Glass was on the Kent Sterling hsow yesterday

I know some IU fans especially on another site really does not like the job that Glass has done but I think he has done a fine job.  Sterling asked him what his priorities are when it comes to his athletic department and he said there are these priorities.

1) Win the right way and not cheat.

2) Keep his players healthy and safe

3) Athletes do well in school and graduate

4) Win and win championships.

I know there will be some fans who think Winning should be number 1 but I totally agree with his order of things when it comes to IU athletics.  On another site people were complaining about Glass's comment on expectations for the basketball team and was upset that he did come out with a clear cut expectation for this team.

Blah, blah, blah... More boring platitudes from Glass.  Apparently #2 wasn’t going so well for the football team under Wilson, but that’s probably why he was fired...  We’ll see how Allen works out, but I’m not convinced.

On the other hand, Archie is looking like a home run hire so far, so you have to give Glass credit for that.  And the basketball program is the only thing that matters at IU, so give him a lot of credit there.  As long as Archie has the right approach, who cares what Glass’s expectations are. 

And I don’t pay as much attention to these sports, but the soccer, baseball, and women’s basketball programs all seem to be in fairly good shape from what I can tell.  Overall, I don’t see much to complain about at the moment.

I think he's been an abysmal AD.  Archie definitely looks like a home run but I wouldn't give Fred any credit.  According to 0708 his hand was forced in firing Crean and had it been his choice the Clapper would've gotten a 10th year.  Oh and that buyout.  Not to mention how horrid the football team has been under his watch.

52 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I think he's been an abysmal AD.  Archie definitely looks like a home run but I wouldn't give Fred any credit.  According to 0708 his hand was forced in firing Crean and had it been his choice the Clapper would've gotten a 10th year.  Oh and that buyout.  Not to mention how horrid the football team has been under his watch.

So he hired the home run but gets no credit... that makes no sense.  The buyout had no effect on anything.  Crean was rightfully on the hot seat after the 14-15 season, then he saved his job with a conference championship and Sweet 16 run.  And after we bottomed out in 16-17 Glass fired him.  He honestly handled it the right way — firing Crean after that 14-15 season would have been VERY questionable, especially considering we actually made the tourney that year and were only two seasons removed from 12-13.   And even if he had pulled the trigger after that season, would we be better off now than we are with Archie?

As for the football team... I wasn’t even born the last time we made to back-to-back bowl games before Wilson did it.  I don’t get your personal grudge against Glass... There’s no way his tenure can be described as “abysmal.”

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

No doubt that several influential boosters along with at least one influential BOT member (who I just voted for to retain his seat), put the pressure on Mr. Glass to make a change.  In fact the one BOT member I know, actually was pushing hard for a replacement that did not make the commitment, in a timely manner.  Which caused Fred to go after Archie.  And I am happy that it worked out this way.

Personally, I don't have an issue with Mr. Glass.... keeping Crean past his time aside.  Glass has been a great fund raiser for improvements on the entire Athletic Department facilities.  Just take a look around.  Improvements under Glass like no other AD.  For years IU's athletic department was run in the red.  Not the case with Mr. Glass. Of course the BTN has helped enormously.  However, look at how many major donations he has been able to secure in order to improve facilities. He learned his craft along those lines in Indianapolis, before becoming AD.  The SEZ being only the latest. And the new wrestling and volleyball facility.... along with the improved golf course. Not even to mention Kaufman Stadium.  All this, considering that Ohio State, and Michigan make more money on any given home football game than IU does in an entire season. BB is our bread and butter. But Mr. Glass has gone out of the box to generate revenue to improve facilities all over IU's beautiful campus. 

Call me crazy... but I can't find fault with Mr. Glass. 

Fred has done a lot for IU athletics but I lost a lot of respect for the man with the Wilson and Crean firings.  Not that they shouldn't have been canned.  Just the way things went down in both situations.   Poorly handled and the players paid the price.

Hiring Archie saved his arse.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

48 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

So he hired the home run but gets no credit... that makes no sense.  The buyout had no effect on anything.  Crean was rightfully on the hot seat after the 14-15 season, then he saved his job with a conference championship and Sweet 16 run.  And after we bottomed out in 16-17 Glass fired him.  He honestly handled it the right way — firing Crean after that 14-15 season would have been VERY questionable, especially considering we actually made the tourney that year and were only two seasons removed from 12-13.   And even if he had pulled the trigger after that season, would we be better off now than we are with Archie?

As for the football team... I wasn’t even born the last time we made to back-to-back bowl games before Wilson did it.  I don’t get your personal grudge against Glass... There’s no way his tenure can be described as “abysmal.”

Crean absolutely should've been canned after year 7.  Any competent AD would've made that move.  After Crean was fired and Donovan wouldn't commit there were really only 3 logical choices in Archie, Marshall, and Mack.  And between those 3 it was essentially a coin flip and we still don't know who would've been the best hire.  I will give him credit for one thing...he didn't hire Alford.

And even if you disagree with me that Crean should've have been fired after year 7 virtually every IU fan in existence knew he had to go after year 9.  It was obvious.  And yet, Fred still didn't want to fire Crean and his hand had to be forced.  What does that tell you?

1 minute ago, Indy1987 said:

Fred has done a lot for IU athletics but I lost a lot of respect for the man with the Wilson and Crean firings.  Not that they shouldn't have been canned.  Just the way things went down in both situations.   Poorly handled and the players paid the price.

Hiring Archie saved his arse.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

Wilson was a problem from the day he stepped on campus. 

Crean helped clean up a dirty program the day he stayed on campus.

