Illinois Postgame Thread

KDB

13 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Ohh, You got me.  I don't live in Indiana... now.  But I have been an avid IU fan for decades, and Life Time Member of the IUAA.  And I saw the impact Romeo had on the IU fan base long before ever donning the Candy Strips. Followed him pretty closely, as a matter of fact. Read the stories and watched the videos of his games, and post game meet and greets. Watched and read about the BB court being named after him.  Even conversed with people who know and talk to his parents. So don't give me that, I was not aware of his impact before IU, just because I don't live in the great state of Indiana, any longer.

So.... what constitutes an IU icon ?   I will give some examples.  All of which, though I live in Colorado now.... I have seen with my own eyes.  Guys that have accomplished things in an IU uniform, that Romeo will never come close to accomplishing in an IU uniform. Romeo would have to stay for more than one year, and in some cases two or more years, in order to accomplish what some of  these guys did :

Jimmy Rayl....  Two time IU game scoring record. I saw both times he scored 56 points.

Don Schlunt... I was a youngster when Don became a three time All-American for IU.

Steve Alford.... Concensus All-American.

Walt Bellamy..... I watched as "The Big Bell" became not one but a two time Big Ten player of the year.

Kent Benson.... Two time All-American.

Calbert Cheaney.... National Player of the Year ---- and, IU's leading all time scorer.

Archie Dees..... I watched him as he became, not one but a two time Big Ten MVP.

Scott May.... 2 TIme Concensus All-American.

^^^^^^ These, good people of Hoosier Sports Nation are what I consider to be IU icons. 

Just to let you know...Big Mac was at IU for 2 years.  Freshmen were ineligible when he was there.

In the 1970–71 season at Indiana, McGinnis became the first sophomore to lead the Big Ten in scoring and rebounding. He averaged 29.9 points per game in his lone season in Bloomington earning All-American and All-Big Ten Honors in 1971.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That's great, for you. Some of us don't. 

It's good to know that being an All-American, Big Ten Player of the Year, Big Ten MVP, all time leading scorer in IU history, or the all time game high scorer is not great for you.

Gotcha.   Let's go with the most recent amount mediocrity, instead. 

6 minutes ago, rico said:

Just to let you know...Big Mac was at IU for 2 years.  Freshmen were ineligible when he was there.

In the 1970–71 season at Indiana, McGinnis became the first sophomore to lead the Big Ten in scoring and rebounding. He averaged 29.9 points per game in his lone season in Bloomington earning All-American and All-Big Ten Honors in 1971.

I was in school at INDIANA UNIVERSITY when freshman were not allowed to play. 

Notice, I did not list McGinnis. 

Today.... players DO have a choice.  And some of them, choose to move on, after just one year.  As was said earlier in this thread.... freshman can't carry a team on their back, much less go down in the annals of IUBB history. 

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

I was in school at INDIANA UNIVERSITY when freshman were not allowed to play.  He had no control over that. And despite that, became a two time BIG player of the year.

Today.... players DO have a choice.  And some of them, choose to move on, after just one year.  As was said earlier in this thread.... freshman can't carry a team on their back, much less go down in the annals of IUBB history. 

He could have went pro right out of HS.  He had that choice.  But he came to Bloomington.

16 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

It's good to know that being an All-American, Big Ten Player of the Year, Big Ten MVP, all time leading scorer in IU history, or the all time game high scorer is not great for you.

Gotcha.   Let's go with the most recent amount mediocrity, instead. 

Romeo is better than all of those in HS. You don't get to tell people who is and isn't an Indiana icon. Why is this so hard for you? 

Maybe we should distinguish between Indiana basketball icons and IU basketball icons.  Mile didn't even list Damon and he is hands down the biggest icon in the history of Indiana basketball.  

No, his IU and pro careers may not have measured up to some of those that were listed, but let's not kid ourself into believing that diminishes his icon status.

Everybody has an opinion on who the Hoosier icons are.  My personal take is it's certainly how you performed while you played for IU, but it's also what kind of a representative you were for your school both during and after your time here, and how loyal you were/are to your alma otter....oops...mater.

