Race Thompson Cleared to Play

9 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Would he be able to play at the 5 so Morgan can play at his more natural position?

I'm not sure if he can play the 5, but what is the impact to this team if he can take some minutes from Justin Smith and be a guy at the 4 spot that can finish around the rim in traffic, hit an open jumper or even some 3's and not make dumb turnovers? That would give this offense a huge jolt and create space for Morgan, Langford and Phinisee. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I'm not sure if he can play the 5, but what is the impact to this team if he can take some minutes from Justin Smith and be a guy at the 4 spot that can finish around the rim in traffic, hit an open jumper or even some 3's and not make dumb turnovers? That would give this offense a huge jolt and create space for Morgan, Langford and Phinisee. 

Yeah no matter which position he plays, we just desperately need someone with some 'skills'. I know McRoberts and Smith play hard, but they're not adequately skilled for Archie really to put them on any spot. I don't remember Thompson was a decent long range shooter though. 

24 minutes ago, BGleas said:

That would be great if he could do even some of that stuff. Just can't forget he's basically never played college basketball before, and will now, after missing 10 weeks of practice, have to do that stuff against the best B1G we've seen in a while.

4 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

That would be great if he could do even some of that stuff. Just can't forget he's basically never played college basketball before, and will now, after missing 10 weeks of practice, have to do that stuff against the best B1G we've seen in a while.

You act like just because nobody on the team has been able to do it so far that it's hard....Don Calzone had been on the IR for 2 years and had 6 points total this year, but he went off for 7 million points against us.  Seeing that, I will be majorly dissapointed if Race has anything less than 15 points (2-3 from 3pt), 12 rebounds, 10 blocks, 11 assists, sings the national anthem, wipes up all the sweat when guys fall down and carries a flag durring the under 8 timeout in the 5-7 minutes he might play in hus first game.  If he can shoot 60%+ from the freethrow line to go with it, that'd just be gravy.

14 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

You act like just because nobody on the team has been able to do it so far that it's hard....Don Calzone had been on the IR for 2 years and had 6 points total this year, but he went off for 7 million points against us.  Seeing that, I will be majorly dissapointed if Race has anything less than 15 points (2-3 from 3pt), 12 rebounds, 10 blocks, 11 assists, sings the national anthem, wipes up all the sweat when guys fall down and carries a flag durring the under 8 timeout in the 5-7 minutes he might play in hus first game.  If he can shoot 60%+ from the freethrow line to go with it, that'd just be gravy.

How could I ever forget about ole Donnie Calzone? My apologies

IMO once he gets his game legs going(probably 3 games or so), he will play very important minutes at the 4 position.  Right now we are playing McBob and Smith at the 4 position a lot with Fitzner sprinkled in.  I think Race can get 15 minutes or so at the four spot which would give us a good spark off of the bench.  It has been so long since I have seen highlights and such of Race I forgot what his strengths and weaknesses are lol

4 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

IMO once he gets his game legs going(probably 3 games or so), he will play very important minutes at the 4 position.  Right now we are playing McBob and Smith at the 4 position a lot with Fitzner sprinkled in.  I think Race can get 15 minutes or so at the four spot which would give us a good spark off of the bench.  It has been so long since I have seen highlights and such of Race I forgot what his strengths and weaknesses are lol

I hope so, not only for our pleasure but for the young man's sake.  I don't have any kind of expectations.  Frankly, I don't know (or remember) anything about what he did in H.S..  I couldn't tell you what his strengths or weaknesses are.  Having had a year to develop his body and game should have given him a head-start over a true freshman, but game action is invaluable.  With having missed so much time, he probably is behind where he was in October, so I'll put no pressure on him.

Truthfully, Hunter is going to have some of the same "handicaps" when he returns.  Significant injures really suck.

Archived