas involved. I saw an O-line that by and large kept the pocket clean. I saw a D-line that dominated much of the second half. I saw adjustments at halftime and a gutsy and perfectly executed onside kick to give us a jolt of energy.

I also saw a poorly executed 4th and goal that essentially was game over when we were stopped. Not in love with the play call, but the back left his feet way too soon.

All in all, a loss is still a loss. But I feel that we can compete against most of the teams left on our schedule. Not sure what you guys that are calling for CTA’s job want… he has us playing competitively in every game. This is IU football btw. These 3 games versus the competition we’ve played should be applauded for the effort and character to not give up. In previous years, a 21 point deficit was the portal to a 50 point blowout. I’m not happy with losing but I’m optimistic with the direction this staff has the program moving 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Did not follow the game thread so not sure what was said.

Yes, first half was bad. I don’t think the defense was ready for the speed of UL’s skill players. Brohm is an excellent play caller as well.

But, I saw a much more creative offensive game plan. Loved the multiple ways Bell tried to get Lucas involved. I saw an O-line that by and large kept the pocket clean. I saw a D-line that dominated much of the second half. I saw adjustments at halftime and a gutsy and perfectly executed onside kick to give us a jolt of energy.

I also saw a poorly executed 4th and goal that essentially was game over when we were stopped. Not in love with the play call, but the back left his feet way too soon.

All in all, a loss is still a loss. But I feel that we can compete against most of the teams left on our schedule. Not sure what you guys that are calling for CTA’s job want… he has us playing competitively in every game. This is IU football btw. These 3 games versus the competition we’ve played should be applauded for the effort and character to not give up. In previous years, a 21 point deficit was the portal to a 50 point blowout. I’m not happy with losing but I’m optimistic with the direction this staff has the program moving 

Winning...  that's what the people want.  

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Common Sense said:

Winning...  that's what the people want.  

Yep. Get that.

I’ve wanted it for the 53 years I have been an IU fan. Again, it’s IU. One of the worst programs historically. Take it in baby steps and look for the positive where you can find them 

Edited by Steubenhoosier
  • Like 1

Not that U of L is any kind of a powerhouse and deserve great respect, but I love reading opposing team reactions to IU....

Here's are a few interesting ones from CardinalSports on Rivals....

"I didn't have much concern about IU going in but I didn't know they have a star QB in the making. Jackson is going to be a star and the Hoosiers are going to have a hard time keeping him out of the portal."

"Something to consider, THE Ohio State was held to 23 points vs IU. We saw in the second half the potential of the IU defense."

• Like 2