32 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Everybody has an opinion on who the Hoosier icons are.  My personal take is it's certainly how you performed while you played for IU, but it's also what kind of a representative you were for your school both during and after your time here, and how loyal you were/are to your alma chipmunk....oops...mater.

Magnus Pelkowski was an icon....JMO

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

I was in school at INDIANA UNIVERSITY when freshman were not allowed to play. 

Notice, I did not list McGinnis. 

EJ says hello. That team was 24-4 before the Sampson NCAA rules explosion.

Players today, at least before it's changed again, also do not have the choice to go pro directly from high school. Not meaning to get into a debate, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but don't understand the need to treat frosh who have the opportunity to go pro after their frosh seasons and choose to do so, for all kinds of reasons, after playing great ball for IU, differently just because they follow their dream. Most players go pro if and when they have the opportunity, most players chase their dream. That doesn't make them somehow less significant.

5 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I'm actually on your side for most of this, but EJ didn't carry that team.  Having two guys the caliber of EJ and DJ White had a double "Romeo/Rob" effect.  Teams couldn't collapse into the paint, or EJ would burn them outside.  And DJ could handle most anyone 1-on-1 inside if you didn't double him. 

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. I battle it every single day. I wish Thomas Bryant was on this team still. Haha

2013-14 would look a lot different with a lineup of Yogi, Oladipo, Sheehey, Zeller and Vonleh. 
2014-15: Yogi, Zeller, Vonleh, Williams, Blackmon (still a meh team, but with a Sr Cody, what else would you need)
2015-16: Yogi, Vonleh, Bryant, Williams, Blackmon
2016-17: Vonleh, Bryant, Williams, Blackmon and......yeesh....yeah, this team was sunk either way. 

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Romeo's impact on the program will extend well beyond the time he actually plays.  He will create recruiting momentum, especially within the state.

That's what we said about Cody Zeller.  Yet Cody failed to bring a NCAAT title to IU. 

28 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I'm actually on your side for most of this, but EJ didn't carry that team.  Having two guys the caliber of EJ and DJ White had a double "Romeo/Rob" effect.  Teams couldn't collapse into the paint, or EJ would burn them outside.  And DJ could handle most anyone 1-on-1 inside if you didn't double him. 

That's a fair take. EJ led the team in scoring, he was our dominant scorer, but DJ was of course dominant inside. EJ shot it from outside but was more a driver and slasher, though. My take is that EJ did carry that team, they wouldn't have been 24-4 without his dominant scoring, but again, fair take.

18 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

2013-14 would look a lot different with a lineup of Yogi, Oladipo, Sheehey, Zeller and Vonleh. 
2014-15: Yogi, Zeller, Vonleh, Williams, Blackmon (still a meh team, but with a Sr Cody, what else would you need)
2015-16: Yogi, Vonleh, Bryant, Williams, Blackmon
2016-17: Vonleh, Bryant, Williams, Blackmon and......yeesh....yeah, this team was sunk either way. 

Seriously. Happy for the guys but boy...at least a couple F4's there. 

41 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Players today, at least before it's changed again, also do not have the choice to go pro directly from high school. Not meaning to get into a debate, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but don't understand the need to treat frosh who have the opportunity to go pro after their frosh seasons and choose to do so, for all kinds of reasons, after playing great ball for IU, differently just because they follow their dream. Most players go pro if and when they have the opportunity, most players chase their dream. That doesn't make them somehow less significant.

Just so I understand you...you're saying Romeo is iconic because of what he's done at IU...Or what he's done as a hs and college player?  It's all fine with me either way.  😁

37 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I find it pretty repulsive when grown adults don't want what is best for a teenager because it doesn't serve their own self-interest. 

It's not self serving.  It's wanting what is best for IU.  What is repulsive about wanting the best for your University ?  I find it repulsive when IU fans don't care enough to want what is best for IU.  Using IU as a stepping stone for one year, in order to benefit a player financially, is what I consider to be self-interested. 

'

Just now, jv1972iu said:

Just so I understand you...you're saying Romeo is iconic because of what he's done at IU...Or what he's done as a hs and college player?

I wasn't responding to the iconic label. With the way this season has gone he may not be considered "iconic" however one wants to define that, but he's clearly one of the best players we've had, and he may well end up an NBA star -- another one -- out of IU. 

Archived