Cheating in CBB

Seeking mentioned something in the Watford thread that caught my eye.  He mentioned John Wooden and Sam Gilbert which is completely true.  Yes the "Wizard of Westwood" cheated.  But the first guy to get nailed was Adolph Rupp at UK.  A lot of people forget they actually cancelled a season because of pay for play.

I believe Kaintucky actually got The Death Penalty around 1954 because of a point shaving Scandal !! I also believe because of that point shaving Scandal  , Kaintucky decided to start paying their recruits under the table so those recruits would not have to get involved with point shaving any more !!!!!!

3 hours ago, hoosiertildeath said:

I believe Kaintucky actually got The Death Penalty around 1954 because of a point shaving Scandal !! I also believe because of that point shaving Scandal  , Kaintucky decided to start paying their recruits under the table so those recruits would not have to get involved with point shaving any more !!!!!!

They did get the first "Death Penalty".  They canceled the 52-53 season.  It involved a quite of few things.  But history doesn't remember that.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember the point shaving scandal and EVERY Recruiting and Academic scandal those cheaters have received during my 70 years of following college hoops !! I may not recall the exact year it came out , but I do REMEMBER THEIR ENTIRE HISTORY OF CHEATING OVER THE PAST 70 SEASONS !! I absolutely almost hate those cheating ( censure )  as much as I DESPISE the pee yew smellermakers !!

I think Wooden gets more attention for cheating for several reasons. First, the sports media is constantly talking about how great Wooden was as a coach and person and the push back to point out that Wooden was cheater is a natural result of that. Rupp is largely ignored by the media. Secondly, Wooden was a far more successful cheater in terms of championships. Third, Wooden was never punished nor was UCLA while he was there. 

46 minutes ago, hoosierBGH said:

I think Wooden gets more attention for cheating for several reasons. First, the sports media is constantly talking about how great Wooden was as a coach and person and the push back to point out that Wooden was cheater is a natural result of that. Rupp is largely ignored by the media. Secondly, Wooden was a far more successful cheater in terms of championships. Third, Wooden was never punished nor was UCLA while he was there. 

Rupp was ignored by the media because everybody hated him outside of the state of Kentucky.

Archived