Thanksgiving 2023

Drroogh

For real though, my wife and I stay home. 

I make the turkey in the electric roaster (best method imho), mashed potatoes, dressing, candied sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, and cranberry sauce.  Wife shares in the cooking duties. 

Last few years though we've either taken leftovers or taken it over and had dinner with an older couple that is one of my wife's clients.  They don't have any kids so they like the company. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 6

Smoked Turkey (applewood) my wife's famous Italian sausage dressing, mashed potatoes, green beans casserole, and Maggiano's cheesecake (which I make from scratch... They use to have the recipe on their website) 

Youngest and her family coming over... We'll trim the tree afterward...

Went over and helped them trim this afternoon

IMG_0333.thumb.jpg.7623b47cca9a36cf112b5d189b7cc24c.jpg

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 5

@IUFLA

I smoked a turkey one year. It turned out great but just didn't have the Thanksgiving feel for us. I also smoke whole chickens throughout the year. Applewood is also my choice for poultry. 

For turkey I've tried it all. Deep fry, baked, smoked.  I settled on electric roaster because it has 3 advantages.  Less mess than deep fry, I pour a can of chicken broth in the pan so it not only bastes itself but I get the drippings for the gravy.  

• Like 3

Just an FYI...I suck at trimming a full packer brisket. It took me like 90 minutes and a cut thumb. On a positive note, brisket is now smoking away....used pecan wood this time.

I think my wife is making the rest of the dinner tomorrow...deviled eggs, mashed potatoes, rolls, homemade mac and cheese, green bean casserole, cheescake (not as fancy as @Drroogh and @IUFLAare making, and pumpkin pie. My kids were arguing over which dessert, so I believe she is making both. I'm pretty sure they knew what they were doing with that...

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Just an FYI...I suck at trimming a full packer brisket. It took me like 90 minutes and a cut thumb. On a positive note, brisket is now smoking away....used pecan wood this time.

I think my wife is making the rest of the dinner tomorrow...deviled eggs, mashed potatoes, rolls, homemade mac and cheese, green bean casserole, cheescake (not as fancy as @Drroogh and @IUFLAare making, and pumpkin pie. My kids were arguing over which dessert, so I believe she is making both. I'm pretty sure they knew what they were doing with that...

And all you had to do was cut your thumb to deserve all that? You better give her a special hug. And a tidbit from the divorced man do something to make sure she knows you understand how much she cares about you for doing it! It’s like getting old and never passing by a bathroom, never pass up an opportunity to stoke her importance in the family!

• Like 4

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite weeks. I guess this could sound a little pat myself on the back but oh well. We fed 80 retired military vets on Monday. The last 3 days with the help of several golf fundraisers in the summer we are feeding 75 families here in Indy their Thanksgiving dinners, tomorrow morning we serve breakfast for a Legion Post here in Indy before the Turkey Trot and after that we get to enjoy a day of family/friends/football and a ton of food. 

We wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving and I'll just say this. If you can help others do so. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

The only thing other than cooking the turkey I won't let her do is make the gravy. Those 2 are my domain. 

Sometimes we'll swap green bean casserole for brussel sprouts with bacon, garlic, and shallots. 

Whatever we don't have at Thanksgiving gets made at Christmas.  

Brussels Sprouts are very underrated. I think too many people grew up with boiled or steamed ones. 
If you roast them with some seasoning and let them get crispy they are great. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

There are some good videos on YouTube that show how to trim brisket. Chud BBQ is one I like. 
I also cut my finger tonight. Mine was a box cutter while I was cutting shipping tubes for something I’m working on. 

44 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

There are some good videos on YouTube that show how to trim brisket. Chud BBQ is one I like. 
I also cut my finger tonight. Mine was a box cutter while I was cutting shipping tubes for something I’m working on. 

Hope your finger is alright! Mine was not too bad....just bled for a bit.

I did watch a couple videos, but not that one. I'll check it out. They make it seem easy on the videos, but it took me way longer than I anticipated. It's all good though as long as it turns out!

11 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Hope your finger is alright! Mine was not too bad....just bled for a bit.

I did watch a couple videos, but not that one. I'll check it out. They make it seem easy on the videos, but it took me way longer than I anticipated. It's all good though as long as it turns out!

I’m fine, too. Just a small cut that needed a bandaid for the night. 

Here is the one I was thinking about.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YNBshHcxjd0

• Like 1

Our day is tomorrow so the serious stuff starts.... right now. Our oldest granddaughter experienced Brisket over the summer and at the first bight said, I WANT THIS FOR THANKSGIVING.

SO, Granpa has a new $500 pit boss smoker, and a 16# brisket. The current wife found a 22# bird, so I cut the Brisket down to 7# after trimming weight. OMG these two things together is A LOT of meat!

I'm now (5 hours before it goes on the smoker) Salt/ Pepper/ garlic rubbing over a light honey coating on the brisket. The bird is getting some Salt/ pepper/ orange juice and brown sugar dry rubs. They go into the smoke at midnight, if I wake up to do it. of course. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Anyone else who likes dark meat dig out the oysters?  Chicken and turkey have an oval shaped piece by the spine attached to the thigh. Best bite on the bird. You may have never heard of them because it is traditionally a treat for the cook. 

U9XGV6RmM0d7oPmWmvD-0rHIOwY2h8_Vi85gmLZd4HI.jpg.aa2684148f4f41ca435ee36f5bb46e97.jpg

My dad always holds back to get the wings and drumsticks; Its been this way for 50+ years. Never made sense to anyone.

I think tomorrow, I will carve out the dark meat and make a specific announcement that his here shit is for dad! Maybe it's time for him to be first, for a change !

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

My dad always holds back to get the wings and drumsticks; Its been this way for 50+ years. Never made sense to anyone.

I think tomorrow, I will carve out the dark meat and make a specific announcement that his here shit is for dad! Maybe it's time for him to be first, for a change !

I'm lucky because my wife likes the white meat(no pun intended), and I prefer dark meat, you know, when it comes to poultry.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY!, gets between me and my chicken/turkey oysters and thighs+legs. I will share some dark meat on occasion.  

• Haha 2