Oversign Open Open Open Open

Freshman
Sophomore
Junior
Senior

• KDB pinned this topic

46 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It should stop at 11 every year.

I'm going to have to give my reasons for why I disagree.

First, after this past season, one in which we had six potential rotation players miss six or more games due to injury or suspension.  

Second, if the goal is to get old and stay old, if you have one or even two players leave by their junior year for pros or transfer we're back to square one.  

The flip side of that, in this day and age you can reload quickly with nice graduate transfers but even CAM has said it takes 3 years to learn the system.  

Therefore, if a local kid like Windham or our own Demezi needs 3-4 years to truly develop and be a significant rotation contributor,  so long as they fit culture wise and are ok with that process,  I don't care if they are the 11th or 12th guy. 

And I love the idea of always having a scholarship available for last-minute additions in the transfer market.  

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm going to have to give my reasons for why I disagree.

First, after this past season, one in which we had six potential rotation players miss six or more games due to injury or suspension.  

Second, if the goal is to get old and stay old, if you have one or even two players leave by their junior year for pros or transfer we're back to square one.  

The flip side of that, in this day and age you can reload quickly with nice graduate transfers but even CAM has said it takes 3 years to learn the system.  

Therefore, if a local kid like Windham or our own Demezi needs 3-4 years to truly develop and be a significant rotation contributor,  so long as they fit culture wise and are ok with that process,  I don't care if they are the 11th or 12th guy. 

And I love the idea of always having a scholarship available for last-minute additions in the transfer market.  

I would like to see us to get to a point where we cans tart red shirting some of our freshman like Demezi or if we get Windham.  UW has done this for a long time and it really has helped them develop their players over 4 and 5 years.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I would like to see us to get to a point where we cans tart red shirting some of our freshman like Demezi or if we get Windham.  UW has done this for a long time and it really has helped them develop their players over 4 and 5 years.

I don't think Archie is opposed but you're also talking about societal culture asking kids to wait when they think they're superstars.  It would take a kid who's very grateful to have an offer and chance to play for Indiana University. 

Not sure if anyone else noticed this, but this is the most balanced our classes have been since pre-Sampson.  Rather than having one class of 6-7, followed by a class of 2, we're at 3 or 4 across the board.  That's got to be a stabilizing factor in recruiting, since the staff can focus in on specific needs vs trying to just accumulate any and all talent. 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

How good will our "failed" "class" of TJD, Armaan Franklin and Jerome Hunter eventually look? 

I see the potential for the Thomas Bryant/OG Anunoby/Juwan Morgan class.

I've said this before but if this year's freshman class is "failing", I can't wait to see what winning looks like.

• 1 month later...