Early foul trouble

KoB2011

What does everyone think is the proper thing to do with early foul trouble? Obviously, each situation is different so this is more of a general rule. 

CAM seems to sit guys for the remainder of the half when they get two fouls, no matter who it is. What do you think of that? How might that have impacted is against Arkansas, for example?

During the broadcast last night, Max Bielfeldt said when he went to Cameron Indoor to play (and he didn't say whether it was with Michigan or IU) Ted Valentine walked up to him and said something to the effect that they'd better get up 10 points early in that place...

Don't know whether Ted meant it was due to the environment or his refereeing, but either way he was right...

I’ve had this question for years. 

I suppose it goes with your risk tolerance— but I think it also should involve reading the way the game is being officiated. 

On the one hand, you don’t want your key players having 3 fouls early or in the first half, and you know you have the second half to bring adjustments to and to go on a run. 

On the other hand, you don’t want to have to play out of a deep hole, and if you’re on the road getting a come back win is almost always more difficult. So road v home also is a factor. At home you can get the crowd behind you for the second half run, probably same for neutral court. 

For me, if it’s the road I lean towards playing through the first two fouls, at least if they’re not very early in the first 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I suppose it goes with your risk tolerance— but I think it also should involve reading the way the game is being officiated. 

On the one hand, you don’t want your key players having 3 fouls early or in the first half, and you know you have the second half to bring adjustments to and to go on a run. 

On the other hand, you don’t want to have to play out of a deep hole, and if you’re on the road getting a come back win is almost always more difficult. So road v home also is a factor. At home you can get the crowd behind you for the second half run, probably same for neutral court. 

For me, if it’s the road I lean towards playing through the first two fouls, at least if they’re not very early in the first 

Good post and your logic makes sense.

16 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Somewhere along the line, the thinking changed about this. Back in the day, you didn't sit until your 3rd foul in the 1st half from what I remember.

I agree with your thinking. Officiating, situation, road vs home, and the player all factor in.

Just now, IUFLA said:

Somewhere along the line, the thinking changed about this. Back in the day, you didn't sit until your 3rd foul in the 1st half from what I remember.

I agree with your thinking. Officiating, situation, road vs home, and the player all factor in.

Remember the '83 championship game?  Drexler picked up his 4th foul late in the 1st half!

Don't recall who the analyst was, but heard a comment on the " two foul you sit" issue that was interesting.  Basically, the guy thought if you sat your player early in the first half that you really needed to bring him back in before the half ended or you risked the player not being able to really get back into the flow of your game plan.

Archived