Steve Alford

rico

Due to the fact that Steve is an IU icon... I followed him on fan boards, both at Iowa and New Mexico.  The Iowa fans reviled him, while the New Mexico fans absolutely loved him. While Iowa refused Steve's requests to build a dedicated basketball practice facility, New Mexico spent millions and millions of dollars to renovate "The PIt" for Steve.

And when wind came that Steve was in talks with UCLA, New Mexico offered to raise his salary by $2.6 million per year.  Unlike Mark Few at Gonzaga, who has been offered more to leave and refuses to do so, Steve jumped at the money UCLA was offering. In retrospect.... a bad move, by Steve, IMHO. As Steve could have been loved for life at New Mexico.   Unlike Mark Few, Steve blew, what I believe to have been a very good thing, by leaving New Mexico for UCLA. 

I am editing this to add.  Having followed the UCLA fan boards as well, due to Steve.  They were not thrilled by the hire from the get go. And now, I think the  UCLA hate for Steve even surpasses the hate the Iowa fans held for him.   Again.... should have stayed in Albq.  Home of some of the greatest Mexican food in America.  Who doesn't love great Mexican food ?  (:D)

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Mark Few is the smartest coach in the world.  Very few, if any, coaches would have stayed like he did.  Their egos always get in the way (and Alford has a large one).  

Yes he has made a great choice in not following the trend of many coaches.  if you have not please take the time to watch the footwork of his players. He spends so much time on it and it shows. Guys are always in a ready position to be able to do anything offensively. It was showcased in the win over Duke.  Any young coaches out there take the time and make contact with him and his staff and learn how to teach footwork

17 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Due to the fact that Steve is an IU icon... I followed him on fan boards, both at Iowa and New Mexico.  The Iowa fans reviled him, while the New Mexico fans absolutely loved him. While Iowa refused Steve's requests to build a dedicated basketball practice facility, New Mexico spent millions and millions of dollars to renovate "The PIt" for Steve.

And when wind came that Steve was in talks with UCLA, New Mexico offered to raise his salary by $2.6 million per year.  Unlike Mark Few at Gonzaga, who has been offered more to leave and refuses to do so, Steve jumped at the money UCLA was offering. In retrospect.... a bad move, by Steve, IMHO. As Steve could have been loved for life at New Mexico.   Unlike Mark Few, Steve blew, what I believe to have been a very good thing, by leaving New Mexico for UCLA. 

I am editing this to add.  Having followed the UCLA fan boards as well, due to Steve.  They were not thrilled by the hire from the get go. And now, I think the  UCLA hate for Steve even surpasses the hate the Iowa fans held for him.   Again.... should have stayed in Albq.  Home of some of the greatest Mexican food in America.  Who doesn't love great Mexican food ?  (:D)

I remember he had to issue an apology for how he handled the Pierre Pierce situation in his first week at UCLA.

33 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Mark Few is the smartest coach in the world.  Very few, if any, coaches would have stayed like he did.  Their egos always get in the way (and Alford has a large one).  

I agree...plus he's from the northwest and is an avid fly fisherman.  He's quite content, I'm guessing, with what he's built at Gonzaga.  Winning the NCAA tournament isn't a stretch, by any means.  Why leave?  Alford couldn't help himself.  The lure of LA...the Big time name UCLA was too much, so he jumped at it.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Well, he saw what happened to Dan Monson...the guy that put the Zags on the map.

41 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I agree...plus he's from the northwest and is an avid fly fisherman.  He's quite content, I'm guessing, with what he's built at Gonzaga.  Winning the NCAA tournament isn't a stretch, by any means.  Why leave?  Alford couldn't help himself.  The lure of LA...the Big time name UCLA was too much, so he jumped at it.

And I feel, before long....L.A will prove to be too much for the man .

They are already talking about replacements for Steve on one of the UCLA fan boards

Archived