In each case, Mr. Glass and his loyalty to two coaches , IMHO is what caused him problems in the eyes of IU fans.

Wilson should have been let go before he ever coached a game at IU.  In the end, it was Wilson that caused his firing, and Mr. Glass did the right thing in letting him go.

In Crean's case.... Glass should have never come with the extension that he did.

Still. I can't find fault with either hire.... in that in both cases we saw some lights of hope. 

6 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Crean absolutely should've been canned after year 7.  Any competent AD would've made that move.  After Crean was fired and Donovan wouldn't commit there were really only 3 logical choices in Archie, Marshall, and Mack.  And between those 3 it was essentially a coin flip and we still don't know who would've been the best hire.  I will give him credit for one thing...he didn't hire Alford.

No, very few ADs would have fired a coach who took over a massive rebuild, was two seasons removed from the program’s best season in a decade, and who also just made the tournament.  Most would have done exactly what he did.  But even assuming he did fire him after year 7, who would we have hired in 2015 better than Archie?

Edit - Not to mention we won a conference title and beat UK in the tournament in 2016.  The program would not be any better off right now if Crean had been fired in 2015.

Just now, milehiiu said:

Wilson was a problem from the day he stepped on campus. 

Crean helped clean up a dirty program the day he stayed on campus.

In each case, Mr. Glass and his loyalty to two coaches , IMHO is what caused him problems in the eyes of IU fans.

Wilson should have been let go before he ever coached a game at IU.  In the end, it was Wilson that caused his firing, and Mr. Glass did the right thing in letting him go.

In Crean's case.... Glass should have never come with the extension that he did.

Still. I can't find fault with either hire.... in that in both cases we saw some lights of hope. 

I was okay with the hires but when things went south Fred sat on his hands.   I will never forget the NIT forfeiture(he gave that game away to save CTC's face) That was an absolute joke.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

14 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

I was okay with the hires but when things went south Fred sat on his hands.   I will never forget the NIT forfeiture(he gave that game away to save CTC's face) That was an absolute joke.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

This is a legit criticism.  That NIT game was a total disaster at the time — embarrassing as a fan.  But with hindsight, the whole transition process from Crean to Archie has been handled pretty well.  That makes it easier to forget about.

15 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

This is a legit criticism.  That NIT game was a total disaster at the time — embarrassing as a fan.  But with hindsight, the whole transition process from Crean to Archie has been handled pretty well.  That makes it easier to forget about.

Yep.  The Archie hire saved his butt and makes him look good now.   I don't even want to think about where we would be had he missed on Donavon, Arch and Marshall.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

And even if you disagree with me that Crean should've have been fired after year 7 virtually every IU fan in existence knew he had to go after year 9.  It was obvious.  And yet, Fred still didn't want to fire Crean and his hand had to be forced.  What does that tell you?

No he shouldn't have. Literally should not have been fired after year 7... not even close. 

Baseball(cusp of being a BIG time program), Soccer, Swimming, T&F all in as good of shape as they've ever been. (Swimming is close). Softball just had a very solid year in year 1 of their coach. Allen is going to get the job done. Archie well.. I think we all understand that part. If you're still complaining about Glass, quite honestly idk what to tell you.... but I mean.. Romeo is going to Vandy (it's obvious). He cant say no to Garland. 

15 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

How has the football team been horrid since Glass got here since they have made their only two bowl games in the last 25 years under Glass.

12 hours ago, btownqb said:

No he shouldn't have. Literally should not have been fired after year 7... not even close. 

You just have to remember the poster you are responding to goes to another board where this type of posting is very common  They hate everything that Crean or Glass ever did and they can't see past their hate for them

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You just have to remember the poster you are responding to goes to another board where this type of posting is very common  They hate everything that Crean or Glass ever did and they can't see past their hate for them

As you said there are plenty on IU fans out there who hated Crean much more than me.  Your buddy fpeaugh says hi.  This board is an outlier in that regard. 

I still remember when he wasn't.   Almost every IU fan out there except the sunshine pumpers on this board were stunned.

That you tube video is classic.  Many truths in it, and has only gotten better with the passage of time. And your timing to recall it, and place it at this time in this thread is stunning. 

"Even that idiot, Dakich was 1-0 against NW".   Classic !

I think I laughed harder today viewing it, than ever before.  And for that, my friend you receive today's milehiiu.... Mile High Salute. 

Thanks for the smiles. 

25 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

As you said there are plenty on IU fans out there who hated Crean much more than me.  Your buddy fpeaugh says hi.  This board is an outlier in that regard. 

Wait... you hated Crean? As in disliked him SO MUCH in his ability to coach basketball that you HATED him? Do you even hear yourself? 

This board isn't an outlier there are just more idiots on the internet. Just because you (not particularly you) live in Indiana and own keyboard does it make you a D1 basketball coach. 

14 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

No, very few ADs would have fired a coach who took over a massive rebuild, was two seasons removed from the program’s best season in a decade, and who also just made the tournament.  Most would have done exactly what he did.  But even assuming he did fire him after year 7, who would we have hired in 2015 better than Archie?

Edit - Not to mention we won a conference title and beat UK in the tournament in 2016.  The program would not be any better off right now if Crean had been fired in 2015.

0708 said on this very site that year that had we lost the ND game Crean wouldn't have lasted the week most likely.  He also said that if we didn't make at least the Elite 8 he was gone no matter what after year 7 and even if we made the Elite 8 it was 50/50 as to whether he'd be back.  Now obviously that was before the miracle b1G title run which obviously saved him.  If 0708 is reading maybe he can chime in as to how close Crean was to getting axed during year 7.

Archived