Like MacArthur to the Philippines...

Zlinedavid

5 hours ago, rico said:

Where ya been Dave?

All but frozen in Carbonite.

Seriously, 12 months of work-related chaos. A year ago April, I had absorbed about 1/3 of the workload of the director I previously reported to. Tolerable on its own, but just as I was getting re-settled, in October, it was announced my company was being acquired. So, several months of tension, but thankfully I was retained. However, the acquiring company vastly underestimated their ability to absorb our operations, and let a few too many people go.

I was one of the few that was retained that had the technical/IT knowledge to coherently communicate with the new "support" groups about how things should work. The only problem, I'm the least experienced employee that was retained, with a little over 2 years in my current industry. Fortunately, I've also got a pretty good knack for just figuring things out, and am also a hard headed SOB who doesn't know when to quit. When you've got the ability for 30+ other people to do their jobs unintentionally dumped in your lap, it's either get the hell out and don't ever look back, or get busy. So, I found myself reading public utility tariffs at 1:30 am, taught myself the basics of PL-SQL, Apex-SOQL and C#, learned the ins and outs of public utility EDI standards for 3 different states and hit Gold level on Delta's SkyMiles from flying back and forth from company HQ. Oh, and the job title I was hired in for.....sales.

Stressful? Absolutely. Worth it? So far, yes.

2 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Seriously, 12 months of work-related chaos. A year ago April, I had absorbed about 1/3 of the workload of the director I previously reported to. Tolerable on its own, but just as I was getting re-settled, in October, it was announced my company was being acquired. So, several months of tension, but thankfully I was retained. However, the acquiring company vastly underestimated their ability to absorb our operations, and let a few too many people go.

I was one of the few that was retained that had the technical/IT knowledge to coherently communicate with the new "support" groups about how things should work. The only problem, I'm the least experienced employee that was retained, with a little over 2 years in my current industry. Fortunately, I've also got a pretty good knack for just figuring things out, and am also a hard headed SOB who doesn't know when to quit. When you've got the ability for 30+ other people to do their jobs unintentionally dumped in your lap, it's either get the hell out and don't ever look back, or get busy. So, I found myself reading public utility tariffs at 1:30 am, taught myself the basics of PL-SQL, Apex-SOQL and C#, learned the ins and outs of public utility EDI standards for 3 different states and hit Gold level on Delta's SkyMiles from flying back and forth from company HQ. Oh, and the job title I was hired in for.....sales.

Wow, impressive!! Glad to see you again Zlinedavid!

14 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Wowsers, in any case good to see you back.

Archived