Losing recruits

A lot has broken out in the KBJ thread/s in the recruiting forum.  So I thought I would start a thread discussing how many players within the state that not only did not choose IU, but spurned Purdue and Notre Dame as well.  My timeline starts with the Knight era because of my age.  So off the top of my head in no particular order...

Jason Gardner...Arizona

Kenny Lofton...Arizona

Kris Wilkes...UCLA

Dominic James...Marquette

Eric Montross...North Carolina

Dave Colescott...North Carolina

Rick Fox...North Carolina

Sean May...North Carolina

Shawn Kemp...Kentucky

Jim Master...Kentucky

Roger Harden...Kentucky

James Blackmon Sr....Kentucky

And there are many more...add to the list.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, rico said:

A lot has broken out in the KBJ thread/s in the recruiting forum.  So I thought I would start a thread discussing how many players within the state that not only did not choose IU, but spurned Purdue and Notre Dame as well.  My timeline starts with the Knight era because of my age.  So off the top of my head in no particular order...

Jason Gardner...Arizona

Kenny Lofton...Arizona

Kris Wilkes...UCLA

Dominic James...Marquette

Eric Montross...North Carolina

Dave Colescott...North Carolina

Rick Fox...North Carolina

Sean May...North Carolina

Shawn Kemp...Kentucky

Jim Master...Kentucky

Roger Harden...Kentucky

James Blackmon Sr....Kentucky

And there are many more...add to the list.

Kenny Lofton is from Indiana?

1 minute ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Mike Conley.... Ohio St

Kyle Guy.... Virginia(not sure if IU offered this kid or not)

Paul Scruggs.....Xavier

here are a few more.....

Don't forget about Oden and Zach Randolph. But this list could get really big. Indiana has produced a ton of a talent. 

1 minute ago, OGIUAndy said:

Don't forget about Oden and Zach Randolph. But this list could get really big. Indiana has produced a ton of a talent. 

That is the point...the state has lost a lot of recruits to out of state schools.

1 minute ago, rico said:

That is the point...the state has lost a lot of recruits to out of state schools.

There's just too much talent for Indiana schools to absorb.  That's a great problem to have but it also means the state is never truly locked down.  I just want Archie to get more than his fair share of the best and thus far, there's a strong argument he is.

Just now, FKIM01 said:

There's just too much talent for Indiana schools to absorb.  That's a great problem to have but it also means the state is never truly locked down.  I just want Archie to get more than his fair share of the best and thus far, there's a strong argument he is.

Exactly.

DeShaun Thomas...Ohio St.

Steve Nicodemus...Michigan St.

David Magley...Kansas

Mark Jewell...Iowa 

Jeff Moe...Iowa

Scott Hafner...Illinois

There are more.......

8 minutes ago, rico said:

But isn't that true of numerous other states? I mean a list of Texas kids, New York kids, Cali kids, etc., would likely be longer. 

Kids go to out-of-state programs from every state, all the time.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

But isn't that true of numerous other states? I mean a list of Texas kids, New York kids, Cali kids, etc., would likely be longer. 

agree...nothing new here.

Imagine how long the list would be of Florida kids who leave the state to play football elsewhere.

36 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

But nobody gets worked up about it like the state of Indiana.

4 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Because we have the best talent.

AND best HS coaches, and I don't think it's even close.

We need to keep these kids home. 

I think Archie is trying his best but you can't make kids go to IU if they are not interested.  I don't know what else Archie can have done to try to get KB to IU

1 minute ago, RoadToZion said:

That's not what I am saying. I was just responding to why Indiana people get so worked up. It's because we have the best players and coaches, and want to keep those kids in our state.

I don't really believe that is still true because the high school games I have watched the last few years pretty much look like what we see every where. They run the same kind of offense in Indiana high school that you will see anywhere else.  I want to keep the best players from the state as well but I know we will not get everyone.  I really don't care where the player comes from as long as they are really good players who plays hard.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't really believe that is still true because the high school games I have watched the last few years pretty much look like what we see every where. They run the same kind of offense in Indiana high school that you will see anywhere else.  I want to keep the best players from the state as well but I know we will not get everyone.  I really don't care where the player comes from as long as they are really good players who plays hard.

I started this thread for a particular reason...to talk about kids that left the state.  Not to talk about play, not where out of state kids go.  The focus is on the state of Indiana and OUR HS players.

1 minute ago, rico said:

I started this thread for a particular reason...to talk about kids that left the state.  Not to talk about play, not where out of state kids go.  The focus is on the state of Indiana and OUR HS players.

Just responding to the poster quote about coaching and players being better in Indiana than any other state.  I guess I need to ask your permission on how to respond to a poster who was not yourself so maybe you should just stay out of other peoples conversation.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just responding to the poster quote about coaching and players being better in Indiana than any other state.  I guess I need to ask your permission on how to respond to a poster who was not yourself so maybe you should just stay out of other peoples conversation.

That is funny Scott, you went on a different tangent.  Go back to Old School.

Just now, rico said:

That is funny Scott, you went on a different tangent.  Go back to Old School.

I gave you 5 or 6 names of kids without any other thing in the post.  I was just stating I don't think the players and coaches are any better in this state than a lot of other states.  I did not know you were the master of this board and have to get you permission on what to post.  If you don't like what I post then put me on ignore and by the way you are becoming just like your avatar.

Archived