Potential HC Candidates

KDB

20 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

In that scenario we would have to hire 2 good coaches in a row..... IU fans realize that is unlikely.

The last time IU hired a head coach who left for another head coaching job was in 1982, after one season going 3-8. You have to go back to 1947 to find an IU coach who had a winning record and left for another coaching job. Basically every other IU coach since then has been unsuccessful and eventually fired.

If we hire someone who is good enough to get poached for another head coaching job, I’ll be happy. That also makes the job more attractive for the next hire.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

He did? I haven't seen that reported, but I haven't been hawking the boards as much as I did yesterday. So who has been reported as being interviewed or lined up for an interview? So far I heard it was Herman, Chryst, Frye, Hart, and Candle. Not sure if ARE was interviewed. Then you have all the Gruden stuff, which I am suspicious of besides being click bait and Twitter rumors. 

I thought we were talking about Hart. 

1 minute ago, iuswingman said:

The answer is run the ball up the middle with your smallest RB.

I like that strategy, some of the time. NOT a fan of speed option with no motion, or basically any deception at all, with marginal athletes against the B1G front 7 defenses. Never going to work. 

57 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Except we know Hart doesn't really want to be here.

At least we can pretend with other candidates that they might like IU enough to stay.

I like Herman, Candle, or Cignetti.

How do we know Hart doesn't want to be here? It seems like pushing for an interview would indicate he does want to be here. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

In that scenario we would have to hire 2 good coaches in a row..... IU fans realize that is unlikely.

But that second time we have to do it could be 5-6 years down the line with the program and perception of the job in a much better spot. I think you're likelihood of making the right hire at that point is much greater.

The reality is, if we get this hire right we are probably going to have to make another good hire at some point no matter who it is. This is our most important hire in the history of the program, right up until the next time we have to make a hire. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, DireBump said:

I don’t understand. If we are grabbing a position coach like Hart, then we should just go get ARE. 

49 minutes ago, btownqb said:

But but college experience? 

For me the difference is partially college experience, yes, but it goes way beyond that.

Who know the current state of the IU program better? Hart.

Who knows the current state of college football better? Hart.

Who has recruiting ties to Indiana? Hart.

Who knows what it takes to be part of an elite program? Hart.

Who is excellent in their current role? Hart.

To me the comparison is night and day different between Hart and ARE. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

How do we know Hart doesn't want to be here? It seems like pushing for an interview would indicate he does want to be here. 

Should have added "for the long haul".    He wants to be here thinking it will get him back to UM or possibly somewhere else.

Of course, if he successful enough to make us a stepping stone, then at least we are in a better spot than now.

I'd rather have someone with HC experience anyway.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Don't know the $$$ or circumstances though...

If we're looking for someone who would never leave IU under any circumstances, I think your down to me, Woody, and @IU Scott... And I'm not sure about that last one 😉

You're pretty old, could we really count on you for more than 5-8 years anyway? :coffee:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, iuswingman said:

Should have added "for the long haul".    He wants to be here thinking it will get him back to UM or possibly somewhere else.

Of course, if he successful enough to make us a stepping stone, then at least we are in a better spot than now.

I think we hired one of the only coaches out there that considers us his dream job. If that's what you want, then bring back Allen. 

I think a lot of Hoosier fans are looking at this incorrectly.  If we're going realistic, even if Bear Bryant was head coach, with Nick Saban and Bobby Bowden as assistants, IU is not going to be hanging out in the college football playoff. 

If, and it's a big IF, we stumble across a coach that gets us to 9-3 in a couple of years, that coach is not going to be at IU the following season.  Just not going to happen. And, then IU is right back trying to find a new coach, and with player free agency, a potentially massive rebuild. And, then if that rebuild is successful, we go through it all over again.

The one exception to that rule would be someone with deep ties to the university.

If you're lucky enough to catch lightning in a bottle once, don't set it up so that you have to try it again 5 years later.  

Get the guy who is going to hang around 15-20 years.  That's how you build a program.  Consistent bowl trips.  A string of 7-5 years for IU is better than a random 9-3 followed by a string of 5-7 and 4-8 seasons.  You get those patterns when you keep changing coaches.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Who cares. IU has never been a stepping stone job. If Hart or anyone else got hired by a better program that likely means they had success and would be leaving the program in a better state than they found it. That's a win in my book for this program. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, iuswingman said:

Hart is probably 3rd or 4th in line at best to replace Harbaugh. A lot would have to go right at IU -- and wrong at UofM -- for Hart to get the Wolverines job anytime this decade.

Edited by IUProfessor
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

It's almost a certainty that whoever gets hired is going to be here less than a decade.

Go get whoever is best to get the program in a better position over 3-7 years for the next round of hiring. 

I wonder what the list is of Power 5 programs that have had a coach longer than 10 years currently? Saban. Swinney. The guy at Oklahoma State. Maybe a couple others?

• Like 2

From the other board:

Rabby just released the info to Peegs that I said this morning Candle, Hart, and Chryst will meet in person. Herman and Creighton would be next, then Frye. 

Some people's posts are becoming unhinged as well. Take a deep breath. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

From the other board:

Rabby just released the info to Peegs that I said this morning Candle, Hart, and Chryst will meet in person. Herman and Creighton would be next, then Frye. 

Some people's posts are becoming unhinged as well. Take a deep breath. 

evergreen statement