young Gregg Marshall vs young Archie Miller

Gregg Marshall is who I wanted to be hired when Crean was canned. I truly think he is a top 3 coach in cbb. 

Anyways, we got Archie who everyone lauded as a great hire. Way back then (when I still had time to write) I did a quick analysis comparing a young Archie vs a young Marshall and thought it might be interesting to bring back up. 

Feel free to read the entire article or just check out the comparison chart. The chart has enough info to hopefully continue to give some optimism. 

http://www.indysportspartizan.com/2017/06/10/overanalysis-of-the-iubb-hire-archie-miller-vs-gregg-marshalls-first-6-seasons/

Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 11.01.51 AM.png

22 hours ago, hoosier8760 said:

After two years of Archie what he did at Dayton is becoming increasingly irrelevant...

Meh. Talk to me after year 3. His guys just finished their freshman year. He made progress from year 1 to 2, more wins, post season tournament. He actually regressed at Dayton from year 1 to 2. Then year 3 was a big leap. 

Archie has said from day 1 it will take 3 years to get his system implemented. Well we are 2/3 of the way there. NCAA tournament is the goal next year. Keep on progressing. 

19 hours ago, Feathery said:

Meh. Talk to me after year 3. His guys just finished their freshman year. He made progress from year 1 to 2, more wins, post season tournament. He actually regressed at Dayton from year 1 to 2. Then year 3 was a big leap. 

Archie has said from day 1 it will take 3 years to get his system implemented. Well we are 2/3 of the way there. NCAA tournament is the goal next year. Keep on progressing. 

My question is, were there this many people upset with CTC after his second season being the coach at IU?  Lets see a record breakdown of CTC shall we through his first 5 years at IU compared to Archie.

Coach Tom Crean:

2008-2009: 6-25

2009-2010: 10-21

2010-2011: 12-20

2011-2012: 27-9(Sweet 16 appearance)

2012-2013: 29-7(Sweet 16 appearance)

Coach Archie Miller:

2017-2018: 16-15

2018-2019: 19-16(NIT Quarterfinals).  

2019-2020:

2020-2021:

2021-2022:

Anyone upset with Archie lets give him a break(yes CAM has some flaws but doesn't every coach to some point???), if at the end of year 4 we have not made the NCAA tournament and made it say to at least the 2nd rd or sweet 16 then we can revisit our thoughts about Archie.  It took Crean 4 years to get to the NCAA Tournament with IU.  If Archie and company improve say 2 games next season they are in the tournament.  Just my two cents. 

This was a best seller book including various videos modeling his Phoenix offense, Carolina transitions, transition triggers, transition drills and Q&A. I found the overview very insightful and really opened my eyes on what Archie has been trying to implement at IU. This best seller book, including videos were all possible because of his success and recruiting players to fit his style while at Dayton. His success was noted starting in year 3. Lastly, check out the reviews from coaches who bought his book and used his videos to better their teams....

https://www.championshipproductions.com/cgi-bin/champ/p/Basketball/Archie-Miller-Accelerating-Your-Transition-Offense_BD-04862.html

Archived