The Original Assembly Hall

After students at the end's of the original Assembly Hall complained about not being able see past the wooden backboards, Indiana University commissioned a local glass company to make and install glass backboards in 1916. Reported to be the first glass backboards in college basketball.

12 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

After students at the end's of the original Assembly Hall complained about not being able see past the wooden backboards, Indiana University commissioned a local glass company to make and install glass backboards in 1916. Reported to be the first glass backboards in college basketball.

https://healthyliving.azcentral.com/history-basketball-backboard-1380.html

12 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Those glass backboards were installed at the next home court -- the 7th street Men's Gymnasium.

42 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Those glass backboards were installed at the next home court -- the 7th street Men's Gymnasium.

The first game played at the 7th street Men's Gym came on January 9, 1917.  Against Iowa.  Indiana won 12-7.  And the low score was attributed to the players having a hard time adjusting to the glass backboards.    LOL

There does seem to be some conflicting reports about the backboards in terms of dates.... however, from my studies over the years.... I have come to the conclusions I have offered up today .

Back when I was a student, the building was known as the HPER building.   And that is where I went to register for classes. No computers.  All paper.

20 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

The first game played at the 7th street Men's Gym came on January 9, 1917.  Against Iowa.  Indiana won 12-7.  And the low score was attributed to the players having a hard time adjusting to the glass backboards.    LOL

There does seem to be some conflicting reports about the backboards in terms of dates.... however, from my studies over the years.... I have come to the conclusions I have offered up today .

Back when I was a student, the building was known as the HPER building.   And that is where I went to register for classes. No computers.  All paper.

It's much more interesting if we disagree on it -- it adds to the intrigue.  We'll have to go on a mission to confirm it.

7 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

It's much more interesting if we disagree on it -- it adds to the intrigue.  We'll have to go on a mission to confirm it.

Oh, I not disagreeing with you at all.  It's just that , as I say, as far as IU history goes, I find conflicting info and dates.  Partly due, I believe to record keeping at that time.  And perhaps some people, just going off of memory as well. 

Just a great article.  I love this kind of stuff.  And am looking forward to more from you in terms of the other homes IU has played basketball in. 

1 hour ago, TN_Hoosier said:

I too registered for courses in the HPER building.  Quite the experience!

Ha. Ha.  One had to be careful, and quite literally  had to run from one table to the next, before the classes they wanted/needed most were closed.  Searching for a table offering the class you were looking for was a science unto it's own. 

Archived